Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by creamyxb2
why do you still have the trd box in and why are you still running uni-chip. nice build

using the TRD box for air intake =) Yes running unichip with split second enricher for the closed loop tuning. Why the Unichip Still? Well, speed cut, sprayer control for intercooler, boost control (if wired in) ability to let ecu control at cruising for max gas mpg =)) (stock ecu adjust for pressure / temp / and other elements). I was torn for a long time, but if this sse works as intended i will have everything i need.

Last edited by ThatGuyAtGeweke; 03-30-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by horsefeathers
Amazing car you have set the bar high!
thank you very much!!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by STCxB
I spoke to Fred about help with going F/I without a rebuilt tranny 4 months or so ago. I seriously can't wait to. I'm in the process of acquiring parts for my built exhaust and hopefully can have that done in the next few weeks (possibly with a center exit), then I just have to work hard over the summer to get the cash I need for the turbo. I would love to have my box running how yours is. Hopefully in a few years!

Another quick note, I know I saw an AWD swap on an xB. Have you considered doing something along that route for your box? You've completely rebuilt your engine, why not your drivetrain? You would lose some power due to the extra weight of your drivetrain, but it would be interesting to see. Kinda my dream, personally.
no, purely because of the more parts to fail, the needing of a new ecu, the loss of power to the wheels, nothing of which i care to deal with lol!

Im also glad to hear you plan to do it also! Too many people hate on auto's if done right they will be faster every single time =) AUTO POWER! im just here to prove all those non believers wrong!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm here to help you! You'll never shift faster than an auto, no matter who you are, and your turbo will never spool quickly enough. Haha. I can't wait to be running boost.

Also, do you have any dyno sheets yet? I'm dying to see your numbers!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 PM
SL Member

I'm here to help you! You'll never shift faster than an auto, no matter who you are, and your turbo will never spool quickly enough. Haha. I can't wait to be running boost.

Also, do you have any dyno sheets yet? I'm dying to see your numbers!
No dyno sheets yet and thank you for the kind words. Waiting until we get the fuel maps worked out still and once i see damn near perfect curves on timing / fuel / and maf im going to the dyno and track. Need to do the fuel pump so within 2 or 3 weeks i should be up near 20 psi
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 AM

Getting list together for fuel pump install. Second time I will have the tank out of this thing. Wiring for Split Second Enricher is all worked out. Just have to come up with the time to put it all together. I really like the results so far. Glad I didn't have to finance it. :-)
Old 03-31-2012, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks alot Fred I will look these over these articles soon. Maybe I could scope out your car next time I pass through Balitimore" I always like stopping at Baltimore Coffee".
Thanks for understanding. I could try to summarize it all in a few paragraphs but I doubt it would be very helpful. Once you understand how a modern OBD2 engine management syestem works (closed/open loop) you can then envision how the various piggyback EMU's will work within those confines. Of course, as I found out the hard way, although the AEM FIC will appear to be the ultimate solution, various design and QC issues with the FIC render it less useful than the stated capabilities might lead one to believe it is.

I'd not only like to meet you when you visit Baltimore again but I'd gladly let you drive my XB. Unfortunately, despite living in B'More, I've never been to or heard of "Baltimore Coffee". I do like coffee though so I imagine the meeting could be mutually beneficial. Feel free to PM me.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you thought of using the aftermarket intake that world motorsports carries in support of your turbo or would there not be enough benifit to justify the cost?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm impressed. I love that auto transmission build. It's nice to see automatic transmission builds. :D

Couple questions for you if you don't mind...

1. Was there a reason you went with LevelTen over IPT?
2. Was it just te torque converter that you upgraded? Or did you also get the valve body done?
3. How much did LevelTen say the transmission will hold now?
4. Are you running your transmission cooler in series with the radiator or did you completely bypass the radiator?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 PM
SL Member

1. Was there a reason you went with LevelTen over IPT? They have been doing the valve bodies on the 2az longer than anyone else, and the 30 years in the business.

