Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

K&N SRI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:19 AM

Default K&N SRI

Took this afternoon to install the K&N short ram intake, the typhoon kit I believe. Installation was simple, just took me a few minutes longer to scratch my head at the horrible directions. They're incredibly brief and the pictures are small and in gray scale which makes them useless. But generally a pretty basic installation.

The sound is pretty awesome, it's very loud. If you're looking for something mildly louder then stock, then this is not for you -- it growls incredibly loud. I didn't necessarily want it to be this loud, but then again, I'm not hating it either.

This didn't help my low end, but anything after 2500rpm on WOT is an improvement. I didn't have a digital camera around while installing, but I will snap some pictures tomorrow. On a side note, the instructions say that this unit was supposed to come with a CARB sticker but no sticker existed. I'm going to have to call the K&N rep and find out about that.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah Im not really liking the design of this intake. I just dont like short rams period unless its on a turboed car. But congrats on your new intake!
Old 05-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Yeah Im not really liking the design of this intake. I just dont like short rams period unless its on a turboed car. But congrats on your new intake!
I guess its a different strokes different folks kind of thing. On a prior vehicle I had a K&N CAI and I was constantly avoiding standing water. I just wanted to play it safe on this vehicle.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hear you on the engine roar.. with my AEM CAI its a beast as well.

as for the carb sticker, unfortunately i dont think youre going to get one.. the stock intake has a filter that traps fuel that finds its way backwards in the intake path. that filter is a emissions control part and when removed it becomes illegal. the TRD CAI has that filter and thats why its carb legal and also makes less power
Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

boo.. so no carb sticker for it? i was really looking forward to a carb legal SRI... guess i gotta keep on waiting...

SinZz--
Old 01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
AlphaSquad
SL Member

There is pics floating around of this intake already. I had the first one out and didnt like the way it looked in there. It is a great intake though.
Nice buy though.