Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...
View Poll Results: How much oil does your 2AZ-FE consume?
1 qt every 1000 miles
20.63%
1 qt every 2000 miles
14.29%
1 qt every 3000 miles
15.87%
1 qt every 4000 miles
1.59%
1 qt every 5000 miles
11.11%
Less than 1 qt every 5000 miles
36.51%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sincerely believe that w30 will reduce your oil usage. The only thing you might lose is some miniscule reduction in MPG.

Last year I bought my daughter a 97 Geo Prizm with 80k miles on it. I made the mistake of adding 5w20 M1 oil, leftover from when I ran it in my XB. It used about 1 qt every 2k miles but only 1 qt every 5k miles since switching to 5w30 dino.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Assuming that you don't have complete service records for the first 86k miles, your present oil consumption could easily be related to poor servicing before you bought it (or not). Another possibility is that TC valve cover. They are not interchangeble, although they are very simiilar. The main purpose of that oil baffle is to prevent oil from being sucked into the engine through the PCV system. Running without it almost certainly is causing some or all of your excess oil consumption. I highly recommend finding a XB VC to replace the TC one. Another potential problem with a TC VC is that the coil packs are also different. I know of one member who cracked a XB coil pack by installing it into a TC VC which takes a slightly shorter coil pack.

I was thinking along the same lines. But unfortunately I cannot find any XB's in the junkyards or online to get another VC. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mauby
I was thinking along the same lines. But unfortunately I cannot find any XB's in the junkyards or online to get another VC. Thanks for your input.
Until you find a XB VC you could install a catch can to capture some of the oil before it enters the manifold and cylinders. It would also give you a good idea of how much oil is being sucked through the PCV valve without that VC baffling.

You're always welcome and thank you for voting in the poll. 547 views, 21 posts, 10 valid votes and one invalid. UFB...
Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
SL Member

tell you what, when we pulled my engine apart 2 to 3 days ago we noticed some virtical scratches that you could feel with your nail on the cylinder walls. That is a guaranteed reason why some of you are losing oil are because of those small scratches. A Toyota mechanic of 15 years (master Rank) Told me he has seen this a couple times and will definatly be the cause of burning oil and it will slip through those scratches. Just saying . However if burning a little oil is the worst i have to suffer for a motor that will go 400k easy i can not complain that much. Just need to watch oil level.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, for anyone who's interested, I'm at 50k miles. It's 5000 miles and not a single drop of oil has been consumed. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
SL Member

As far as the Scratches, its from Running low on oil. Mine are very minimal i barely burn any gas (70k miles on it now) But that is definatly the main reason with our engines why they burn oil. Like i said before if thats the worst, for a motor that will last 400k ill take it.

I sincerely believe that w30 will reduce your oil usage. The only thing you might lose is some miniscule reduction in MPG.
you are 100% dead on Fred. It will limit your burning by quite a bit going to a thicker oil, and will not hurt anything at all. This is from Toyota Regional, and the Mechanics.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
As far as the Scratches, its from Running low on oil. Mine are very minimal i barely burn any gas (70k miles on it now) But that is definatly the main reason with our engines why they burn oil. Like i said before if thats the worst, for a motor that will last 400k ill take it.
Just to be clear, did you accidentally run your engine low on oil to cause the scratches or are you saying that the engine has an oiling problem that results in cylinder wall scratches? In any case I feel a lot better having the superior film strength of 5w30 protecting vital components than the sewing machine-thin 0w20 oil that Toyota, et al have started recommending for slightly improved mpg.

you are 100% dead on Fred. It will limit your burning by quite a bit going to a thicker oil, and will not hurt anything at all. This is from Toyota Regional, and the Mechanics.
It's good to hear Toyota acknowledging this fact. What convinced me was the fact that nothing in the engine has changed since Toyota recommended 5/10w30. Time to put those "closer tolerances" theories to rest.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I chose <1qt over 5Kmi; however, I have less than 12K on the car. In any case, it's my intention to go 5W-30 with my next oil change (currently running 5W-20 Mobile One). The single most important thing to me is the welfare of my drive-train, any cylinder scratches whatsoever are unacceptable ! Perhaps any delay is a mistake?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Smile

I dont lose enough to notice much difference on the dipstick
Mobil 1, 0w20 I had used Castrol EDGE 0w20 once as it used to be much cheaper, at least at that one time i purchased oil.
EDIT: 99k miles

Last edited by reaper_700; 02-07-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added mileage
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 AM
SL Member

0 / 20 synthetic is where the burning has been happening. Our car calls for 5 / 20 synthetic or regular, why use something thinner than what the car recommends?

