Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Brighter reverse light solution... FINALLY!!! (56K beware)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Brighter reverse light solution... FINALLY!!! (56K beware)

It took some time but I finally found a relatively easy and inexpensive solution to the single 21W 7440 bulb that Scion stuck us with. This solution upgrades the oem bulb to a 35W halogen and allows you to change back to the oem setup at any time. I left my reverse light burning for 10 minutes and the thin oem wires did not feel warm nor did the light housing feel overly warm. I think 35W is safe for the oem wires and light housing but take no responsibility if you experience problems after performing this mod. YMMV.

*Additional info:

The 35W H8 draws 2.7A @12.8V vs 2A for a 25W 7440. 22ga wire is rated for up to 5A @12V for short runs. This mod should be very safe. The brave might even try a 50W H11 which draws 4A @12V but I'm not recommending it.

Parts required:

One (1) 35W H8 halogen bulb ----------$15
One (1) H8/H11 socket and harness ---$10
Two (2) Scotchlok connectors ---------$1?
Electrical tape -------------------------$1?
RTV silicone ---------------------------$3?

Tools required:

One flat blade screwdriver
One 10mm wrench, socket or driver
Side cutters, scissors, etc.
Dremel tool, small files, exacto knife, utility knife, etc.

Procedure:

1) Remove the 10mm bolt from the reverse light housing.
2) Remove the oem socket and bulb.
3) Use a flat blade screwdriver to release the plastic locking tabs on either side of the housing and remove housing from bumper.
4) Use a dremel tool, exacto knife, small file, etc. to carefully remove just enough plastic material from the oem socket mounting hole and mounting tab receiver slots to allow the H8 to be inserted. Alternatively, you can also remove some material from the metal retainer tabs on the bulb housing using dremel, side cutters, snips, files, etc. Whatever you have that will do the job.

*NOTE: Remove only enough material from the housing and/or bulb tabs to allow the bulb to fit snugly into the opening.

5) Clean bulb glass with isopropyl alcohol if you accidentally touched it while modding things (I did).
6) Insert bulb and twist until bulb is secure. Push in to compress the gasket.
7) Attach new H8/H11 wiring harness to factory wires using the red scotchlok connectors (12v (red) to oem red, gnd (black) to oem white)

*NOTE: Depending on the connectors you use, you may have to reverse the metal piece in the scotchlok. Mine were designed to attach a small gauge wire to a larger gauge wire and the slots in the metal piece were sized accordingly. If you do not reverse this piece, it may not penetrate the oem insulation and provide a good electrical connection. Of course there are numerous other options for connecting the new harness, it's up to you.

**NOTE: It was pointed out to me that since Scotchlok connectors are not water-tight, the preferred method of connection should be solder and shrink tube. As an alternative, you could seal the scotchloks with RTV silicone before taping them.

8 ) Attach new wiring harness to H8 bulb and test it.
9) Use electrical tape to wrap all the wiring and connectors, secure as necessary and enjoy being able to see when backing up!

Photos:

Before:

After:

Bulb installed:

New harness spliced into oem:

All taped up and done:

These photos don't do justice but the H8 is rated at 800 lumens vs 400 lumens for the oem 7440:

I hope this helps someone. I'm very pleased with this mod. Took me about an hour after getting all the parts.

Edits in bold.

New before and after photos (7440 vs H8 )

Before (7440)

After (H8 )

Before (7440)

After (H8 )
Old 04-08-2009, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good...think i might try this one day :D
Old 04-08-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nicely done Fred, 1/2 the price of the Catz 25 watt halogen bulb, and double the lumens instead of just 50% more!

Thanks for the DIY.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys. It took me long enough but once I finally removed the housing from the bumper, it didn't take long to figure something out.

BTW, another alternative is to use one of the 800 series halogens. I forgot the numbers but I saw various bulbs in 27W, 38W and 50W. These are a bit too small to lock in but could be held in place with RTV silicone. I actually bought a 38W 894 but decided I liked the H8 better. OTOH, the 894 is a right angle prefocus and the H8 is axial. The 894 might work better.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

After having the car for over a year and a half now, I've realized that the stock reverse light is actually adequate for me. BUT this looks to be a great cheap and simple improvement - I'll probably end up doing this this weekend anyway. Thanks for the write up.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Where did you purchase the required parts from?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice job. gonna have to try this myself soon.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just bear in mind that this mod has yet to stand the test of time. While I believe that the oem wiring and housing can handle these 35W H8s, there is always a chance that something could go wrong.

I got my parts from Autozone but I imagine that most auto parts store carry them.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:07 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I seriously doubt there will be any problems if you tested the light for 10 minutes. The reverse light is only used maybe a few seconds at one time.

I may have to stop at autozone this weekend and do this mod. Thanks for sharing it with everyone!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not even worried about it but I felt obligated to add that cautionary message just in case. I ran 50W 1156 halogens in place of the 27W oem bulbs in a 4x4 for years and sometimes spent a lot more than 10 minutes backing up.

My only regret with this mod is that the H8 has an axial filament and I believe that a right-angle filament would work better in the oem housing. The problem is that I haven't found a right-angle filament bulb that fits and doesn't draw too many watts. A 55W bulb would worry me.

I've received so much help here over the past year, I'm happy to be able to contribute something back. Good luck with the mod, if you do it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Fred, appreciate all your efforts, but is it possible to throw up some pics of the original bulbs light output vs. the new set-up?
Maybe pics of a wall or fence or something being lit up from a short distance.
It looks like from your mod that you can swap between the two quite easily, unless I missed something.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Hey Fred, appreciate all your efforts, but is it possible to throw up some pics of the original bulbs light output vs. the new set-up?
Maybe pics of a wall or fence or something being lit up from a short distance.
It looks like from your mod that you can swap between the two quite easily, unless I missed something.
That's a good idea. I'll try to do that ASAP. I need to find a good location with a wall where I can change the bulbs and I'll use a tripod so the camera angle won't change. I really wish I had a garage...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No garage in Baltimore winters must suck.

Thanks for the extra effort, much appreciated.

You da man!
Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

^ my hero!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for the delay getting some 7440 vs H8 photos up but my work schedule is presenting problems. I also haven't found a good location and can't find my camera tripod. Give me a few more days.

I made some edits to the DIY. Added info and installation note edits are in bold.

BTW, you may notice that I refer to the 7440 as both 21W and 25W. This is because most 7440 bulbs are rated at 21W but I have seen 25W 7440 bulbs for sale. Therefore I think it safe to assume that the oem wiring is more than adequate for 25W draw and used that figure to compare current draw for the different bulbs.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

awesome job!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I made some edits to the DIY. Added info and installation note edits are in bold.
Very cool info updates Fred, appreciate it very much. I'm planning on doing this as soon as I can find all the components,
but my local auto parts store didn't have the H8 bulb or socket & harness.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't find the parts locally, there's always Amazon, et al. Also, the oem-style fog lights sold on ebay come with H8/11 harnesses that you don't need. That's what I used but I did see a H8/11 harness at Autozone for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_au...ds=h11+harness
Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

pretty cheap and amazing mod. so now u can put an HID back there?

Quick Reply: Brighter reverse light solution... FINALLY!!! (56K beware)