Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Got the run-around from Burt Scion of Denver, CO.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member

Default Got the run-around from Burt Scion of Denver, CO.

Sorry if this is long and a bit of a rant…

In late June I went into Burt Scion of Denver, CO and asked to place an order for an xB from a salesperson that let me take a test drive a month earlier. I wanted a TCM xB 5-speed and possibly a few accessories. He looked up what was available and said there was TCM 5-speed with floor mats ($120) on its way over and it could be mine if I wanted it. I said I would take it but without the floor mats. He told me it was part of the package and that all xBs came that way. I caved (I shouldn't have) and went ahead and ordered. He told me the vehicle would be delivered in about 10-14 days for a delivery time of mid July.

I then asked him to check on the price and install costs of a few accessories (steering wheel, cargo cover and rear bumper appliqué) as well as what the rates for Scion financing was. He said he would check into it and call me with the details.

Four or five days go by and I’ve heard nothing. I call him up and ask if everything is still on schedule and he says that everything is good. I asked him if he had any information about my accessories and he said he didn’t but that he would get back to me.

Four more days go by and I’ve heard nothing. I call him up and he says that a TCM has come in but he wasn’t sure it was mine and that he’d call me back and let me know. He didn’t call. So I dropped by the following Monday to get an update. Turns out the vehicle they got in wasn’t mine (automatic) and that mine is still on schedule for delivery. I then ask again about accessories and install pricing as well as the info on the financing. He manages to dig up an accessory price sheet and makes me a copy but says he’ll need to check on the install and that he would get back to me. Once again he never calls back.

A week goes by and I give him a call. He finally gives me pricing on the installs but didn’t have any information on the financing. At this point I’m so frustrated I tell him to forget both the accessories and the financing. I figured it would be easier to deal with it on my own.

The following Friday I call him to find out where my xB is. He tells me he doesn’t know and that there’s been some sort of delay. I told him to go check the computer to see what’s going on because apparently he hadn’t thought to do that. Turns out my delivery date is supposed to be the sometime during the week of the 19th.

July 21st and still no vehicle. He’s tells me maybe next week. Right…

So I finally, 33 some odd days from when I ordered it, I get the call that my xB is in. Yeehaa! I tell the sales person that I'll be down mid-afternoon to look it over. He then tells me that he's got some bad news; that they drilled the front bumper for the license plate. I’m not amused by this news. He gives me some story about the prep guys screwing up or something. I tell him that he should come up with a very good reason why I shouldn’t refuse the vehicle because it’s not what I ordered. Yes, I’m playing a little hardball here. I figure if they’re going to screw up they should at least provide some sort of compensation for it.

So I go and in and he tries to rush me over to look at the vehicle. I tell him no, that we’re going to work out the bumper issue first. So at first the salesperson claims the prep guys were working at night and went ahead and started prepping the vehicle without checking with anyone. I ask if the dealer had any sort of system in place where the prep guys are supposed to check before doing any work on a new vehicle. He said "not really", which I find a bit odd. He then tried to blame the problem on me claiming that I asked that the bumper not be drilled after I had ordered the vehicle and that was why it was missed by the prep guys. I quickly pulled out my copy of the sales order and showed him where he had written "Do not drill front bumper license plate." He didn't have much of an answer for that.

The whole time the salesperson acted like it was no big deal and said he couldn't understand why I had a problem with it. I asked what the he planned to do for making up for the mistake. He didn’t have an answer and asked what I wanted done. I told him that they should replace the front bumper. He didn’t have an answer for that either. This went on for a few minutes more when I finally asked to see the sales manager.

The sales manager had nothing but a bad attitude from the start. He kept interrupting me and would basically ignored everything I tried to say. First he claimed that legally they had to drill the front bumper because the state requires front license plates. He kept indicating that it was a state legal thing. When I told him I knew that he was incorrect and that how I drive the vehicle (legal or not) was not his concern and there was no state law requiring dealers to install front license plates mounts. I then pointed out if it’s a "state law" then why did his sales person say they could do it without any problems. He completely ignored the question going back to the legality of it all.

Then he started talking about how the problem occurred because the prep guys weren’t paying attention and that there was nothing he could do. The bumper had been drilled and that was that. I asked that he replace the bumper and he refused saying that it would cost him too much.

He then offered to order me a new vehicle. I asked him what difference that would make since if "legally" he had to drill the front bumper. He ignored the question and said my choices were to accept the vehicle, order a new one or he could refund my money. I had had enough. I asked that my deposit be returned.

Within an hour of leaving Burt Scion I was at another dealership talking to the Scion sales manager and asked him his take on the situation. He said he had no problem with not drilling the front bumper and that they had gotten the request before. He specifically stated that there was nothing from a legal standpoint that would prevent him from not drilling. This is, of course, the complete opposite of what the Burt Scion was claiming. After talking with him for a bit I placed an order and my xB should be here in about a month or so.

All in all, if Burt Scion had been up front, not kept changing their story and had not been so rude about it I would have probably bought the vehicle. It just completely ticked me off that I got such a run-around from them and that their attitude was so bad. And you wonder why dealers get such a bad reputation.

Denver has plenty of dealers and I would suggest not doing business with Burt Scion.

Once again, I apologize for the rant.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And car dealers wonder why they're hated by so many people.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Based on your chain of events, and how unresponsive the dealer was, I guess I'd be upset too if the car finally comes in and they drilled the bumper to mount the license plate, even though it clearly said on the sales order not to. But, in all honesty, to refuse the car because of two holes in the bumper sounds like a bit of an over-reaction to me. I probably would've done the same thing if I was the sales manager. No way I'd offer to replace the bumper for two small license plate holes. Take it or leave it would've been my offer, there's always someone else who'll buy it. I was lucky I suppose, because my 2005 PW xB only had 1 mile on it, and the dealer didn't get around to drilling the front bumper. I don't have my plates yet, but I'm sure I'll get pulled over at some time by California's finest about not having a front plate.

But, sounds like you're a patient guy, and in a month or so hopefully you will have your xB w/o the holes in the bumper.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you must also understand that thier is a thing called SUPPLY AND DEMAND....
Old 07-31-2004, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member

i don't think it was extreme at all to refuse the car because they drilled for a plate up front. the dealer didn't stick to their part of the deal. period. then they tried to lie about it to cover it up. sleezeballs. i am asking for the same thing for my tc - no drilling!!

and to think...i have an order on a tc through burt...doh! that's alright...i have been in contact with a fellow at stevinson scion - i think i will now be going through them i haven't felt like scion has been totally hones with me either....grrr...

thanks for the post...and the advice...just curious, who was your sales person (pm me if you like)

adam