Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

XB2 LED lighting issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Default XB2 LED lighting issues

Today I bring you experts an issue I've been having, but first a little background. I recently purchased a 2009 XB at a great price and decided to try my first mod attempt. Most of the changes are just appearance and not performance related. It's the stock Gray Metallic so I've dubbed it the Rhino. I'm going to do carbon fiber vinyl graphics in black with red accents. Plastidip rims and back emblem, new grills, tinted taillights, red carbon fiber accents on the dash and my personal favorite - a "3 ball" red shifter ****.

The first thing I set out to do though was a complete changeover to LED lighting and HID headlights. This is where I need all of your expertise. I bought all my stuff and changed them out the other afternoon. I did the backup light, taillights, rear turns, license plates, front turns, and low beams. I also did the interior lights: dome, maps, and hatch.

All the lights worked great, and I felt very proud of myself considering I'm a newbie. Anyhow, I didn't notice my problem until I got in to drive the car the next day. Now, whenever I press my brakes my instrument panel lights up along with both turn indicators. At the same time my front turn signals and the ones on my mirrors light up also. Also, when I turn on my lights, everything comes on: brake lights including the LED bar at the top of the rear window and my mirror signals. The signals still blink when I use them, but now at night I basically have no brake lights because they're always illuminated. I also have the typical hyperflashing due to the LEDs.

I bought a new LED flasher and will be trying to install it today if I can get the dash off. But, does anyone know what to do? Other forums for other cars said it might be a grounding problem or something. Yesterday, I disconnected the lights one by one but still had the same issue. Today I was also going to try to put all the stock bulbs back in and go back to square one to see if that works and then work my way back to LED. I'm stumped. Could it possibly be a fuse? I haven't checked those yet.

Thanks for any help and I'm including a mock of what the finished product should look like.

Name:  RhinoTemplate.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  50.6 KB
Old 06-12-2014, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, you have a grounding issue. It sounds like the brake lights are trying to ground through the other lights. I would start by looking over the wires at the tail light to see if something has been pinched or cut accidentally.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brake lights I'd start with . Put your OEM ones back in .
Old 06-13-2014, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Last night I was able to install the LED flasher and fix the hyperflash issue. Then I went bulb by bulb and traced the issue to the two LED 1157s I installed in the front turn signals. I removed those and put the stock back in and it fixed the issue. Now I've got to figure out how to get the red LEDs I want for them to work.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

In some applications the leads on LED bulbs are too long. They will contact both pos + and neg - parts of the socket at the same time.
Note for miniature wedge base bulbs

superbriteleds.com