Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

How many miles/how long do you think an 04 xB will last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Cube: yes it is. I spoke to a rep at the NYIAS and he assured me it was.

Im keeping my box till she wont go anymore, then im gonna replace the drivetrain and run her down again,

I love Toyota's. My folks have a 1993 toyota previa, 333,042 miles and now it crapped out. It's been all up and down the eastern seaboard. I loves it.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How many miles/how long do you think an 04 xb will last?

Originally Posted by xdorkx
Currently, i've had my 04 xb since 04 (before most people got them), and it's got about 113k miles. It looks great with the exception of a few dings/scratches on the exterior. I'm trying to decide now weather to keep it, or trade it in for something else...

Rides a bit bumpy...butI don't mind the ride, but of course I'm the one driving...and some new $60.00 shocks can fix it a bit...

So, how much more and longer do you think I can get out of it, or is now a good time to trade in while I can still get a decent amount for the trade in (about 5500-6000 or so dealer trade in according to kbb.com)

Jeff
It is Toyota made, so it has a long lifespan for a car. I've treated my Corolla very well, it has gone over 160k miles with only synthetic oil changes, new iridium plugs, brakes/tires and belt and tensioner change. Runs like a champ still. I've heard of extreme abuse cases with Toyotas and they still keep running. You almost have to try and kill a Toyota, and even then they keep going. I know of a person who was tired of having the same Toyota for so long, but could not justify replacing it while it was still reliable, so he just gave up on all maintenance and waited for it to die. After a few years of abuse, he gave up and replaced it anyways.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 AM

Default Re: How many miles/how long do you think an 04 xb will last?

Originally Posted by dgenem
Originally Posted by xdorkx
Currently, i've had my 04 xb since 04 (before most people got them), and it's got about 113k miles. It looks great with the exception of a few dings/scratches on the exterior. I'm trying to decide now weather to keep it, or trade it in for something else...

Rides a bit bumpy...butI don't mind the ride, but of course I'm the one driving...and some new $60.00 shocks can fix it a bit...

So, how much more and longer do you think I can get out of it, or is now a good time to trade in while I can still get a decent amount for the trade in (about 5500-6000 or so dealer trade in according to kbb.com)

Jeff
It is Toyota made, so it has a long lifespan for a car. I've treated my Corolla very well, it has gone over 160k miles with only synthetic oil changes, new iridium plugs, brakes/tires and belt and tensioner change. Runs like a champ still. I've heard of extreme abuse cases with Toyotas and they still keep running. You almost have to try and kill a Toyota, and even then they keep going. I know of a person who was tired of having the same Toyota for so long, but could not justify replacing it while it was still reliable, so he just gave up on all maintenance and waited for it to die. After a few years of abuse, he gave up and replaced it anyways.
That is exactly my problem. I treat my current toyota tacoma like crap hoping it would die so I can justifyable get a new vehicle and it won't die. So, I am caving in and getting an xD anyway.

To the OPs original point... keep the car. It will last you... and no car payment vs car payment... which is better? One of these days (what my mom did) is get a new vehicle and still ahve an extremely old vehicle... and use that vehicle as main transport to get a lower insurance monthly. This way you have one paid off car, lower insurance monthly, and can buy a new car. All in the long run, look in the long run.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

If the windshield keep cracking on its own, I will consider unloading the box. I just got that classic J shaped crack after leaving out on a hot sunny day. Otherwise, it is a keeper fer sure.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm on my 2nd windshield now :-D
Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sinjin_dog
If the windshield keep cracking on its own, I will consider unloading the box. I just got that classic J shaped crack after leaving out on a hot sunny day. Otherwise, it is a keeper fer sure.
big deal, windshields crack, get over it.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I am on my 2nd winshield now to i live in cc tx and the roads sucks but i dont care anymore lol i am going to keep my box forever because i am never going to get rid of it lol.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

properly maintain, and go easy on your Scions... and they will easily go 300K+ miles w/ same engine/tranny.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I decided to keep mine for now, looks too good and i love it..just need to replace the rear shocks again :-D
Old 06-28-2008, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

theres somebody on here w/194k on it. If that's not promising, I don't know what is.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, 194k? And I thought I had the most miles (115k now), haha, cool, and good to know thx :-D
Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Cube is coming rather soon actually. Everyone who's driven it has one piece of advice... take it on a test drive that encompasses everything. Or as one guy put it, you get the sloppy, awkward handling of an old luxury car, with none of the luxury.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

if I half way like it i am in....
Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If they increase the power over 90hp like the japanese version, i'll have to check er out....
Old 06-30-2008, 09:32 PM

I own an 04' xB. I never had one repair to the car. All of the money I spent was on the aftermarket things that I put in. I just finished exhaust, headers and intake and picked up 5 more mpg's from boxand had it dyno'd at Collingdale Performance in Collingdale PA. He loves to do Scions.
I have 82,000 and plan on more upgrades. With these gas prices do I really need to change? Not me. I'll drive it till it dies.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

What was the dyno numbers Because i have headers full exchaust and cold air intake and i have not found a dyno around near where i live and i would like to know what it is around.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

My guess is that those three things might add about 15 hp.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
My guess is that those three things might add about 15 hp.
I think your being generous there Jeff
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Maybe a little but who knows till we have dyno results? I can hope? LOL
Old 03-04-2015, 05:06 PM

Default scion 05

My 05 scion just hit 150,000 and going strong! I drive 80 miles round trip for work 5 days a week. Dependable and it has turned me into a scion girl for life!

Quick Reply: How many miles/how long do you think an 04 xB will last?