Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

When do you say Goodbye to your xB???

Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 AM

Default When do you say Goodbye to your xB???

I got my 2005 xB in 2006, it ran incredibly until about two years ago. I live in Vegas, I love this car, I drove it Seattle and the US/Canada border, I drove it San Diego,
I drove it to Yellowstone, and I drove it to Cabo San Lucas MX. It has 156,000 miles on it, I want to keep the car forever, in a realistic world at least 200,000 miles, that's my goal.

I took a picture when my odometer hit 100,000 and I took pics of my xB at all these stupid places, like I have a pic of my xB next to a redwood tree. Why, because I'm a dork.

Last winter I paid a methy mechanic on Craigslist like 600 bucks to replace the clutch, he did an awesome job. But for past two years the car has no acceleration power and can't really go up steep hills fast anymore.
In 2010 when I went to Mexico I was going about 110 MPH when a cop started to chase me, I panicked and froze not knowing what to do, after about 3 mins the cop turned off his siren, and made a U-turn in the rear view mirror.
This is a 100% true story. I outran the cops in Mexico with my Scion xB!! I LOVE this car.

So now I'm trying to adopt a baby girl, like this week the birth mom is gonna pop. I drive to work and my brakes aren't really working... at all.

I replaced the front brakes myself a couple years ago and it was cheap. But I really don't have the time to do it anymore.

Exhibits:
The hot Vegas sun is removing the paint on my car.
All the actuators on the door locks are broken.
The struts and shocks are history and have been for about 18 months.
And I broke the latch to bring the big seat down so I use pliers to but the seat down.
Fathers day 2011 someone drove into my driver door and didn't leave a note, making the deductible 1,000 instead of 100 dollars so the driver door has a big dent.

So I take the car to a shop today, or a tow truck took it there. Anyhow, I need a new roll over value to pass smog (drop the gas tank fee), new brake line, new rear brakes, new front pads
( maybe I do these on warranty from auto zone? ) so they want 1400 bucks, ahhhhhh!!!!

I'm spending Corvette money on this adoption. I really don't want to buy a new car for a year or two, until these loans are paid off. But at same time, new kid, I need a good car.

There's so much to fix.... not sure what to do???

I've read this forum for years, 1st post. Would love to hear other xB owners thoughts.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-02-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anything to keep it. I got a Matrix as a daily and I miss driving my xB. (It's just for car shows now)
Old 07-10-2014, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Money wise, you will be better off fixing the xB.
How much is a new car? >>$1400
How much is the tax on a new car? $1400??
How much is the depreciation on a new car in the first year >>$1400??
...and if you really want to save money, you will need to do these things yourself with internet parts from Rockauto or similar. It is worth your time.

Keep up on the small repairs so they don't turn into a mountain.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-02-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to keep mine for another 4 years, or 3.5 at this point. I bought a brand new 2014 harley dyna glide in February. I'm making payments on that right now and can't afford that and a car payment. I've had my 04 XB since June 2010. It's got 113k miles now, so I should be able to keep it another 4 years.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know i made that decision of Keeping my xB for At least another 5 more years. It has been so unbelievably reliable, and I save alot of money on my road trips.
In the ending of 2013, I had thought of selling it, in pursuit of buying a new vehicle, which was the Lexus GS. But as weird as this sounds, someone had made a hit and run with my xB this past March.
After repainting the car and cleaned up the under body and so forth, I decided to keep it! There is something about the xB that keeps people intrigued by it, let alone its reliability and trust in long hauls.
Its still a big hit when I go to the beach and to be frankly honest, all the toys you find in the newer cars, Ive got it all modded in mine, so I'm really at no losses.

I agree with the other members , KEEP the xB !

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-02-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Almost every OEM part is cheap, Rockauto/Ebay if you want to save and aren't looking for exact OE manufactured stuff.

I fixed a door lock with a $5 actuator from ebay for example.

DIY: Universal Door Lock Actuator (Gen1 xB) - Scion xB Forum

This is for the rear door, sorry about my ancient camera.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I bought my xB brand new in '05, now has almost 140K miles and lots of hail damage, still on the original clutch and still have no idea when I'm going to sell this thing! Not even thinking about! I actually would like to add another new xB to keep her company!
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM

I just got a black 06 earlier this month. It has 83k miles on it and I plan to keep it until it gets totalled. I love this toaster! Better than my 09 sonata! It's huge and I plan on putting a hitch to increase the amount I can carry on family trips. It fits my 3 kids in the back without a problem! And 2 of them are in their car seats! Best of all, the 27 mpg I get is much better than the sonata. I should be able to get more, but I'm consistantly going up and down hills.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

For me the answer is NEVER!
I bought it new in 04' and it now has only 52K miles and it looks better than new. With proper maint I expect at least 300K miles so basically I'll still be ridin' the box 20 years from now when I'm over 70.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB forever?

I have an 06 with only 47K..and I bought it in Oct 2005. I've thought about getting rid of it a couple of times but there's nothing out there that really competes with the practicality of the 1st gen xB! I test drove the xB2 and while it's nice it's too weird with the uncomfortably low drivers position, the clunky automatic transmission, the very low gas mileage and the huge obstructive pillars in the back.

I'm going to keep my xB for at least 2 or 3 more years and probably 5. The only problem is I move every couple of years, I'm moving back to Hawaii in early 2015 and it's going to cost me 1.1K to ship it but ship it I must!
Old 12-08-2014, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bought my wife an 04 xB back in april 05.
my Dad now uses the toaster for now since he doesnt own a car yet.
i told him to give it back to me once he gets his own car because i wanted to keep it till it breaks. (but im trying to keep up to all the maintenance)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
The Family
SL Member

Like others have said, cheaper to fix the box than buy a new car. I've had my RS2 since March of 2005. Have over 160k miles on it. Only major things done are water pump and alternator.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 06 xB

I'm right now at the ten year mark with my 06 xB and I'm thinking it's time to get rid of it. It only has 50K on it and nothing's wrong with it..except now it finally just feels old. Up to now--because of the low mileage and how much I love this type of practical car--the car was perfect for all my needs. Probably the best car I ever owned, it hauled a LOT of stuff.

Although I don't love it as much, I'll probably still buy the 2015 xB. It's a lot of car for the price and I know it's very solid and will keep its resale value. I kinda would like a small luxury car but there isn't any out there that I like right now. Oh well, worse comes to worst I can keep my new xB until 2025!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlingSlade
I'm right now at the ten year mark with my 06 xB and I'm thinking it's time to get rid of it. It only has 50K on it and nothing's wrong with it..except now it finally just feels old. Up to now--because of the low mileage and how much I love this type of practical car--the car was perfect for all my needs. Probably the best car I ever owned, it hauled a LOT of stuff.

Although I don't love it as much, I'll probably still buy the 2015 xB. It's a lot of car for the price and I know it's very solid and will keep its resale value. I kinda would like a small luxury car but there isn't any out there that I like right now. Oh well, worse comes to worst I can keep my new xB until 2025!
If possible give forum members chance to buy it before you trade it to dealer.