Fail, INC
SL Member

It's normal.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ghost05
I noticed nobody mention anything about all the Scion Xb automatics. From 2004 to 2007 typically on cold days they will have a hard time shift into 3 or 4 gear without using the overdrive button. Once the engine warms up, it shouldnt be a problem.
I don't think the car is programmed to shift into the higher gears until the blue temperature light goes off. I think I even read that on here once. I always let mine warm up if it's the first time I've driven it all day. If I haven't drive it for a few hours, and the blue temperature light is on I notice the car will not shift into the higher gears or overdrive until the blue light goes off. I notice right when that light goes off it shifts right away as the light goes off.

I got my 04 with just under 80k miles last June. Got it $5500 which I thought was a steal. Still not seeing too many XB's with that mileage for that cheap yet. I haven't had any real issues yet. The belts squeak when in gear, but I've read on here it's a common problem. Sometimes I think I got a front end problem, but I'm pretty sure all XB's have that really rough not smooth ride. Once it wouldn't start. Turned over, but wouldn't fire. Finally fired after two minutes of turning the key, and it never did it again. My exhaust is starting to get noisy. This car has been in ocean towns most of it's life. The woman I bought it from who is the second owner had it four years, and lived beachfront. So it's got some rust under the hood, and the exhaust is having a weird noise. Still haven't been able to pinpoint it. Don't think it's the cat. It's more up front under the motor. Was freaking out at first, and thinking it was a valve tap, but it's definitely not. It's not even that loud. It's more annoying than loud. Definitely not gonna dump money into it until it becomes a problem. I've changed the oil on it a couple times, and thats about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

The auto's prevent shifting into 3rd until the engine warms up a bit (blue light goes off) it's to protect the engine. Just take it easy until that happens and you're good to go.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kathleenkb
I have the 2006 XB and while going 70MPH, the RPM's reach to 3000 which is very high! in othe words, the car after 4th gear is reached, it doesnt freewheel, gets poor gas mileage. the dealer told us it's OK but we think 3000 RPM is WAY High! any thoughts from anyone?
As the posts in your other thread have all said, that is the correct RPMS for an automatic box *in* overdrive at 70mph. It is even higher in a manual. Won't hurt the engina at all. Also, automatics don't "freewheel" you will feel resistance when you let off the gas. Remember also you are pushing a square box through the wind, there will be resistance there as well.

Going back to the original thread:
Bought my '04 manual in 2007 at 92K
Now has 157K. Only non-wear part[1] I've had to replace was the manifold to exhaust donut gasket. Still has the original clutch & battery.

[1]replaced front brakes, plugs, filters, belts & tires.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Improbcat
As the posts in your other thread have all said, that is the correct RPMS for an automatic box *in* overdrive at 70mph. It is even higher in a manual. Won't hurt the engina at all. Also, automatics don't "freewheel" you will feel resistance when you let off the gas. Remember also you are pushing a square box through the wind, there will be resistance there as well.

Going back to the original thread:
Bought my '04 manual in 2007 at 92K
Now has 157K. Only non-wear part[1] I've had to replace was the manifold to exhaust donut gasket. Still has the original clutch & battery.

[1]replaced front brakes, plugs, filters, belts & tires.
If you don't mind me asking what was happening to your exhaust donut gasket to make you replace it? I ask because I think I may have to replace that or something with my exhaust on mine. Mine kinda make sort of a rattling sound down there, and you can hear it like it's coming from below the passenger floor or even behind the glove compartment it's hard to pinpoint. It also makes a little roaring when accelerating. It's hard to explain. It's been doing it since I've had it, but it seems to be getting a little louder. The car spent at least 5 years of it's life in beach towns. I now live less than a mile from the ocean, and I bought it from a woman who lived in my building where I used to live, and that was right on the ocean! So I know exhaust issues aren't hard to find in those conditions.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

So I jsut got my '06 xb, it has 260,500 miles on it, what should I watch out for?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:26 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for what ever breaks, fix it
Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jct
for what ever breaks, fix it
Thanks for the response, I hadn't expected one, I was just being facetious. But that I shall do my best to do, not be facetious, but fix whatever may break. Whomever had the xb before me drove it well over 30k a year!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bought our '06 (manual) new. Immediately added a center armrest and Dana cruise control. Then added a KIWI MPG engine scan device that plugs into the OBDII. Not interested in other mods. No problems, but we don't drive much: only 32K miles now. Typically get 37 to 39 mpg. Congrats to nepa06toaster!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by FlyLow
Bought our '06 (manual) new. Immediately added a center armrest and Dana cruise control. Then added a KIWI MPG engine scan device that plugs into the OBDII. Not interested in other mods. No problems, but we don't drive much: only 32K miles now. Typically get 37 to 39 mpg. Congrats to nepa06toaster!
Thanks FlyLow! Love my box so far. Can't really get it over 30mpg, but it beats 20!