Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Sunroof for xB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 AM

Default Sunroof for xB?

anyone have a sunroof for their xB? i heard xB's dont come with a sunroof. is that true? im looking for an xB and wondering if that holds true? thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

It is true. Not offered from the factory. There are some aftermarket ones out there...
Old 02-08-2007, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

My friend mom got a sunroof in hers. The dealer installed it or rather arranged it. It was included in her price.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yes some dealers (not very many) offer them, and some warranty them, but they were not installed in the factory.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I believe they did cover it under warranty, but the price they charged, YIKES! I know the company they used, and they are very good, but they aint that pricey. Someone made some jack on the deal...wonder who
Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just got my Xb monday and the one they had in the showroom had a sunroof that ressembled the one from the tc. It had a $1700 price tag though.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default nice sunroof for xB

The Webasto unit is pretty nice:
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/18Scion_xB_322L_04.html

I had my Webasto Hollandia 700 put in by a local installer before I even took delivery of my 05 toaster. About $1200 installed and worth every penny. It vents in 4-5 different levels, it slides back INTO the roof, it has 2 owner-presets, it has a built-in sunshade, the glass is thermal-tinted, and it is B-I-G. Bigger and wider than the factory one in our 02 VW Passat.

Couldn't be happier with it. I even like to slide it all the way open during snowstorms, crank up the heat a little, and just roll on down the highway.
Very cool.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just had the Webasto panoramic roof put in my RS3, about 1600 installed w/3yr warranty. They have quit making the the power folding rag, its still on there website but they told me no more to be had.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM

for the people who have an aftermarket sunroof, does it ever leak? how well does it seal?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Sunroof for xB?

Originally Posted by yang85
anyone have a sunroof for their xB? i heard xB's dont come with a sunroof. is that true? im looking for an xB and wondering if that holds true? thanks
Sunroofs are aftermarket. The Hollandia series by Webasto are most commonly installed in xBs, but Inalfa also makes one. It depends on what your local installer uses. I got this Webasto for $1250:
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...%20and%20Dash/
Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yang85
for the people who have an aftermarket sunroof, does it ever leak? how well does it seal?
By design, they can't seal perfectly and so they leak a little bit of water past the seal. Also by design, the opening is surrounded by a gutter leading to a drain hose at each corner. The drain hoses are led down the A and B pillars where they discharge into the rocker panels, I think. You can see where the gutter is here:

It is possible for a leak to occur into the car if the rear drain hoses are taken back to the air vent under the rear side window. This is the easiest place to take them. Unfortunately, this results in short sections of horizontal tubing in the ceiling, which tend to sag slightly. If the car is parked just right, water is retained in these sags, and prevents free drainage of the gutters. So the headliner gets wet. I only heard of this happening to one person, and his shop had to reroute the rear hoses to the B-pillar. My rear hoses go down the B-pillar and so leaks have not happened to me.

Two caveats on sunroofs. The indestructible bonded headliner is replaced by a stretched, floating fabric headliner which flutters at speed and can be punctured or ripped. And for speeds over 45, to have quiet air in the car and stop the fluttering, a bubble deflector must be installed. With a bubble deflector, you can go as fast as you want, and do it in cold or rain.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought scion offered the double on the early scions but they were just like skylights they didnt move or anything. and the webasto is filthy man ive seen it and i tried to get it installed but not enough cash money sonny
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my sunroof through the dealer when I got mine. It was shipped to some company and installed there and shipped back. It was covered under my warranty as well. It's the Inalfa sunroof. I have never seen the Hollandia in person, but from looking at the pictures posted above, get the Inalfa. It looks better imo and it closes automatically when you turn the engine off. No leaks experienced yet and I've had it for 2 yrs.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatnblazinrida
.. get the Inalfa. It looks better imo and it closes automatically when you turn the engine off. No leaks experienced yet and I've had it for 2 yrs.
The Webasto sunroof also closes automatically, either when you turn off the ignition or if it feels a rain drop when you are not around. And none of the sunroofs can leak into the car if the drain tubes are connected, slope down and are not plugged.
Which sunroof you get probably depends on what installer you or the Scion dealership uses. The installer firms are dealers for one particular brand of sunroof.
In my city, the Scion dealer in the South end uses a nearby firm called Custom FX that installs cruise controls and Inalfa sunroofs, and I had to go there for my cruise control.
But the other two Scion dealers in the North end use their closest firm which is Auto Sunroof. I went to Auto Sunroof to have my sunroof and leather seats installed, which is how I got a Webasto.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 AM

Default i had one of the webastos

i had a webasto hollandia 700 on my xB, and i guess the drains were in the wrong spot, cause sometimes i took a shower inside the car. but other than the 2 times it leaked, it was the best sunroof ive seen in alot of cars. its huge, closes, and has spots you can set to open to with the buttons. overall, it was a great roof until i flipped my car rear end straight up and over the front, and landed on my roof. then the sunroof wasnt as nice, as it was in about 1000 little pieces.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has not had a leak in 3 years. Either you had a plugged drain that caused too much water to accumulate in its corner of the gutter, or a drain hose became uplugged from the gutter.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

idk what was up, but it doesnt matter now. ill have a new one in with my new roof. ill post more when it gets back from the collision shop
Old 03-13-2009, 03:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, why can't I find that Webasto 640 one? I liked yours vintage but it's not even listed on their site...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sabiansdrum
Hey, why can't I find that Webasto 640 one? I liked yours vintage but it's not even listed on their site...
The website is not intended to be complete, and says "Please check with your local Webasto Authorized Installer for proper and available applications." I did find this:
Hollandia 700 and 600 Series Power Inbuilt Sunroof
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/6_700info.html
I think the difference is in the controls. The 600 series has a simple push button to open and close. The 700 series has a 5-button soft touch control panel with many fancy features. To name two, automatic closing and rain sensing closing.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahh yeah I see that now ha, thanks man. but oooo, 700 series sounds wonderful...
I'm going to look into that one. Might be $$ but i always say you have to live with what you bought, long after for forget how much you paid for it.

Quick Reply: Sunroof for xB?