Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

noisy rattle (pulley)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:54 PM
SL Member

Default noisy rattle (pulley)

hi i have a 2010 scion Xb, have kept regular maintenance on her and runs fine. when wife bought it it did rattle a little bit, thought that it was a cold/warming up issue. well 60,000 miles later it is very annoying.. and wanting to replace asp! lol.

symptoms as follows..
upon start up i get a real loud rattle almost sounds like bad valve train but its not.after warmed up it goes away a little but but always a small grinding/metal to metal contact.
I do notice that once past 2,000 RPM's the noise goes away but returns once under 2,000 RPM's, or if i go over a speed bump, or a dips in road ( i live in phx and roads are designed for flash floods) it goes away momentarily. Sometimes when approaching corner, and rpms are low, its seems to slip for a second almost "dog-gin out" then catches and rpms climb and noise goes away until under 2,000 rpms.

i have watched a few videos and read a few articles, as this is a known issue with the part. now my question is do you think its the pulley itself or the tensioner? seems weird that over 2,000 rpms it goes away. and second question is this a somewhat cheap fix at a shop? i am mechanically inclined i just dont feel like sitting in driveway alday to do this let alone mess with motor m ount and jacking motor up 2inches.
would like to say thank you for the time it takes to read this short story.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best bet is a short video.
Pop the hood - keep fingers and clothes clear of anything rotating and see if you can pinpoint the source of the noise. Don't have to get that close.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:29 PM
SL Member

Havent had time for short video but after calling a few places i found a respectable shop that would do it for a fair price if i provide part. Thwy said 103 out the door w/no warranty. Otherwise the only option is to buy from dealer. Now i see a few on ebay but any recomemdations for a aftermarket part? Dont want another oem thats going to squeek again.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I kind of like rock auto for parts if you can wait for them - can take up to a week
Not sure the exact part you are after but this link should get you close - look near the top
2010 SCION XB 2.4L L4 Belt Drive Parts | RockAuto
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
I kind of like rock auto for parts if you can wait for them - can take up to a week
Not sure the exact part you are after but this link should get you close - look near the top
2010 SCION XB 2.4L L4 Belt Drive Parts | RockAuto
appreciate it, thank you
so i finally got time to monkey around and found good price for repair if i bring my part. So i took long metal ruler and put on alternator and sounded good. so i put it on the tension-er bolt and heard a little noise, then places on tension-er pulley and i didn't even have to put ear to it i could hear it !
then upon inspection i noticed a puddle of coolant on top of the water pump. i did notice this the other day but thought it was over spill as i had topped off the other day. so wiped clean and is back. i have not seen any overheating or even running hot. i would say maybe a eight of a inch of coolant is missing from reservoir.
(see pics)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B20...ew?usp=sharing
thanX in advance
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there a pink line on the hood liner directly above the water pump? If so then the seal for the water pump is failing and it'll need to be replaced. This was a known issue with the 08 and some 09 models.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Is there a pink line on the hood liner directly above the water pump? If so then the seal for the water pump is failing and it'll need to be replaced. This was a known issue with the 08 and some 09 models.
didnt notice this morning but will look when wife gets home. there is no "whining" from water pump itself. so maybe a gasket replacement and a coolant flush will give it a fix? i wiped the puddle a week ago i would think and looked at it for a couple of days and no coolant. got back from a long day trip yesterday and it was there. waterpump at AZ is 70.00 so maybe just replace anyways?
i do live in AZ and it is starting to warm up again.
thanX again guys.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have had the pink line under the hood after a few times where we needed to get the engine into the high end of the rev range (4-6K rpm). If we keep it below 4K we get no pink line - so it is probably the seal lifting off at higher speeds
Old 03-22-2017, 03:29 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
I have had the pink line under the hood after a few times where we needed to get the engine into the high end of the rev range (4-6K rpm). If we keep it below 4K we get no pink line - so it is probably the seal lifting off at higher speeds
i try at 4k or a littke above. This morning i was re assuring myself i have everything or know what to get while there and i noticed the resovior return hose clamp was not on from radiator. Sealed up topped off and fingers crossed. (Lol)

If i see coolant at 4k then its the seal?
now when i remove water and it looks fine i can just use rtv to create a seal correct?
any recomendations on a tool for the belt? The autozone comes with a 3/8 drive rod thats too long and a socket that only fits 1/2 in. Thats too short.