First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Best mpg xB

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Best mpg xB

Okay, guys and gals. Here's what you have to beat.

46.9 mpg avg over 19,000 miles in my RS 3.0 xB

44.7 mpg avg over a 7238 mile cross-country trip from the Bay Area CA to Miami FL and back

51.5 mpg avg over 1213 miles from Gallup NM back to the Bay Area

59 mpg avg over 165 miles from Gallup to Tuba City AZ

75 mpg avg over 40 miles from Truckee CA to Reno NV

80 mpg avg over 30 miles from Truckee CA to Verdi NV

91.5 mpg avg for 9.8 miles in competitive hypermiling style driving in an industrial park on a weekend

Longest tank 621.6 miles using 10.563 gal = 58.85 mpg (210% of '08 EPA combined [28 mpg] estimated mpg)

I'll buy dinner for anyone coming within 90% of my mileages, over similar distances, if you're ever in the Bay Area, just to talk to you and compare techniques

Any takers? Any other contenders for the best mpg crown?

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 04-11-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Updated accomplishments
Old 09-26-2009, 02:33 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i go down hill with a tail wind gusts up to 50mph both ways
Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's really good. I think there is someone on Ecomodder that got around 51mpg for a tank. I couldn't get above 47 though. Do you have any eco mods lol
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I noticed a BIG difference when I went from sea level to 7000 feet elevation. I normally average 25mpg at sea level then when I went to the mountains in yellowstone my mpg went to 36.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have one question for you... are you doing the hypermiling stuff like shutting your car off in traffic or going downhill?
Old 09-27-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like turning my car off as I'm rolling down the driveway or to the gas pump. Long distances is very unsafe.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been able to fill up my car once a month or every month and half
Old 09-27-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Holy *****!
I'm lucky to get 350 miles on a tank!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No eco-mods other than inflating my tires to 4 psi over max sidewall pressure. Adjusting the behavior of the nut behind the wheel is my best mileage tool.

I get most of my mileage gains (about 80-90%) by slowing down. I took country roads through small towns driving cross-country, avoiding interstates as much as possible. Average cruising speed 46 mph, while stopping to see the sights like the bat flight out of Carlsbad Caverns, the world's largest rotating globe in Yarmouth ME, and the world's second longest-running drive-in theater in Saco ME.

I turn my engine off at red lights, like the hybrids. xBs aren't going to beat many other cars in stoplight drag races, so I let the jackrabbits trip the light sensors for me, and glide through the lights after them.

Following graph shows top gear cruise-controlled travel speeds v. mileage for my family cars, except for the leftmost high mileage blips and dips. The leftmost blips are P&G low speed mileage, and the following dips are next-to-top-gear cruise-controlled mileage. The Elantra is my wife's AT-equipped car. ATs suck for hypermiling. I can and do beat steady speed cruise control mileage about 5 mpg with high speed P&G.

Name:  familycarcomparisonrevised.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  21.2 KB

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 09-28-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see i don't consider it real gas mileage numbers anymore once you start shutting your car off at stoplights and while going down hills and drafting semis or any other of those extreme hypermiling "techniques".

so of course nobody is going to beat your numbers. nobody that just drives their car economically without getting nuts about it is going to want to play that game. like me, i can get in the upper 30mpg range and that is being easy on the gas and not going over 65mph. I'm not going to take all back highways to work making it twice as long everyday just so I can drive 40mph or inflate the hell outta my tires. i mean if this is what you're into, more power to you, but you seem to expect there to be some kind of competition from the people that just drive their car normally... turn it on, drive to location, turn it off.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't draft semis, and where did I say I turn my engine off going down hills? My normal high speed P&G is engine-on. If you look at the speed/economy graph, our boxy xBs hit a brick wall over 55 mph, and the big trucks usually go much faster, so I don't follow them.

There's absolutely no reason to keep your engine running at a red light. All hybrids shut their engines down when they stop, and so do I, if I'm going to be stopped 7 seconds or longer. When the cross light turns orange, or the left turn pocket starts moving, I restart my engine. I'm not in the habit of handing money to Hugo Chavez and the OPEC folks for no good reason.

Of course, most of you have lives, and jobs to rush to, so you're never going to approach my fuel economy. I'm retired and enjoy poking around looking at old cars and interesting sights. But if you want to slow down and smell the flowers, you can get great mileage doing it.

Four psi over sidewall is not inflating the hell out of your tires, or whatever you claimed. Ask your local PD what inflation they use on their tires, and educate yourself.

''There is, of course, an obvious drawback to driving slower: it takes more time to get somewhere. If you do the math, you discover that slowing down from 75mph to 65mph means it will take you an additional 7 seconds to go a mile. (Slowing down to 55 will cost another 10 seconds)

What all this means is, over a 10 mile commute, you will waste 25% more gas (which also means you spend 25% more money), and increase your risk of death by 160%, all to save 2 minutes."

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 09-28-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Well... Ive come close on your tank. my best was 48.1. Running light weight 15s, a belly pan (which is now in pieces in my back yard, long story), converted cold air intake to WAI, shutting the car off rolling down hills on the freeway (my exit is down hill, so the light afterwords is no big deal) and rolling down hill to work. Im not running Power Steering, I have a light weight crank pulley, and I rarely use the ac (even though its rarely shown that affects my mileage)

Im gonna fill her up tomorrow, and run a little check, so we will see...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all im trying to say is, your gas mileage numbers are not real world. how many people are going to shut their car off at every stoplight longer than 7 seconds? (most all stoplights).

i would like to see your mileage numbers from starting your car, driving to location, shutting it off. during the drive you can use any technique you want that doesn't include shutting your car off. you also have to drive the speed limit and drive on the freeway. THAT would be a realistic mileage number.

how about i design a cable launching mechanism that will throw a cable and hook out from my front and attach to the vehicle in front of me, having them secretly tow me along while i shut my car off. ill get the most gas mileage out of everyone.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Ok, after 3 posts, I think that my dog gets that you dont like most of the hypermiling techniques... we all get it, would you like a cookie for rewording the same post twice? I can make that happen, PM me your address! so whats if you dont do it, I see it like a personal challange to beat myself (and now Darrell, must beat him). Let it go... so what if they arent real world... My car still travels further on a tank of gas than yours, and that is less money that Im giving to OPEC
Old 09-28-2009, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove my xB 7238 miles cross-country this Summer, including a 70 mile run at 70 mph. I drove the whole length of Florida (down and back) with my wife and two 11 yr olds, and the AC running. I drove through 11 states for 35 days, traveled a lot more Interstate highways than I wanted to, and still averaged 44.7 mpg for the total drive. If that isn't real world, what is it?

My 9260 miles logged on my xB is every mile of ownership, including 1 mile drives to the grocery store, post office, shopping at Wally-Mart, you name it. It's all real-world.

Last edited by SentraSE-R; 09-28-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

44.7 rocks BTW.. I can't ever get there..35.7 is my best
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the best i got was 40 mpg at 65 mph on the highway

i still get around 33-35mpg for city driving
Old 09-29-2009, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

My car see's almost all highway
Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by jct
the best i got was 40 mpg at 65 mph on the highway

i still get around 33-35mpg for city driving

You have aerodynamics on your side, dont start your bull crap here
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
You have aerodynamics on your side, dont start your bull crap here

if any one wants to do this (drag coefficient)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Meas...t-of-your-car/

Quick Reply: Best mpg xB