Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Exhaust

Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Default Exhaust

Hello everyone just shopping for some exhaust systems, had some questions about what brand and what kind i should get, looking for a dual exhaust syste preferable, but any opinions would be great, and also how much is that cost of an exhaust system?? need help, thanks and and also any links to website or ebay would be helpfull
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Let me give you a brief overview of how our boxe's exhaust system is setup.

Starting from the header, you have your manifold which includes a cat then a down pipe to the scuba tank. The scuba tank is a muffler with baffles and the second cat. Following the scuba tank is a mid-pipe that extends to your axel back system which runs over your back axel and to a resonator and then finally your exhaust tip.

The majority of power loss for these vehicles is the scuba tank as it is very large and very constricting.

Purchasing any kind of axel back with change the note of the exhaust system while keeping it at a quiet, tolerable level. If you want to get a glimpse of what your car might sound like with a replacement axel back from TRD, Borla, HKS or any other replacement, just unbolt the two bolts that attaches your stock axel back to your mid-pipe and move it to the side.

In my opinion, it doesn't sound bad, but because you now have exhaust flowing from your undercarriage, you will have drone. I ran this setup for many months when I first got my box only because I wasn't used to have a quiet car.

Something you have to understand about purchasing axel backs . . . you are paying over $200 to just replace a resonator and barely changing the sound. The Tsuedo axel back and the Borla axel back are good quality systems, but you are going to pay out the ___ for some piping and the dual tip look. If you look at a Borla, you will see there is no replacement resonator, just extension of piping. And they want to charge $300+? Sorry, not my thing.

I was going to cut my stock resonator and just have an exhaust shop weld in an extension and have it sound just the same. But I found a complete exhaust system on eBay for only $170 shipped which includes a direct replacement for scuba tank, mid-pipe, and the axel back. This gave it a deep tone without all the noise that a fart can would produce. Very nice system IMO and Im sure alot of people have purchased this system now that more people have tried it.

Its all about preference. But if you are on a tight budget and want to get the most for your money, the entire eBay system is the way to go. But if you want to spend more then $170 shipped on just replacing the stock resonator with a name brand resonator, then there is a bunch of options for you.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Here is the link of the thread that I made when I first installed the complete eBay system. Very simple, took me about an hour with two people to install it in my garage. Piping and flanges were quality and the welds were decent.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...5fe2a8b4274a12
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i has this system waiting in the garage...its very good for the money...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Does anybody know which is better performance wise between the ebay exhaust and the CX Racing catback?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

CX Exhaust has a much higher diameter piping which will allow more air flow but at the expense of losing bottem end torque. Their exhaust system is setup for their turbo system which will benefit only a boosted car.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...just a little public service announcement.

axle:

axel:

sorry for the thread jack. I just kept seeing seeing Axel Rose while reading that [very informative] post. Some of you may be too young to know him. Damn I'm old.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

GNR should have stayed dead after all these years... Axel must really need money...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by ShaffNasty
GNR should have stayed dead after all these years... Axel must really need money...
Originally Posted by Axel Rose
Cocaine is a helluva drug...
Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just wondering if all the exhaust systems out there are axel back?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:03 PM

no, cx racing is cat back, that is only one i know of