Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Engine rattles at start up.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default Engine rattles at start up.

I have been experiencing a rattle at start up. My mechanic has been trying to pin point the rattle. No matter what he has changed, it's still there. His shop has changed the timing chain tensioner ,that's what he calls it. The oil sending unit. Has opened the value cover and checked the lifters. We thought he had it when he changed the oil sending unit but still at start up....rattle.

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the rattle louder when the A/C is turned on?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member

Default Rattles at start up.

To: BlingSlade

No only at cold start up, first I thought it was the starter lagging and not recoiling back away from the fly wheel in time. So replaced the battery and the starter, but no still rattles. Replaced the timing chain tensioner thinking the timing chain was lagging, but no. Next changed the oil sending unit thinking the signal was not getting to the oil pump fast enough to start it but NO. This is costing me. The mechanic can not pin point it.

HELP!!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It might be the honeycomb is breaking up inside your cat converter. If so, you'll need to replace it.

Have your mechanic check your cat and have him check to see if your heat shield is loose.

If it's not these two things then your connecting rods are worn. Try starting your engine when its cold and when you hear the rattle rev the engine right away to see if the noise goes away. If noise goes away then stop your engine and restart it right away. If the noise is gone then its almost certainly worn big ends on your connecting rods.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member

To: BlingSlade,

No it wasn't the cat converter. Mechanic said it would rattle all the time. I left the car with them overnight and had them listen to it at cold start first thing in the morning. They have narrowed it down to the cam, so hopefully this is the end of the problem.

I'll let you know if it was the problem, thanks for your help. I hate to give up the car, because it was the last thing my mother bought for her grandson(my son) before she passed away. Plus it's a great car when it's running great. Very nibble and quick and especially roomy.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reply to: XBoxowner

Great, it sounds like you and your mechanic are on the right track. It's hard for me to part with my 06 xBox as there simply isn't anything out there to replace it..I've even grown accustomed to the A/C clutch rattle I've had in my car for over 6 years lol.

Best of luck, I hope you find the fix soon esp. since the car means so much to you and your family.

Last edited by BlingSlade; 09-28-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rattles at start up/ Found the problem!!!

TO: BlingSlade,

It was the cam gear itself. The mechanic kept the car overnight so he and his crew could listen to the rattle at first start up. They found out that the Cam gear for the timing chain was rattling(a lack of oil in it) Now my problem was that they had removed the valve cover so much while troubleshoot this problem that the screws that hold down the spark plug wires were loose, the screw holes were stripped so I had to go and get longer metric screws and a metric tap to re-tap the screw hole, now the car is running smooth. But now the VSC/TRAC-off lights will not go off. UGH!
Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB problems

Great, I'm glad they unraveled your rattle.

Have you tried one of these two fixes for your VSC and TRAC OFF light?
1. Hold down the ODO button on your gauges. with the car off, and then while holding down that ****, turn the ignition on to ACC. and it should reset the cluster. there will be 5 little bars flashing where the mileage is, it should turn off those lights. I hope this helps, its helped me in the past.

Good luck! BlingS