Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Issues with shifting the 5 speed, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 05:14 AM

Default Issues with shifting the 5 speed, normal?

First thanks to anyone for giving me any input here as to my issue, appreciate any and all comments from fellow 5 speed XB2 owners.

I bought my 2015 5 speed manual brand new 3 months ago. Had 2 miles on it when I picked it up, so I know I was essentially the first person to test drive it, (2 miles are accumulated driving on/off the boat from Japan) etc.

Since the first week of ownership I have had a major issue with 1-2 shifts. Basically, I can shift as slowly as possible, clutch fully depressed, at 5 MPH and above, and I can feel a small semi grind through the shiftier, such that the car feels rough going into gear.

I've tried shifting 1st to 2nd at every speed/RPM and I can't make a smooth shift like 2nd-3rd, 4th-5th, etc. The only way it shifts without the small crunch, is by shifting at around 3-4 mph or double clutching.

There is no issues going 1st, neutral, second, likewise no issue going from 3rd to 2nd, or putting the car in neutral coming up on a light, then going into to second if the light turns green first for example.

I have basically resorted to going from 1st to 3rd, or starting off in second to avoid this issue.

I have tried switching to Eneos gear oil, at 2k miles, and it made other shifts more smooth, but did little to improve the grind I feel up through the shifter into second from first.

No amount of slowness/deliberate shifting allows a smooth 1-2 shift, I am now at 4,500 miles.

Basically I want to take it in to the dealer to see what they think, but I would desperately like to know if anyone else with a manual XB2 has the same issue/can weigh in first. Maybe they have a technique driving this transmission that I could learn from?

I have already had to adjust my driving style to the RPM increasing if the clutch is depressed too soon after I let my foot off the gas. Yet by pausing between clutch and gas to fix the RPM bump, second cannot engage smoothly.

Mainly, since the car doesn't actually make a bad noise during the 1-2 shift, you can just feel the grind through the shifter, I feel the dealer will say I have nothing wrong, and dismiss the claim.

BTW, I am coming from daily driving an '00 Camry v6 5 speed, and a '06 Mazda5 2.3 5 speed, so am familiar with the operation of the manual, and haven't had an issue like this with any other manual Ive driven.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 PM

I have not felt the rough shift in a XB2 yet but i have in multiple other vehicles. this vehicle has a manufactures defect guarantee and it sounds like you may be dealing with a defect. i suspect there is a flaw in the 2nd gear syncro that will require replacement or repair to correct. Be nice, be polite, but your paying good money for something that is not suppose to do that. and if the dealer says it is normal, then ask then to pull another one around so you can test drive it and feel it for your self. (maybe it is normal).
Old 07-20-2016, 04:35 PM

I have a '12 and have not noticed any such issues.

Ryan
Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM

I have a 15 xB manual that got in May... have not had this issue either.

Since it's new and has the 3 yr/ 36k mile warranty, take it to your dealer and let them fix it.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The OEM fluid is terrible, I absolutely hated it and changed it before 5k miles because the shifting was bad. Try ENEOS MTF and see if it fixes it. It's the best fluid imo for our transmissions.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 AM
SL Member

I have a 2010 xB with a 5 speed transmission. My recommendation is to have it checked out ASAP by the dealer. There is nothing special that you need to do when shifting.

Read on if you want to hear about my transmission problem:

My car is at the dealer now due to transmission problems. Long story short, I had my transmission and clutch replaced in Dec '14 with ~ 125K miles. Step forward 20 months and 40K miles later, car is in the shop for the same problem. Of course the warranty period has elapsed.

They are taking apart the transmission to determine if it was a defect or if it's due to abuse (which of course I don't abuse the car). All the cars I've owned have manual transmissions. Of the 7 cars that I've purchased over the years, only the xB had transmission problems.

Has anyone had their transmission replaced on their 2nd Gen xB?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

I had the manual trans replaced(warranty) on my 08 because of internal bearing issues.
Oddly enough, i had to have the Automatic trans on my 15 replaced(also warranty) because of output bearing issues. :/