Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Extended Warranty of Rear Hatch Handle Garnish..

Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Extended Warranty of Rear Hatch Handle Garnish..

Did you all get this letter recently?
I just had to pay $200 to get my Rear Hatch Handle replaced (as many here have had to do)

I just got a letter from Scion saying all I have do do is send my receipt and proof of ownership and I should get a full refund from them.

Sweet.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-17-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know its pretty cool. This is the only repair I've needed on this car since I bought it almost 9 years ago. And they are going to pay for it.

That's good customer service.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Scion did recently announce the warranty enhancement for the back door garnish on 04-06 xB and 05 - certain 10 tC. If anybody has previously paid to have the back door garnish repaired please send the invoice, proof it was paid, and a copy of title or registration to HQ at the following:

Scion Customer Experience
19001 S. Western Ave. Dept WC10
Torrance, CA 90509

You can also fax the info to 310-381-7756. Also, if the back door garnish were to break again it would be covered under a 1 year warranty from the date of the announcement which is 3/13/13. The program also extends warranty to 7 years from the Date of First Use for the cases of the newer model years. Just thought I would throw the info out for any customers who may not be aware. ^AP

Last edited by Alejandro@Scion; 06-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Albert@Scion
Scion did recently announce the warranty enhancement for the back door garnish on 04-06 xB and 05 - certain 10 tC. If anybody has previously paid to have the back door garnish repaired please send the invoice, proof it was paid, and a copy of title or registration to HQ at the following:

Torrance, CA 90509

You can also fax the info to 310-381-5853. Also, if the back door garnish were to break again it would be covered under a 1 year warranty from the date of the announcement which is 3/13/13. The program also extends warranty to 7 years from the Date of First Use for the cases of the newer model years. Just thought I would throw the info out for any customers who may not be aware. ^AP
I just stopped at my local dealer to see about getting my hatch handle fixed. They seemed unaware and claimed the recently announced fix was only good for 7 years from the date of first use of the vehicle. Mine is an 04. Do you know if I'm supposed to be able to get this fixed for free or not.

If I am covered how do I make it happen?

Thanks for any additional information!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zardor
I just stopped at my local dealer to see about getting my hatch handle fixed. They seemed unaware and claimed the recently announced fix was only good for 7 years from the date of first use of the vehicle. Mine is an 04. Do you know if I'm supposed to be able to get this fixed for free or not.

Just FYI for anyone else. I ended up calling Scion in California (1-866-707-2466) and they were very helpful. They actually called my dealer while I was on hold with them. The dealer then called me and scheduled an appointment to do the repair.

All's well that ends well... though it's not over yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

zardor, happy to hear it was clarified for you. There has been some confusion with the dealer's advising 7 years warranty only but it is also 1 year from the announcement (3/13/13). For anybody else out there with this concern we always recommend asking the dealer to double check their info on this program. For the most part they see 7 years from the date of first use and do not continue to read where it mentions OR 1 year from the announcement. ^AP
Old 05-15-2013, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I got my letter on Saturday. But after 8 years and 215,000 miles and daily use my hatch handle is still working very good.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read about this problem several months before the letter arrived and my rear hatch was fine but now the left side is getting a little loose so I think I will be paying a visit to Tarbox soon to have mine replaced. I may pop the door cover off and take a little look inside to see if it can be just tightened. I also need to replace the screws holding the plate lights in because they are rotting away again even after painting them with corrosion inhibitor.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can also get reimbursed for purchasing the Dare 2B Different Motorwerks improved hatch garnish.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Mine just broke off in my hand. Time to see if Putnam Scion is going to fix this for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by zardor

Yup, the stealership did the same with me, Called SCION immediately, the gentleman at Scion called the stealership and got my parts ordered. Getting it fixed in couple of days.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my check recently from Toyota, but it was like pulling teeth to get reimbursed.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Alejandro@Scion

Torrance, CA 90509

You can also fax the info to 310-381-7756. Also, if the back door garnish were to break again it would be covered under a 1 year warranty from the date of the announcement which is 3/13/13. The program also extends warranty to 7 years from the Date of First Use for the cases of the newer model years. Just thought I would throw the info out for any customers who may not be aware. ^AP
I just broke hatch handle on my scion tc.can somebody tell me if take it to scion dealer to get it fix for free..its 05
Old 05-14-2014, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My local dealer in Lewisville, TX would never do it.. even after multiple attempts.

I ended up using some spray foam insulation and its not budged a bit.. do it yourself.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-17-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 PM

Default Back door garnish extended warranty

I got my extended warranty in the mail (3 months ago) I bought my Scion tC 07 used about two years ago, it recently just came off when i was opening the trunk and
I went yesterday to get it fixed at the Toyota dealership here in San Diego where I bought it and they told me I was one day over the warranty and I would have to pay instead of getting it fixed.
Feel like I got screwed.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-17-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM

I replaced my hatch garnish recently. Then I got the letter. From the way I read it. They will replace within a yr of my annoncement letter. I have not sent it in yet. I haven't even put it on. The motor was just rebuilt. I haven't even driven. Was looking around for getting that paid for