Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Coming soon: New exhaust option from Tanabe

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Coming soon: New exhaust option from Tanabe

Just in case someone is interested: They claim power while being quiet, under 93db.

Tanabe Medalion Touring

A refined level of performance and driveability is available in the MEDALION TOURING.

The elegant, well defined appearance of MEDALION TOURING is mature, and matches the artistry of a tastefully built, highly tuned machine.

Using the all new 'continuous strand' ADVANTEX packing material technology, MEDALION TOURING acheives extremely high levels of exhaust system efficiency, while maintaining a street driveable, extremely low frequency and deep tone that is well under 93db for discreet sports driving.

This system requires no removeable silencer for under 93db operation at all rpms. The extremely deep, low frequency tone keeps in-cabin noise to a minimum.

The full SUS304 stainless MEDALION TOURING features a slim-line oval canister, and a special dual wall, angle-cut tip.

This premium quality system is for sports driving.

Now with ADVANTEX performance exhaust technology!

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/exhausts/e...tions.asp?id=7

[/img]
Old 12-05-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd be interested in seeing what this looks like at the rear bumper of an '08 xB, and hearing a sound clip.

Thanks for the update uberspeed!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm waiting on a slew of their products to complement their springs. I believe they have sway bars and struts on the way as well. More options are always a good thing!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

WOW I love the Look. Im just wondering how it sounds ????? Gotta be better than the TRD, it def has a much better look.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good in the picture DREWxBOB, but that tip appears to be fairly large diameter. My worry is that it might look goofy below the bumper (I actually like the flattened oval TRD look), and for those with 2" rear drops like DF210's and Eibach's there could be scrapping problems in addition to looking goofy. I know Tanabe makes both this exhaust and the DF210's, so maybe they have already addressed this. Just can't tell without actually seeing it on the xB.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Looks good in the picture DREWxBOB, but that tip appears to be fairly large diameter. My worry is that it might look goofy below the bumper (I actually like the flattened oval TRD look), and for those with 2" rear drops like DF210's and Eibach's there could be scrapping problems in addition to looking goofy. I know Tanabe makes both this exhaust and the DF210's, so maybe they have already addressed this. Just can't tell without actually seeing it on the xB.

Def looks good in the picture. I can see what your saying about it maybe looking goofy. The New xB has a hard body design to create a muffler that not only sounds good but looks good as well. I still cant come to likening the look of the TRD exhaust. I hope the Tanabe Exhaust will be released soon and a picture of it installed on an xB will help and a sound clip of course. Now you have me thinking about what you said about xB's that are lowered and weather or not it might scrap.......... That's the only good part about the TRD Muffler since its flattened and oval no worry's about it hitting.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hopefully its about the same size as the stock but round. so same diameter left-to-right of the stock.

thank way i think it will be awesome. and i think a big company like tanabe, there is someone that would have brought up the scrape issue...
Old 12-05-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by miketf1
hopefully its about the same size as the stock but round. so same diameter left-to-right of the stock.

thank way i think it will be awesome. and i think a big company like tanabe, there is someone that would have brought up the scrape issue...
or, someone from Tanabe is reading this thread and saying OH S(*&!!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Yea, I gotta say i like the Look of the xB With the Stock Muffler. I hope it will be like what you said about it being the same size left-to-right.Yea they proble worked all the pro's and con's into makeing this muffler for the Gen 2 xB so we may not have any scrapeing at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by lvbitwiz

or, someone from Tanabe is reading this thread and saying OH S(*&!!

That would be funny as hell
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock tip is 2-3/4" tall x 3-5/8" wide, with a 2-1/2" diameter feeder pipe from the can. By the looks of the Tanabe picture, the tip is a clean circle with about a 4" outside diameter... we'll all have to wait and see the reality; hopefully, Tanabe already has. They're really too good of a company not to, but it makes for entertaining discussion.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Apparently I made a good decision to go with the TRD axle-back. I haven't seen anything better yet and this is no exception, IMO.

BTW, does anyone actually believe that there is a significant difference in HP gains between various axle-back systems for our cars? If so, think about it. Just how restrictive do you think the axle-back portion of the exhaust system is? More than the manifold, the 2 cats and the resonator? If you reduced the exhaust back pressure by 1/2, what would you gain and just as importantly, what would you lose?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I really care about is more horse power and if it will scrap, but I did have a tanabe exhaust before on my Accord and was extremely pleased with it. My hope is for style, hp and that it does not hang lower than stock.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed Fred, I'd like to see a stock dyno and then same car dyno with the exhaust. It may indeed give you XX HP but where in the RPM range? I wouldn't want to lose any TQ down low and shift up my power curve for 10HP all the way at the top of my RPM where I'll rarely ever be.
I was just alerting the community, folks have to draw their own conclusions
Old 12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too would very much like to see some real world dyno numbers but I seriously doubt that there would be any surprises. Just some small hp gains in the upper rpm range with the various axle-backs. Maybe Tanabe makes 3hp and TRD only makes 2hp, with both peaking at ~5,000rpm.

I just wanted to make 2 points:

1) IMO people should choose their axle-back based more on appearance and sound than expected hp gains unless they're planning to go far beyond the basic CAI/axle-back setup (header, cat-back, FI, etc.). Even then, I doubt that there would be a big difference between the various axle-backs.

2) I don't care for the Tanabe tip but to each his own. I am glad you posted it though. This might be just what someone else has been waiting for.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:04 AM
SL Member

Cost????
Old 12-11-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the damn car rattles enough already I cant imagine EVER wanting an exhaust..
Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 AM
SL Member

Rattles are factory defects and generally are covered under warranty. I personally am a total PITA to the service department when I hear a rattle. I know that it is an inexpensive car and you get what you pay for but... It better not sound like it is falling apart with 3000 miles on it.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tylers65
Cost????
MSRP was $360 for Gen1, they haven't posted up a price for the xB2.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If this is 93db, how loud is the stock one? How loud is the TRD one? I prefer a quiet exhaust. If this one is quiet, I just want to get it before Uberspeed... that's my personal goal.

And to ScionFred, I totally agree with you about getting an exhaust based on appearance and sound vs. performance. I prefer a quiet exhaust, but just want something pretty sticking out of the back (no homosexual undertones intended)...

Quick Reply: Coming soon: New exhaust option from Tanabe