Old but I like the B

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 02:29 AM
DrG
5 Year Member

Default Old but I like the B

javascript:emoticon('')
Sad

OK. I am over 50. I was looking to trade in my 2001 Solara for the XB. I drove it the other day and I was disappointed. I drove a stock B with an automatic. I realize the automatic was going to be slower than the manual. But I was really disappointed in the power. I was also disappointed with the ride- it was OK on smooth roads but over rough roads it was quite bumpy.

So I have questions. If I add the 18 inch wheels, the front strut bar, and the cold air intake would that help the ride and the power? In the meantime, I put a deposit on the tC. I think it looks a little dated and I can switch to the XB if I want to. I really wanted to like the XB- I think it is so different- and cheap to run.

Any help would be appreciated.

DrG
Old 06-08-2004, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IF you want to improve the ride quality plenty of guys are saying going to lowering springs is actually making the ride smoother for them...it will help your handling and ride comfort...in terms of the intake you might see a slight difference in power output but nothing to throw your head back....you will probably see better gas mileage over power....so to help the ride quality with a 18inch rim i would recommend going as much rubber as you can like a 45 maybe 50 if it would fit which I doubt....just go a 45 series tire....but if you want a bigger rim but want a smooth ride...go with a 17 inch rim
Old 06-08-2004, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

Hey Young feller: I have a xB and a Solara. There is no way they will even compare in ride quality or power. I have 17's with 45 series tires and lowering springs on the xB. It's a fair ride but it will never compete or even come close to the Solara. My 99 tacoma and xB are pretty comparable though. The xB is a fun ride and I'm glad I bought it. It makes me feel like a kid again. I'm 44, I hope this helps you with your decision
Old 06-08-2004, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm 54 as of June and I love my xB. I've had it since June of last yr when they first caom out. I have the aem cai, hotchkis strut bar, rear spoiler and 17" chrome with 45 series tires. It's a fun car and I try to go to all the events. I've met alot of nice people and they are all helpful on info that I need to fix up my xB. So, go for it!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm no expert regarding this, but my understanding is that the strut bar helps tighten the ride up a little, and if you get larger rims you'll have to sacrifice some sidewall height to keep the tires from being too large and messing up your speedometer readings etc. Less sidewall typically gives a rougher ride, less rubber to cushion you from the road. The cold air intake will improve performance, but from what I've read it's not by much, just a small step within a series of steps you can take.

So my guess is you'll feel the ride is even rougher after such changes, and you're unlikely to notice much of a power boost. For many the wheels are changed mostly for looks and better cornering grip, but maybe your ride comfort can improve as well. If so, I'd like to know which 17" rims and tires can do that, as I'm looking as well! :D

The car is enjoyable though, once you seperate your expectations from one car and the other, and accept each as its own and not comparable. I think you might be much happier buying the tC, much more like a Solara than the xB could ever be.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want a fast car with a plush ride, you picked the wrong car. You can do things to make it faster and smoother, but it's never going to be a land yacht.

Putting 18s on a car will do anything but make the ride smoother. If you want big chrome rims, go with 17s or wide 16s. I test drove the xB with 18s, I felt every pebble- it's much smoother with the 15s.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:19 AM
DrG
5 Year Member

Smile

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the 17 rims with 45 tires may help the bumpy ride. The power issue is not that modifiable. I am tempted to give the XB one more drive before I close the door on the deal. I have to get my other cars out of my mind when I drive it this time.

I have the 2001 Solara
and a 2004 Murano.

Howie
Old 06-10-2004, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DrG
Smile

Thanks for the input. It sounds like the 17 rims with 45 tires may help the bumpy ride. The power issue is not that modifiable. I am tempted to give the XB one more drive before I close the door on the deal. I have to get my other cars out of my mind when I drive it this time.
Howie
If it's bumpy with 60 tires, it'll be bumpier with 45 tires!

Drive a set before you spend the $$$!

George <--another OF in search of a softer ride
Old 06-10-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do a lot of highway driving and want performance and comfort, then stick with the Camry Solara.

But if you want a versatile fun car (reminiscent of the the felling you use to get riding a VW Bug of the 60's and early 70's) and do as much local driving as highway driving, then go for the xB. Additionally there are many things you do to mitigate the harsh stock ride. Better progressive springs help. Installing wider tires on a 15 or 16 inch wheels (I use 215/50 on a 16 X 7.5 wheel) help. Even our plush lambskin seat covers (from Costco) help these old bones.

Also remember that you can buy two xB's for the price of a fully loaded Solara. That helps.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Hey I'm over 50 also and really like my XB. I've got 17's on and think the ride actually improved a bit over stock. I'm getting lowered this weekend and hope the posts about the Goldlines giving a better ride are true. I'll be very happy if its even close to what is is now

Doug
Old 06-12-2004, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default awesome

I am sorry that I do not have much tech advice at the moment, however, I would like to say that I really think it is an awesome thing that older people are buying, moding and enjoying the box....something that ties generations together.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm 48 in July and I drive on 18's, Hotchkis sway bars and Goldline springs. I really don't mind the ride. I just have to watch for the dips and bad roads. My other car, modified 66' GT Mustang that's an inch and a half off the ground. That's a hard ride!!