Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB door lock motor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:06 AM

Default xB door lock motor malfunction

My 2005 Scion xB apparently needs a driver's door lock motor. Out of warranty so need some direction in locating a parts supplier online. Anyone have a suggestion as to a source? Can email me at rphatton@aol.com. Thanks.
Ron
Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Perhaps it is not the motor. Could also be the switch. Check into it first. Be a shame to purchase a motor, and that is not the problem. Just replaced a motor on a 99 Buick at a bit more than $250 for one, and that was me doing the installing.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not all window motors are that expensive. my 95 camaro window motor was 75 bucks.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

im having the same problem with my 05, do your lights still turn on when you lock and unlock the car?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:20 AM

The lights still flash and all the other locks work fine. Only the driver door lock actuator hangs up, it will work then quit, then try to operate but all you get is a clicking noise. I took the panel off and disconnected the wiring harness and cleaned the contacts with electric contact spray but no help. Looking at how it is set up to the door latch made me pass on trying to replace it. The dealer ordered the part for $102. and probably another $85 for labor. I am too old to be down on my knees working in a tight spot like that anymore. If you have the 36,000 mile or 3 year warranty they will take care of it. Unfortunately mine ran out.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm having the same issue.. so it appears.
Driver door, if you press the lock down manualy, you cannot unlock it electronicly.
Sometimes if you lock it via the switch, you cannot unlock manually.
Have to open the window and use the external latch to get it to 'catch' then it can be opened.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

i got my actuator from pick-a-part for $9 off of a corolla, and my door is working fine now,i didnt want to do it at first but it was acually pretty easy, my lights didnt flash when i unlocked it but now they work fine too :-)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 PM

Was the Corolla actuator the same as the Scion? That sure would be a less expensive fix if you could locate a working used part. Scions around this area are hard to find, especially wrecked ones.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Driver Auto Door Lock RIP

My 2004 xB driver side auto lock died at 37K. I now have 58K. I just tossed the fob in the glove box and use a key.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:59 PM

Just got back from the dealer. Total cost was $242+ More than I expected but labor was $125 plus lock which was $102, plus tax. I asked about Toyota warranty being extended but no help there from service dept. Thought I might write a letter to Toyota corporate headquarters and let them know a lot of us Scion xB owners are having lock failures. Never hurts to complain about bad quality. Next failure I go to the wrecking yard for the part and get a better deal on labor.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by rphatton
Was the Corolla actuator the same as the Scion? That sure would be a less expensive fix if you could locate a working used part. Scions around this area are hard to find, especially wrecked ones.
i dont know if all years but this corolla must have been like 2000 or newer, i didnt see any difference besides the color of the actuator, the original is like an off white and the one i got from the corolla is black, i was originally looking for an echo that i saw a few weeks ago, but it was gone, i think the echo also has the same actuator
Old 01-29-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Add me to the list of driver's door lock motor victims at 62K miles. Mine is definitely dead, Won't respond to 12V applied directly to the terminals. 12V does appear at the connector when the switch is pushed.

I'll bet the driver's door lock motor fails first because it gets hit with voltage even on the second push to unlock the passenger doors.

It would be nice to have someone with access to parts books look up which Corollas and Echos share the actuators. I'm not looking forward to another $$$ trip to the dealer.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What happen to this great Toyota perception?!

I'm out of warranty and the door locks seem sluggish, guess this is what I have to look forward to?

My Hummer H3, not a single issue.

So much for the Japanese companies...
Old 01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYCxB
What happen to this great Toyota perception?!

I'm out of warranty and the door locks seem sluggish, guess this is what I have to look forward to?

My Hummer H3, not a single issue.

So much for the Japanese companies...
I'm a bit miffed too. Two out-of-warranty issues (rear bearings and door lock) before 70K miles on an adult-driven and well-maintained vehicle. When my daughter gets the box for college I'll probably be down at the Kia dealer to buy a Soul. I doubt the reliability will be worse and they have a 100K mile warranty.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't get me wrong, I love my box, but being the first ever Toyota, gotta say the emphasis is on the Toy.

Have had mine since 11/2004 (2005 model) and am still under 25K miles.

Anything huge happen? No, but stuff like the hatch that starting rattling like crazy (fixed under warranty) or the handle on the hatch coming off (fixed under warranty), mysterious rattiling from the radio speakers, and I too am experiencing a sluggishness with the door locks via the scion security. And this car is extremely well maintained.

Never owned a Jaoanese car before and doubt will ever again, but this whole they build it better is nothing more than a myth.

So far the only thing I can tell is that the resale value is amazing for this car. But what do you want for $20K?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rphatton
The lights still flash and all the other locks work fine. Only the driver door lock actuator hangs up, it will work then quit, then try to operate but all you get is a clicking noise. I took the panel off and disconnected the wiring harness and cleaned the contacts with electric contact spray but no help. Looking at how it is set up to the door latch made me pass on trying to replace it. The dealer ordered the part for $102. and probably another $85 for labor. I am too old to be down on my knees working in a tight spot like that anymore. If you have the 36,000 mile or 3 year warranty they will take care of it. Unfortunately mine ran out.
Find a scionlifer in your area
Swap parts and have him bring it in for service

Voila
Old 02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never owned a Jaoanese car before and doubt will ever again, but this whole they build it better is nothing more than a myth.

So far the only thing I can tell is that the resale value is amazing for this car. But what do you want for $20K?
20k? wow thats what people paid for these when they were new? lol

I got mine used and it was an 05xB in october of 07 for 9800!!!!! from a stealership with only 30k on it

But like you said, the resale i could definitely recoup my money now due to the gas prices...

but 20k is **** rape status
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I rounded up, but with tax it came to roughly $18K which included rims and some add ons.

So calm down already...

Originally Posted by TypeX

20k? wow thats what people paid for these when they were new? lol

I got mine used and it was an 05xB in october of 07 for 9800!!!!! from a stealership with only 30k on it

But like you said, the resale i could definitely recoup my money now due to the gas prices...

but 20k is **** rape status
Old 02-04-2009, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, I rounded up, but with tax it came to roughly $18K which included rims and some add ons.

So calm down already...
still overpaid lol
Old 02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TypeX
Find a scionlifer in your area
Swap parts and have him bring it in for service

Voila
You consume more in time and hassle than you gain in parts.

Quick Reply: xB door lock motor malfunction