Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Error code P0793 on 2009 xB

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Error code P0793 on 2009 xB

Hi,

About four days ago my 2009 xB started to have a problem when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear (delay), most often when the engine is still cold.
Using scanner got an error code P0793 (intermediate shaft speed sensor A circuit no signal).
Some suggested that the automatic speed sensor needed to be replaced. So I ordered this part
Dorman 917-603 Input Speed Sensor for Lexus/Scion/Toyota : Amazon.com : Automotive Dorman 917-603 Input Speed Sensor for Lexus/Scion/Toyota : Amazon.com : Automotive

My question is how many automatic speed sensor 2009 xB have?
One person said that his 2006 Toyota Sienna has 2 of them (one near battery and one other under air filter housing).

Is the installation itself as easy as installing a spark plug despite the location?
I mean is there any precautionary action needs to be done before or after installation?

Thank you in advance.....

Eddy
Old 11-07-2013, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just curious if you have any luck with your issue once you replaced it? Did you replace it yet?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rhino Box
Just curious if you have any luck with your issue once you replaced it? Did you replace it yet?
Sorry it's kind of late I found your message.
First of all it has 2 speed sensors (they are the same exact. The one I posted on my first post was the correct one).
One sensor is located under air filter box (you need to remove the air filter housing to have access to it; you may also need to remove the battery/battery platform to make it easier). I changed this one myself, so I know exactly where it is. I still had the problem after changing it, so I must have changed the wrong one.
Unfortunately, I'm not so sure about the other one, since I took the car into a garage, and they did not want to show me where it was located. They just said that they noticed one of the sensor was new and that was not the one needed to be replaced. And they charged me $319 for it.

However based on the diagram I found after the fact (attached), it looks like they are close to each other. So if you have time and patient, you will certainly find out where it is. Had I found this diagram before, I would have had changed both myself.

Hopefully this will help.
Good luck.

Note: The sensors are coded 89413B on the diagram. It comes with o-ring already. To make it easier when plugging it in, you may want to put a little bit transmission fluid on it.
Attached Thumbnails Error code P0793 on 2009 xB-transmission-revolution-sensor.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any update on this. Mine is doing the same. IT wont shift into 4th just hangs in third. Incredibly irritating .
Old 10-29-2014, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
any update on this. Mine is doing the same. IT wont shift into 4th just hangs in third. Incredibly irritating .
I think you need to know if it is the speed sensor(s) is the problem (mine it was the speed sensor). You could find it out by using a scanner (the error code will point you to the cause of the problem. If you have Autozone nearby, they might scan it for you for free).
My post was about replacing the speed sensor(s). If you know that the speed sensor(s) is the problem, I think you can replace it yourself. Use the attached diagram to find where the sensors are located. Once you find where they are located, replacing is easy. It'll save you a lot. Make sure you get the correct speed sensor for your car (mine is 2009 xB).
I bought a new aftermarket one at Amazon.com for $61 (compare to what a garage have charged me to install a new one $319). I don't even know if they installed a Toyota genuine part since it's not a Toyota authorized service center. So $250 for installation is too much.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StadiumRocks
I think you need to know if it is the speed sensor(s) is the problem (mine it was the speed sensor). You could find it out by using a scanner (the error code will point you to the cause of the problem. If you have Autozone nearby, they might scan it for you for free).
My post was about replacing the speed sensor(s). If you know that the speed sensor(s) is the problem, I think you can replace it yourself. Use the attached diagram to find where the sensors are located. Once you find where they are located, replacing is easy. It'll save you a lot. Make sure you get the correct speed sensor for your car (mine is 2009 xB).
I bought a new aftermarket one at Amazon.com for $61 (compare to what a garage have charged me to install a new one $319). I don't even know if they installed a Toyota genuine part since it's not a Toyota authorized service center. So $250 for installation is too much.

Good luck.
do you think its possible that you could take a photo inside the engine where these sensors are? Im not very good at reading diagrams. I have the same error code on my scanner i bought (off amazon) So i know It's one of those and probably the one that you had to pay extra for. I hate having to clear it while im driving its so annoying.

