Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

xB Rear Drum Brake - Mis-assembly and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB Rear Drum Brake - Mis-assembly and Fix

My son and I recently put new rear shoes on the xB, but in the time after that, the brake pedal travel got longer and longer, until he had to pull the handbrake on to get the brakes to work properly.
Sounds like I didn't get the auto adjusters assembled correctly and because it a pretty easy thing to get wrong, thought I would take a video of the problem and the fix.
Sorry about the drifting video at the beginning, I did get a tripod out later which is better than hand held.

Oh and for initial adjustment on the brakes it is easiest to just take the drum off and run up the adjuster about 10 clicks then try the drum back on. When the drum starts to get a bit tight putting on, but rotates freely, that is close enough.
The auto adjusters don't take it up that close anyway. I may replace the auto adjusters in the future if this fix doesn't work as the ratchet wheel looked a bit polished and perhaps worn. Rockauto has them cheap. Just have to plan for shipping time.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-14-2021 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Created Sticky
Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up Clearest explanation on how to install rear drum brake adjuster on the web

Many thanks. I've struggled with this on my Scion xB 2004. Your video is so clear. I rode around for two years with mis installed brakes. My guess is that others have too. Why there is no explation on how this ought to fit is a mystery. Perhaps it is because the mounting configuration with the spring around the adjuster is different from most Toyota applications. Tip....With mis install, the ratchet interferes with the spring at least in my case.

Thanks again.....Phil
Old 01-05-2017, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had a couple of comments on the Youtube site, though I would share this one here

From Gary W...
I always hear about the adjuster working only in reverse but it seems this adjustment happens in either direction or not moving at all? If I take a screwdriver and actuate the shoe , the adjuster with turn the star wheel?

My reply...
"working in reverse" I don't know where that came from! I have heard it, but it is a myth.
The adjuster works by having the hydraulic piston expand far enough to get that little piece of sheet metal to advance one click on the adjusting star. Then when you take your foot off the brake, it turns the adjusting screw that small amount...
...The adjuster does not keep the shoes very close to the drum, so you will notice a nice firm pedal after the initial adjustment, then it slowly gets a bit softer as the shoes wear down. If the pedal is going to the floor, something is wrong - which is what was going on initially.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Adding a little tip.
Brake dust - there's a lot of it and it gets lightly stuck to the drum. When you pull the drum off, gently carry it to your trash can, turn it over and hit it with a wooden or rubber mallet. Most of the brake dust will just fall off into the bin. Makes it cleaner to work and less chance of breathing the dust in.
The dust is no longer asbestos, but who knows what the heck it is or what long term affects it may have... just sayin.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:00 PM
SL Member

I recently did my drums as well and I'm certain I put that adjuster on correct but this is making me want to recheck.

For me, my E-brake didn't work for a few days after I did the job...then all of a sudden it worked again. I reconnected the lever and the drum spun around the shoes freely, so I was confused.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what you are saying, it sounds like your e-brake (hand brake) is working again. You may have turned the adjusters all the way in to get the new shoes to fit in the drum and then after many applications of the brake pedal, the adjusters have caught up with the new shoes.
Note: Pulling on the E-brake (hand brake) will not make the adjusters turn - correct me if I'm wrong here!! Have to use the brake pedal. But you should be able to hear it click from the drivers seat as you release the brake pedal.

If you are checking (always a good idea) the notched parts of the adjusters should be on the inside, both front and back.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is why (for a long time) I only do one side at a time when dealing with brake drums. Yes, I will pull both rear drums, but I will only disassemble one side at a time. The other side I use as a visual reference for how things go back together (keeping in mind, opposite sides are " mirror images" of each other.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5 years on...
Just replaced the drums, shoes and auto adjusters as the drums at 160,000 miles had developed a lip that was almost preventing removal of the drum over the shoes.
If that happens to you, there is an access slot on the inside filled with a rubber boot. I made up a little hook from a thin strip of metal (wiper blade stiffener) to lift the adjuster finger off the star wheel, then you can reach in with a screwdriver and move the starwheel up on that side. Really hard to do, as it is all blind work, but it may give you enough clearance to get the drum off..

Another tip, don't remove the handbrake cable from the lever arm on the rear shoe, it is really hard to get back on. Instead, remove that sheet metal clip at the pivot point so the lever stays with the car and the shoe comes out.

We used Centric parts for the drums and shoes and new auto adjusters from FMV (all rock auto parts). The Centric shoes came with the little handbrake replacement clip, so we didn't need to buy the package of clips (20 per pack!!!)
The FMV auto adjuster packages (China) were mixed up. They claim to be left and right parts, the did not say left hand / right hand. They are different,
The left hand threaded adjuster goes on the right hand side, but the sheet metal finger that came with it goes on the left side. This box was marked Left
Similarly with the box marked Right. The RH thread goes on the left and the sheet metal finger on the right
So if you are going to replace the auto adjusters, be sure to buy both and be ready to mix and match.

1st drum took hours, 2nd took 15 minutes. Learning curve!!
Old 10-20-2023, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So about a year and a half & 6000 miles later... (see post #8 above)
We were doing an oil change & tire rotation and I pulled up the handbrake to stop the right rear turning while loosening the lug nuts. The handbrake came all the way up and would not stop the drum from turning. Great!!
Took the drum off and there was very little dust inside and the new drum we put on looked barely rubbed in. The shoes looked unworn too.
I suspected the new auto adjusters we put on at the same time were not working.
Added 10 clicks with a screwdriver and tried the drum back on - turned freely.
In the end we added 50 clicks on the adjuster before we just got the drum to rub and stopped there.

On to the left side.
The handbrake works now, pulls up tight with just 5 clicks
Got the wheel off and pulled the drum off and it was full of brake dust. The shoes looked about half worn!!!
Added 20 clicks to the adjuster and could barely get the drum on. Levered it off and took about 10 clicks out of the adjusters - hard to do. It turned freely with just the barest rub, so it is set well.
So It looks like the new auto adjuster on the left side was actually working and doing it's job, but all the braking load from the rear was going thru just the left side, with the right side doing little to nothing.

Not impressed with these auto adjusters at all, both the originals and the new ones.
Did a corolla with a similar problem too..

Now we have to check the handbrake pull every oil change now as well.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So after inspecting both sides, the Centric brake shoes we put on had worn down from 4 to 3 mm or less in pretty short order - 6K miles.
The drums were heavily scored along with the shoes.
Cannot recommend Centric shoes now.
Did a replace with Brembo shoes and another video. Hopefully this is the fix??