2. Was it just te torque converter that you upgraded? Or did you also get the valve body done? Everything was completely rebuilt including torque conv. and Valve Body
3. How much did LevelTen say the transmission will hold now? 500WHP
4. Are you running your transmission cooler in series with the radiator or did you completely bypass the radiator? I bypassed because the radiator was actually heating up the tranny too much. I have a 15,000 btu tranny and it holds pretty good under high boost.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM
SL Member

Have you thought of using the aftermarket intake that world motorsports carries in support of your turbo or would there not be enough benifit to justify the cost?
No i may look into it if we have issues with the trd cai.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
No i may look into it if we have issues with the trd cai.

is he talking about the intake mani? not the cold air intake?.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by r2d2michael
is he talking about the intake mani? not the cold air intake?.
Whoops ok if thats the case, yes i was looking at the Weapon R. However dont know why i would spend the money if i can make 400 WHP on under 20PSI which should be pretty easy with the build i have. If i did that could make 400 at 15 16 psi but maybe if i feel like spending more lol.

Website is up btw
http://www.thumpbox.org
Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The way I see it, the more HP you can make at lower pressures, the better. running 20 psi of boost puts A LOT of strain on all the internals of your engine, and yeah your build can handle it, but I don't see why you would put more strain on your engine than you need to.

I'm not telling you how you should build your engine, by any means, just saying what I would do! And I would totally run the cone air filter and the intake manifold (partially cuz I think my stock air box is MIA).
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM
SL Member

The way I see it, the more HP you can make at lower pressures, the better. running 20 psi of boost puts A LOT of strain on all the internals of your engine, and yeah your build can handle it, but I don't see why you would put more strain on your engine than you need to.

I'm not telling you how you should build your engine, by any means, just saying what I would do! And I would totally run the cone air filter and the intake manifold (partially cuz I think my stock air box is MIA).
you speak the truth i knjow, which is why i probably will. ATM i have enough money into it lol.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's fair. Haha. Those intake manifolds are pricey...
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
How's that Unichip tune coming along? Did the SSE help?
Yes, the unichip is not as stout as i first thought =/ Injector size completely fked up my car burned out a vvti controller. If you changed injector size at all it would force the car to go into open loop and closed loop as fast as a camera's flash could repeat. It was going open loop closed loop open loop closed loop open loop you get the idea. Made making fuel maps impossible computer learned whatever it wanted to. IF you have unichip DONT CHANGE INJECTOR SIZE!

been looking into the aem ems2 stand alone as an option. Almost to the fed up point fred hehe.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I'm sorry to hear that the Unichip isn't working out better. I'm a little unclear as to what you mean about "injector size". Do you mean the physical injector size or a setting in the Unichip?

I hate to say it but IMO a standalone is definitely your best option. Although there are plenty of boosted TCs making 400whp with the FIC or Emanage Ultimate. IMO the best piggyback option for the XB is the EMU with the SSE handling CL enrichment. Anyway, best of luck to you.
Yes injector size in the unichip (software side)

yah will take some time to get all the kinks worked out.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you go to a stand alone you may need a stand alone transmission controller. Someone one here had a built tranny and needed the controller to get it to shift right. Did the place you got your tranny ever tell you about possibly needing one?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
1. Was there a reason you went with LevelTen over IPT? They have been doing the valve bodies on the 2az longer than anyone else, and the 30 years in the business.

2. Was it just te torque converter that you upgraded? Or did you also get the valve body done? Everything was completely rebuilt including torque conv. and Valve Body
3. How much did LevelTen say the transmission will hold now? 500WHP
4. Are you running your transmission cooler in series with the radiator or did you completely bypass the radiator? I bypassed because the radiator was actually heating up the tranny too much. I have a 15,000 btu tranny and it holds pretty good under high boost.

Nice dude. That is really good information. I'll throw that in my auto transmission buildup guide when I get the chance.

Second... thanks for answering question number 4. I've been kindo of stuck on which transmission oil cooler to install. I currently have 2. One is the 29,000 btu from B&M and the other one is 20,000 (I think...). But the point is moot anyways as I am living in my university apartment and I don't even have the space/tools to change my own oil. ha ha

Also... I competely didn't think that the radiator heated up the transmission fluid. I guess I just kind of assumed that it would cool the fluid to some extent.

In that case, would it be better just to bypass the radiator as "stage 1" and then transmission oil cooler as "stage 2"?

Last edited by wlfpck; 04-26-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!