Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY Throwout Bearing?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 PM

Default DIY Throwout Bearing?!

Hello Scion family! Hope everyone had an epic New Years! Mine is starting a bit rough. I have an 06 xB, and there is this chattering/clicky sound coming from the passenger side engine bay. My Box is at 111,XXX miles (clutch was replaced new by dealer at 94,XXX.)
I've tried narrowing down the prob by replacing all the small stuff like belts (and tightening it), checking alternator (it's working properly), new water pump as well. The sound I speak of is most annoying when I start it (especially in the cold.) And it does this sound as I'm changing gears.
Only time it stops is when its on idle, and when I press the clutch in. After talking to a few Scion enthusiasts, I was told it may very be the throw out bearing (so I already went out and bought one.) I will more than likely be doing this along with the help of a friend.
Was hoping if I could be pointed in the right direction as far as finding a DIY Throw out bearing article (pics would be sweet!)

Thank you all that help in advance!

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-20-2019 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default try this to narrow it down

Ok here is some trouble shooting help.. drive the car up to 30 to 40 Mph... Take it out of gear and into neutral and coast without the clutch depressed allowing the rpms to drop. If the clicking continues its not your engine or trans.. it will most likely a wheel bearing or CV joint.. Try this first and see if it narrows your search..

Good luck..
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by CombatmedicR56
Ok here is some trouble shooting help.. drive the car up to 30 to 40 Mph... Take it out of gear and into neutral and coast without the clutch depressed allowing the rpms to drop. If the clicking continues its not your engine or trans.. it will most likely a wheel bearing or CV joint.. Try this first and see if it narrows your search..

Good luck..
Thanks for the helpful tip combat! I did what you said, and once i was coasting there wasnt a sound. Once i put it in gear and reached above 25+ rpms the ticking comes back while im gearing. Thanks once again!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 PM
SL Member

I may have not fully understood the problem, but does the sound go away when clutch is depressed? And sorta come on when the clutch is let out?