Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Auto trans and auto-stick, your impressions

Old 04-12-2009, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I pretty much think it sucks. The car has plenty of go when you need it (im glad they put the 2.4 in it) and I get 28.5 mpg's. No need for a function that requires more work outta me.

For the record, I dont think the scion shifter sucks, I think they all do. Now if it was a ferrari with paddle shifters and I was running a course, OK, but no need to waste the effort when a perfectly good auto can do its own work. I rent plenty of cars for work, and have not really liked any of the auto sticks.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well after driving for a while with the xB, nearly a year, I can say the auto-stick is useful! When changing lanes or merging where I need to accelerate to match the speed, I pop it into S and the trans goes down to 3rd. No waiting for the trans to downshift while you're mashing the pedal! Certainly helps make a smoother lane change as I can get up to speed right away.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by wrczx3
Just get the automatic, put it in drive and drive it. These are not meant to be race cars so no sense banging up and down on the autoshift like we are driving a darn Ferrari. They are no different then any automatic made for the past fifty years. You could always shift an automatic manually if you want to. Our cars are NO faster shifting them manually as apposed to just leaving them in drive. The only time I can see a benefit to using the sport shift is to downshift to third gear when approaching a big hill while I am towing something.
WHAT? TOWING???? are you insane??? the xB wasn't meant for towing... you are gonna trash your Tranny.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
Scikotics
SL Member

I almost got an auto, basically so my wife could drive it too. BUT, after driving both the manual & auto versions I decided my wife can stick to driving her car....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by meatcutter525
WHAT? TOWING???? are you insane??? the xB wasn't meant for towing... you are gonna trash your Tranny.
The same engine/tranny in the XB2 were rated to tow 2000lbs in the Highlander and 3000lbs with the optional towing package. I can't see why you couldn't do some light towing with the XB, especially with a better tranny cooler.