Notices

Decided to install a Hitch and looking at options!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Decided to install a Hitch and looking at options!

I'm interested in installing a Hitch to my 2008 xB manual shift and I'm looking at the Curt 12490 plus 56062 wiring kit for actual use with a trailer.

http://www.trailerhitches.com/traile...lass2hitch.cfm

http://www.trailerhitches.com/electr...ector56062.cfm

My concerns are fit and function for both items (for example, no rubbing against the rear fascia, plug compatible harness preferred).
I know the xB2 isn't rated for towing in the U.S. and that I'll have to modify the hangers on my Tsudo exhaust, but other than that, any opinions pro, con, or maybe better alternatives?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
My concerns are fit and function for both items (for example, no rubbing against the rear fascia, plug compatible harness preferred). I know the xB2 isn't rated for towing in the U.S. and that I'll have to modify the hangers on my Tsudo exhaust, but other than that, any opinions pro, con, or maybe better alternatives?
I've found a wiring kit that's supposedly plug compatible with our vehicles.

http://www.towready.com/content/prod...05&part=118468

Also, I get the impression at least some people experience rubbing between the Curt Class II hitch and the xB2 rear fascia. Any inputs on either of these?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

I have with five axis kit just cut lil square out of bottom trim, if have aftermarket exhaust may have trouble mounting, i had hks exhaust and i had tp trim one of the mounts off exhaust cuz mounted same place as hitch.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just learned about another hitch, this one is Class III and has a 2" receiver. Advantage being the receiver size, not the Class III ratings. Unfortunately, haven't found any info on it yet.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...-xb-hitch.html

Originally Posted by sp2
I have with five axis kit just cut lil square out of bottom trim, if have aftermarket exhaust may have trouble mounting, i had hks exhaust and i had to trim one of the mounts off exhaust cuz mounted same place as hitch.
Thanks ! So there was interference between the Kurt Class II and the body kit. I'm guessing the kit was installed first so you probably didn't get a chance to check the OE clearance. I've seen a couple photos where there is sufficient OE clearance, but I'm not sure if some people might have installed washers to space it out.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Ill take look in morning but i dont remeber it being close to oem bumper
Old 06-10-2011, 09:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Curt just touches the rear bumper, so there is some rubbing. And I had to modify the hitch for my Borla Dual Exhaust to work.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks guys, looks like I should probably expect it to touch.

I just learned about another hitch, this one is Class III and has a 2" receiver. Advantage being the receiver size, not the Class III ratings. Unfortunately, haven't found any info on it yet.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...-xb-hitch.html
Just downloaded the install instructions and it looks pretty good.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...ctions/147.pdf

The hanger shape in the main photo looks like just two bolts per rail, but it's actually three, just like the Curt. I wondered about the use of bolts for the center section, but then I saw the Class IV/V Reese hitches also use bolts there.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think I'm going to go with the Curt Class II since it leaves plenty of room for my exhaust resonators. However, first I need to modify the resonator hangers since as supplied with the original Tsudo Dual Fireball, they'll definitely hit the hitch hangers. Looks as though this probably isn't an issue with the current 5-Axis compatible Tsudo Dual since the hanger bushings are apparently under the chassis rails (rotated 90 degrees from the original setup) with the hanger rods entering crosswise from the outside.

Took the Tsudo off and put the OEM back on (definitely prefer it with the Tsudo ) and am working on the new hangers. Current plan is to bend 3/8" steel rod into a 'U' shape, about 3" per side, with a short 3/8"-16 thread on one side and the other side welded lengthwise to the top of the existing resonator horizontal support. With the bushing bracket rotated 90 degrees, I'm expecting this to work out pretty well. Here's hoping!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've found a wiring kit that's supposedly plug compatible with our vehicles.

http://www.towready.com/content/prod...05&part=118468
Turns out the Curt 56062 is also plug compatible with the xB2 (both kits require running a wire back from the battery). I also looked into Valley, but they don't have a compatible kit. The Curt is also the only compatible Class II hitch I found, the others (except for the SuspensionConnection Class III) are Class I.

I've finished modifying and refinishing my original version Tsudo dual exhaust. Here are both new and after modification photos.

Name:  TsudoExhaust1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  94.8 KB
Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_6.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  26.3 KB
Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_7.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  94.4 KB

The hitch arrived Monday and I'm currently painting it with Rustoleum. I also had to paint the two intermediate pipes since they were corroded after three years on the car .

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_4.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  132.1 KB
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turns out the Curt 56062 is also plug compatible with the xB2 (both kits require running a wire back from the battery). I also looked into Valley, but they don't have a compatible kit. The Curt is also the only compatible Class II hitch I found, the others (except for the SuspensionConnection Class III) are Class I.
Oops, my error, although Valley doesn't list it on their site, it turns out they do have a plug compatible wiring harness, the Valley 30256. I'm thinking a good universal flat four pin kit would probably be a lot cheaper -- only missing the two T-connectors for splicing into the rear lights. Not sure yet what kit that would be though.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dual exhaust?????do want
Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fixed link : http://www.towready.com/content/prod...05&part=118468

I'm thinking of getting this, but i want to find out if the xB can tow 250-300 lbs

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
dual exhaust?????do want
You got options dude! I like what I got (Tsudo), but there's also Borla (maybe others, don't know).

Originally Posted by papo
fixed link : http://www.towready.com/content/prod...05&part=118468
im thinking of getting this, but i want to find out if the xb can tow 250-300 lbs
Yes, that's what I linked above -- plug compatible at the rear (link works for me when I click it).

Not clear what you're asking regarding towing. If you ask Toyota/Scion, they'll say you can't tow -- the end. However, if you check the tow rating in other countries, you'll find a different story. The public in this country has too much love of law suits for the purpose of pushing their personal responsibility for a modicum of intelligence off on the manufacturer. Toyota apparently decided they don't need that crap, who can blame them? So they simply say "NO"! If you want to know what works with an xB2, just do some searching on what others are doing.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, finished the hitch install this evening -- here are some photos:

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_12.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_13.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_14.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_16.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_17.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  xBCurtHitchMod_18.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  60.0 KB

I think it worked out pretty good, but I still need to solve the wiring issue!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-20-2020 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks great Tevor! Welcome to the Dual exhaust/hitch club! LOL
Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks !

Regarding install, I didn't use the supplied conical pressure washers on the center bolts since they were the same width as the bushing brackets, plus the additional depth could hurt bolt purchase. I instead added a couple flat washers per side (previously used for spacing the exhaust tips from the rear fascia). I also added a couple fairly thick nylon washers to the nut side of the hangers to make certain the exhaust can't shift at all sideways. Finally, I used anti-seize compound on the six hanger bolts and blue thread lock on the two bushing nuts.

Everything is nice and tight and secure, so I celebrated by giving the car a wash, and then took it for a drive. Sure is nice to have my exhaust back on -- it really does make a difference compared to the OE !
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey quick question. i just got bike and hate putting it in my car. so was looking at one of this or a yakima rack. my question wwas why do u need a wiring harness?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey quick question. i just got bike and hate putting it in my car. so was looking at one of this or a yakima rack. my question wwas why do u need a wiring harness?
You don't. You only need a wiring harness if you are planning on pulling a trailer.

I did what you are thinking about doing. Works Great!

Name:  DSCN1698.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  71.1 KB
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.yakima.com/shop/bike/trunk/kingjoe-2 what about this
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a Saris Bones Rack for my wife's Honda which is similar to this one and the rubber bumpers that are up against the paint is scratching it. I didn't want anything touching the paint, so I went with a hitch mounted rack.

Quick Reply: Decided to install a Hitch and looking at options!