Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2006 Scion xB Rear Wiper blade

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 PM

Default 2006 Scion xB Rear Wiper blade

Howdy!
I've seen a few posts on here regarding the rear wiper on the first gen xBs. I'm trying to find just that metal frame that goes through the rubber blade that you run through the fingers on the rear arm that attached the blade to the arm. I just need to know what years/makes/models use that style/size wiper arm/blade so I can cross reference at some local salvage yards. Otherwise I saw the whole set on Amazon, but it might not arrive until after Christmas.

Direct Fit 2004 2005 2006 TOYOTA Scion XB Rear Window Wiper Arm with Blade Kit

I didn't want to wait that long.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just got off the phone with my local Scion dealership asking about the wiper blade.

The rubber/metal piece is referred to as a "wiper blade insert". The parts department guy told me that the blade insert is not available at his particular dealership because they don't stock the piece. They don't stock the piece because they have to order a minimum of 10 units from the manufacturer. A unit is 10 pieces for a total of 100 pieces. He said they don't sell them very often, so they quit ordering them.

He told me the best bet would be to call around to different Toyota/Scion dealerships to locate one and pay for the item and pay to have it shipped.

He also said that the complete wiper/blade/arm assembly is available at retail auto parts stores, and that is the only way to get it unless a dealership has one they will ship.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yay!!!!......check out the thread I started the other day in regards to the rear wiper>>>>>> https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...9/#post4178740
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i remember seeing on the forum, there is no easy replacement of the blade..there are modifications to be done...Believe me, I would have installed a new blade by now... instead, this past September I told my mechanic while he was doing other things on the car to install just the insert...charged me $10 for part and install...

It was my first time to replace the insert since getting the car Feb 2005, of course during all these years, it was bad as it would smear, but not THAT bad when it rained hard, then it did its purpose.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by hawaiiguy
from what I remember seeing on the forum, there is no easy replacement of the blade..there are modifications to be done...Believe me, I would have installed a new blade by now... instead, this past September I told my mechanic while he was doing other things on the car to install just the insert...charged me $10 for part and install...It was my first time to replace the insert since getting the car Feb 2005, of course during all these years, it was bad as it would smear, but not THAT bad when it rained hard, then it did its purpose.
A lot of n00bs are just beginning to experience what we original owners known about the Rear Wiper problem for the last 10, 11 years.

They are starting New Threads on a old, old problem.

If they knew How to do SEARCH, this is a small sample of the headaches:

From 2008: Scion xB rear wiper
Darkcrush: "blade is held into place by a plastic arm that has two nubs which hold it onto the wiper arm.
That small plastic piece is broken, was told I have to purchase the entire arm assembly which is at a retail price of $60 plus dollars"

From 2010: rear wiper blade stolen...replacement?
eE: "unfortunately you have to transfer two little metal strips from the existing to the new blade"

From 2012: DIY: Gen1 xB Rear Wiper Arm Conversion to Standard Blades
sammydad1:"Wait til your wiper arm cracks off a couple of the insert support tangs. $75 +/- for a new arm from scion"

From 2013:
Another rear wiper refill question
sgf: "I ordered online some refills before but learned too late that they did not include the metal or plastic rib"

IMHO, the Rear Wiper is a PITA and totally unnecessary. Instead of playing with it, you are a lot better off just DELETING it.

I took mine off my 2006 xB TCM 10 years ago. I threw a perfectly New Wiper, Wiper Arm Assembly and Motor Assembly in the trash.
Drove 9 years without one through rain, sleet, slush, & snow. didn't miss it at all...lol...

Even wrote a Tech Article here on SL in 2008 on How to Remove it:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...4-06-a-128123/

MR LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-01-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default $2 refill from Rock Auto

Anco N-12R
Old 11-28-2019, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I just ordered a couple of N12R's but wasn't sure if they would fit.
Last time I used an ANCO 1912, but they don't make those anymore... so buy 2 & put one in the freezer
I like the delete and rear view camera option
Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Thanks, I just ordered a couple of N12R's but wasn't sure if they would fit.
Last time I used an ANCO 1912, but they don't make those anymore... so buy 2 & put one in the freezer
I like the delete and rear view camera option
Just replaced mine today with a N12R. There are blade end lock caps in the package that are easy to miss. It slides on pretty tight, you you should lock both ends anyway.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I couldn't slide those N12R's into the little plastic nubs and I didn't want to break the frame by forcing them on.
I might try filing the grooves a bit wider, or failing that go with the delete method

Had an idea, just filed down the width at the one end of the hard plastic cover and got it to slide in... so it is probably too stiff to follow the curve of the glass, but at least it won't scratch it up now.

Last edited by RichBinAZ; 12-04-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Brainstorm
Old 12-04-2019, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's tight, but just a bit of press and wiggling they slide on. The plastic on the blade channels will bend well before the tab on the blade holder unless it's already cracked.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Changing a blade should be easy, but the lack of parts that fit just don't help
Here's how I got the Anco N12R to fit
Old 12-05-2019, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
Changing a blade should be easy, but the lack of parts that fit just don't help
Here's how I got the Anco N12R to fit
https://youtu.be/yobz-qlO7Fk
filing a bit of the end of the channels to widen them, as shown in the video, makes it much easier to thread it through the tabs.Great video that captures the key points.

Alternative, what I did, was use a little liquid soap which provides a level of lube to initiate the sliding on and also making it easier to slide the replacement blade through.