Some have no problems using lighter Weight however Some do, all depends on how your cylinder walls are and if you have any grooves =P
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
I chose <1qt over 5Kmi; however, I have less than 12K on the car. In any case, it's my intention to go 5W-30 with my next oil change (currently running 5W-20 Mobile One). The single most important thing to me is the welfare of my drive-train, any cylinder scratches whatsoever are unacceptable ! Perhaps any delay is a mistake?
Going thicker 5/30 in theory should actually be better for your car, as it will not break down as easy, more Lube. Might lose a 1/4 mile of a gallon but well worth it for the long life of the motor. These blocks are known for having minor ( Vertical )scratches in the cylinder walls, from the horses mouth. We also had a second engine block and it had the same thing, both blocks had about 60k miles. Again not a huge problem however its something to be aware of and always make sure you check your oil every other gas change and use 5/20 or heavier, and your motor will last you 400k miles no problem with minimal oil burning =)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good to me !! Drive-train health is definitely more important to me than absolute MPG. I used to run my Eclipse 4G63 on 5W-30 Mobil One, but as it approaches 130Kmi, I've switched to 10W-30 High Mileage. Most people don't seem to keep cars, but my inclination is to keep them running as long as I reasonably can !

Last edited by TrevorS; 02-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

FYI this poll is not anonymous so everyone can easily see who is casting votes by clicking on the vote #.

Koolbox and youngflier both owe everyone an explanation for why they claim to be burning 1 qt every 1,000 miles. Your claims are absurd and unbelievable without explanation.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM
SL Member

i should also at least explain my poll, i was burning 1.5 to 2.5qts every 9,k miles on 0/20 1QT every 9k miles on 5/20. So i use 5/20 or 5/30 now =) As our car does call for 5/20

i wish i could edit, because i should be 1 of those 12.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I stumbled across a thread which helps to explain Youngflyer's vote:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...22&postcount=1

Apparently he bought a used TC with a blown supercharger and he states that it "leaks 2 qts between oil changes". That's only 1 qt every 2500 miles but in any case this poll wasn't intended to include abused, worn out used TC's with blown supercharger seals.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
0 / 20 synthetic is where the burning has been happening. Our car calls for 5 / 20 synthetic or regular, why use something thinner than what the car recommends?

Some have no problems using lighter Weight however Some do, all depends on how your cylinder walls are and if you have any grooves =P
the owners manual states 0w20 all year round and recommends for fuel mileage. It is still a 20 weight oil when hot for either one. And using synthetic i do not worry about it "breaking down".
Old 02-09-2012, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only difference between synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 is that 0w20 flows ever so slightly better at very cold temperatures making it a good choice for those living above the artic circle. It's also worth noting that 10w30 synthetic actually flows better than conventional 5w20 when cold. Syn 5w20 is actually no better at protecting your engine than 0w20 and won't affect oil consumption.

Also, scratched cylinder bores are not normal wear and have nothing to do with the Toyota TSB for excessive oil consumption. Scratched cylinder walls are caused by dirt, debris, over-heating or oil starvation. This reminds me of when I bought my ebay CAI that was literally full of metal shavings. Had I not thoroughly de-burred and cleaned that intake before installing it I would no doubt have scratched cylinder walls from all those metal shavings getting caught between the pistons, top rings and cyl walls. I did a full write-up of that install but for those who did not read it, I reiterate the necessity of inspecting and cleaning any new intake components before installing them on your car.

Last edited by ScionFred; 02-09-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by reaper_700
the owners manual states 0w20 all year round and recommends for fuel mileage. It is still a 20 weight oil when hot for either one. And using synthetic i do not worry about it "breaking down".
maybe for your year, but not for mine =) It strictly says on the oil cap 5/20 hard to miss.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
The only difference between synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 is that 0w20 flows ever so slightly better at very cold temperatures making it a good choice for those living above the artic circle. It's also worth noting that 10w30 synthetic actually flows better than conventional 5w20 when cold. Syn 5w20 is actually no better at protecting your engine than 0w20 and won't affect oil consumption.

Also, scratched cylinder bores are not normal wear and have nothing to do with the Toyota TSB for excessive oil consumption. Scratched cylinder walls are caused by dirt, debris, over-heating or oil starvation. This reminds me of when I bought my ebay CAI that was literally full of metal shavings. Had I not thoroughly de-burred and cleaned that intake before installing it I would no doubt have scratched cylinder walls from all those metal shavings getting caught between the pistons, top rings and cyl walls. I did a full write-up of that install but for those who did not read it, I reiterate the necessity of inspecting and cleaning any new intake components before installing them on your car.
not quite true when my mechanic sees it on 80% of the 2.4l blocks he actually opens up, which has been at least hundreds, that 2.4 has been out for quite a while. dirt and what not can cause it, but it is also a known problem on the 2.4L They are minor meaning you will not have major problems if even minor. However vertical scratches can cause you to burn oil as the oil goes past the seal, through the scratch.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The oil cap for my 08 xB states 5w/20 and 0w/20.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption