Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Positive battery terminal replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 11:37 AM

Default Positive battery terminal replacement.

So my terminals are corroded. The positive can basically be scrapped off. Need to replace it. I want to know has anyone had to replace theirs? Does the universal terminal work for the positive or will it need to be purchased factory? I would rather assume factory but if I can save money I would like to. Secondly, is it going to be just the connection or the entire kit for the positive? Some are sold as the kit so rather than have some one needing a sale at the shop tell me this or that I figured I'd ask you all. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never had any kind of luck with the aftermarket terminal end replacements. These would be the ones where you're supposed to strip back some of the insulation for the battery cable and then tighten two bolts that sandwich the cable in a clamp. They work for a while, then just fall apart. I'd recommend getting a whole cable.

When you do repair the cable, I'd recommend coating the clean terminal ends with one of the numerous battery terminal protector sprays available at parts stores.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How old is the battery as well?
The corrosion is usually caused by acid seeping out of the battery around the post - autozone batteries do that a lot. Vaseline can help, but nothing stops the acid coming out.

I just got a walmart battery after it tested well in consumer reports