Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ABS and brake light question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:18 PM

Default ABS and brake light question

I have a 2008 XB, manual transmission, roughly 114,00 miles. Lately I have been having intermittent ABS, Brake and VSC off lights coming on and then going off. I have taken it to my mechanic but of course the lights went off on my way there and then came back on when I left. I had previously had a problem in the winter with my parking brake freezing and not disengaging, so I stopped using it. When the weather warmed up, I started using it again. Then, intermittently I would smell a hot brake type smell and hear a chirp that sounded like it was in the back wheels. At that time I took it to the mechanic who did not hear the noise but pulled the wheels off and saw nothing unusual. It was about a month after that that I got the lights on the panel coming on. Now these lights stay on much longer. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Could it be related to the former parking brake issue or am I just making a connection that does not fit? Thanks!
Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by kmouse64
I have a 2008 XB, manual transmission, roughly 114,00 miles. Lately I have been having intermittent ABS, Brake and VSC off lights coming on and then going off. I have taken it to my mechanic but of course the lights went off on my way there and then came back on when I left. I had previously had a problem in the winter with my parking brake freezing and not disengaging, so I stopped using it. When the weather warmed up, I started using it again. Then, intermittently I would smell a hot brake type smell and hear a chirp that sounded like it was in the back wheels. At that time I took it to the mechanic who did not hear the noise but pulled the wheels off and saw nothing unusual. It was about a month after that that I got the lights on the panel coming on. Now these lights stay on much longer. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Could it be related to the former parking brake issue or am I just making a connection that does not fit? Thanks!
Yup...very common problem with this car. You have corroded rear wheel sensors. You'll need to change rear wheel hubs and sensors. Just dis this myself this summer. Got quoted $1500 from dealership but did it myself for under $500.

Buy a pair of rear wheel hubs on eBay. Got for $120/pair. Had mechanic put them in. Think he (over)charged labor $240.

Buy wheel sensor harnesses online from Toyota dealership parts website. Rear Right and Rear Left. About $35/ea. Lil tricky...but installed myself to save on labor. Had to take out back paneling and seats etc to get to the interior connection (found a forum online about removing paneling).

But can 96% guarantee you have bad rear wheel sensors and hubs.

(Toyota made faulty ones...snow, salt rain etc flyer I'm them and corrode them. They fixed design on the new wire harness)