If you can't its ok im just looking at the engine trying to source it
Old 11-03-2014, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok i found it! look under battery frame... now my next question is how the hell to remove it?? I couldn't disconnect either sensor from the plug. Nor would it remove i was concerned about breaking it off. Does it just pop out?
Old 11-05-2014, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like you do have to replace both. I ordered a new one. Put it in. Stil had issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sadly replaced both sensors and no change. In fact possibly worst performance. Taking it to the dealer...sucks.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wonder if it is the electrical connectors and not the sensors???
Do any of the contacts look corroded - you can probably only see the pins

If so, squirt WD40 in there and cycle the connectors in and out several times to see if it improves things
Old 11-29-2014, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My local shopped solved the issue. IT was the sensor on the top of the transmission aka the one under the air box. near starter. Apprently it was not in all the way. They stated that you had it right but it was n't pushed /c licked in all the way. So far clean sailing! Now its a 0173 error code im like omg. but its gonna be ok!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Many cars have this issue. Usually the trans wont shift out of 2nd
Old 10-11-2016, 12:05 AM

Default SWAP SENSORS REPAIR P0793 (intermediate shaft speed sensor A circuit no signal)

I had error code P0793 (intermediate shaft speed sensor A circuit no signal) 08 xB.

Symptom- single event of momentary drag / hesitation, either early in drive or maybe just after battery-disconnect code reset (as if car was testing error with a brake application), not sure which particular shift, dunno really since I didnt drive it too many times.

As described above, two identical sensors but
No idea which is sensor A or sensor B, (tho thanks for the helpful pic above !)
wires looked good, connectors seemed secure & clean.
Meter dead so I did not check sensor Ω .

Swapped sensors position (A to B? B to A?) & reinstalled.
There was a tiny bit of ATF on the sensors, wiped up.
Hoping at worst the error code moved with a bad sensor.

After one decent drive, no CEL, no grab/hesistation.
Fingers crossed.

Code read out (thanks Autozone! even in cali they do it, surprise surprise). Free.
Parts.Swapped. Free ( looks less than $20 on the 'bay for new / aftermarket, btw)
Remove & swap, replace sensors . 20 minutes of otherwise perfectly good life.
No CEL light, get extra laid tonight as a mechanical god. Priceless

Could just have been some corrosion on the contacts scraped clean by the R&R.
Dry enviroment car, not rusty & dusty. YMMV

Last edited by gtgt_bangbang; 10-11-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:54 AM

Default update on sensor swap

CEL came back on during 2nd trip after swapping the two i.shaft sensors positions, how ever the symptom of the momentary stall , etc went away.
Drove smooth for next tow trips. The failed sensor position may dictate how the car responds ...

If fail happened when you were away from parts supply or out on the road, and were getting that grab or hesitation, swapping sensors ( ~20 minute job that can be done on hot engine with just a 10mm & 12mm socket ) may save the day.

I am not going to worry about which sensor is A and if the code changed with the part swap, cheap enough to prefer install both at same timre
Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Default PO793

Had the same issue regarding the tranny suddenly not shifting into 4th while I was cruising down I-95 at about 1 AM. The VSC light, Check Engine Light and the Trac Off Light all illuminated with the VSC light flashing. The car was still operating (albeit without 4th (overdrive) gear). When I got home I immediately jumped online and did some research. I found an abundance of info but nothing pointing me in a general direction (aside from checking the gas cap). Went to Pep Boys in the morning and had the code read...came out with error code PO793 (Intermediate Shaft Speed Sensor A Issue). I located the 1st sensor under the air filter and lo and behold the wires were completely chewed through. Turns out that a squirrel had hid a nut in that area (nut was still there) and had chewed the wires up pretty bad to the point that they finally came part as I was driving. I was able to purchase the connector with wires attached (PN S1530) for the sensor at Pep Boys for $57.00 and it was in stock (RockAuto has it for $27.00 but I needed it ASAP). Took just a few minutes to replace the connector and it test drove fine. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes to clear the code and my X-Box is back on the road. Currently running with 190,000K on it!!!