Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...
View Poll Results: DO you have this rust problem
Found Rust in Doors
35.63%
Didnt Find Anyting
64.37%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Rust found on some Scion xB doors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

This is covered under the rust waranty, so check if you have it, and if you do, take it in to get looked at.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by eight08customs
yup pretty true I just came back fromt he dealership and they said something about beforre they can do anything has to have an hole... that is BS to me...
Not quite, read this again...

Originally Posted by Kremtok
From the "Owner's Warranty Information" Booklet at Scion.com (http://www.scion.com/assets/media/pd...arranty_04.pdf)

Corrosion Perforation Warranty
This warranty covers repair or replacement of any original body
panel that develops perforation from corrosion (rust-through),
subject to the exceptions indicated...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lexington, Kentucky checking in with a no rust in that particular area. Just ran out to the garage and checked. (Funny thing is the wife didn't even bat an eyelash, guess she's used to me going out there late at night...) My box is garage kept, but gets it fair share of water thrown on it. (I have been known to wash it 3-4 times in one week) My theory would have to be with the others as far as your climate contributing to the rust. I would just put some corrosion inhibitor on it and not mess with the dealership. Those clowns would probably just mess it up even more...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thaks guys keepo n checking we are noticing that the lighter colored cars like the white and the Silver showing up really bad
Old 04-25-2006, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I live in Maryland, about 15 minutes outside of Washington DC. . . I've had my TCM xB since August '04 and I just checked, no rust and no signs of rust on the corners of the doors.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi - We have 2 05 xBs, a blue one purchased in February '05 and a yellow RS 2.0 purchased in June of '05. We live on long Island east of NYC so we have somewhat similar evironmental issues being surrounded by salt water. Although I can clearly see that one or two of our eight doors (2 cars) corners are not very tight and could down the road be a source of water infiltration and rust through but right now it shows no signs of any rust there. What is the general issue of rust on other brands of cars in Hawaii?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i pulled back my black tape from the pillars, i saw the paint was already damaged. (looks like a light sanding) ill soon replace the pillar tape with long life vynal
Old 04-25-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rust

hey marshall. I just checked and guess what....my 2006 BSP xb has the rust...it sux &^#%^&%. WTF..ive had the car for only 3 months...dealer better fix this....
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by YellowSubxB
Hi - We have 2 05 xBs, a blue one purchased in February '05 and a yellow RS 2.0 purchased in June of '05. We live on long Island east of NYC so we have somewhat similar evironmental issues being surrounded by salt water. Although I can clearly see that one or two of our eight doors (2 cars) corners are not very tight and could down the road be a source of water infiltration and rust through but right now it shows no signs of any rust there. What is the general issue of rust on other brands of cars in Hawaii?
car in hawaii will rust if oyu live near the beach or go to the beach often... I wash my car at lease 2 times a week and wipe the door jambs.. I laways keep wax on my car... I check the XA and TC today at the dealership and those cars dont have that same seam like the Xbs do.. but unless your very **** in cleaning your car.. I dont think the normal drive would ever pull that door rubber back and look or wipe under there..

As for other cars rusting.. it takes years before a car will rust with just normal driving and washing your car once in a while.. but still a car thats a few months old having this rust problem so soon.. this issue, just imagine scions in about 5 years.. those doors will have holes in them. ..

Even if you use the rust proffing it wouldnt even be put in that area of the door... so we do have an issue... Im just trying to gather more info and pin point on what places other than hawaii is having this problem..
Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

guysin hawaii we all should go one day to Scion Hawaii service center to show them how many cars are havingthis problem... andif they dont do any thing abou this we all tell everyone before they buy a scion about this!!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...middle of the night, went out to carport and checked all four doors of my 2005 PW xB: Rear doors nothing visible, front doors, both have a very slight rust discoloration along that joint.

Considering the extremely limited amount of exposure this car has had (just over 5000 miles on the road), it is a bit worrysome to see incipient rust.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Tomas
...middle of the night, went out to carport and checked all four doors of my 2005 PW xB: Rear doors nothing visible, front doors, both have a very slight rust discoloration along that joint.

Considering the extremely limited amount of exposure this car has had (just over 5000 miles on the road), it is a bit worrysome to see incipient rust.
thank god (sorry you got effected) but we aint crazy here in Hawaii. Its way too soon to show any kind of rust.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

guess i know what i'll be checking in the morning when i get off work... sigh.. oh well.. hopefully nothing will be found....
Old 04-25-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A couple of days after I got my xB last NOvember I got into a heated garage and pulled the wheels off one by one and sprayed undercoat over all the exposed metal - bolts, brake lines, brackets holding brake lines, etc. Around here the salt on the road and the gravel (not sand but gravel) they spread on the roads in the winter are killer plus the humidity is insane most of the time. I think I will apply some "stuff" to the door corners also seeing I have a white xB which seems to be more prone to rusting. I wash mine constantly and keep it waxed.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Max
Originally Posted by eight08customs
yup pretty true I just came back fromt he dealership and they said something about beforre they can do anything has to have an hole... that is BS to me...
Not quite, read this again...

Originally Posted by Kremtok
From the "Owner's Warranty Information" Booklet at Scion.com (http://www.scion.com/assets/media/pd...arranty_04.pdf)

Corrosion Perforation Warranty
This warranty covers repair or replacement of any original body
panel that develops perforation from corrosion (rust-through),
subject to the exceptions indicated...
Dude, how's that "not quite" ?! That's exactly what that says.. it needs to have rusted all the way through and caused a hole before they'll touch it. Then, undoubtedly they'll make you prove there's no trees, salt, rain, or air where you've had your car. In all practicality there is no corrosion warranty on these cars. none.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HEY I checked again - duh - only checked the driver door last time and my right rear has some rust color on the paint and was very wet - sun doesn't get on that side much as it faces west next to a building that blocks the sun. Looks like more preventative measures are in order.
I worry about the hood also because the underside has drain holes to let water out but while you are driving in rain / whatever the air / water blows into those hood drains. My last car rusted out along that area.
Don't rely on the dealer to do anything about it - take action and do it yourself!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
Dude, how's that "not quite" ?! That's exactly what that says.. it needs to have rusted all the way through and caused a hole before they'll touch it. Then, undoubtedly they'll make you prove there's no trees, salt, rain, or air where you've had your car. In all practicality there is no corrosion warranty on these cars. none.
I meant it's "not quite" BS from his dealer. His dealer is backing up what the manual says. Is it BS that his car is rusting so soon? Yes. Is his dealer full of it? Not quite.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ah, ok MY misunderstanding. Mark the date, it's the only time that's happened ;) sorry.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

And, when I say "no air" and "no environment" that's funny and deserves a quote and LOL.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

zinc oxide here I come...

Quick Reply: Rust found on some Scion xB doors