Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much did that built auto end up costing(just curious for comparison's sake with my 5 spd swap)? Doesn't appear to have any issues at all, are you running a cooler?

Looks and sounds GREAT!!! Congrats!!! Hope to see some time slips soon :D

Last edited by Roller_Toaster; 03-21-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM
SL Member

Thank you! Yes running a 15000 btu tranny cooler, Big Boy. It was 3500 obo yes more than a swap but i still dont have to shift in traffic lol and i lose no boost i love it.

tranny got a max of 200f after 2 hrs of hard tuning / pulling. Doing a lot better than i expected.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it's running perfectly :D

Where's the videos of you at the track!?!

Edit: hopefully we can get a few boosted xb's at the dragon meet this year!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Awesome! I'm glad to hear that it's running perfectly :D

Where's the videos of you at the track!?!

Edit: hopefully we can get a few boosted xb's at the dragon meet this year!

Track video coming as soon as we get all the fuel / timing worked out pretty close to perfect.

Also what is this dragon meet you speak of! ?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:07 AM
SL Member

well Fred, i hate to say it but i will let you know soon about the unichip Manuals have no issues as their shift points along with everything else in regards to tranny is covered through the ecu. That being said we are having big issues with fighting the stock cpu LFT fuel +- Levels. We will be talking to an engineer from unichip soon on how to work this out. Unichip does not have closed throttle tuning unlike the aem fic.

For over a week we have been trying to tune around it, clamp maf, we have tried many different things with nothing working. The ecu always adjust and after 20 or so miles everything gets lean again and the only way to get ur power and a/f ratios back is to reset the computer (aka ef i fuse or negative or pull the small plug on the ecu) Either of those will clear your long fuel trim. Just thought i would share my findings.

Could be a deal breaker for us autos my friend. Will keep you updated.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the Unichip is working okay for your open loop tuning (and it should) you may want to consider adding a Split Second Enricher or URD AFR sensor calibrator for closed loop AFR tuning. Both are capable of modifying the oem wideband AFR sensor to trick the ECU into adding extra fuel in closed loop just as the FIC does. The URD version is programmable in multiple steps like the FIC and the SSE is more of a 1 step enricher. I'm running the SSE and it works beautifully. I have mine adjusted to kick in at ~1 psi of boost and enrich the AFR to ~12.3:1. With the URD version you could have multiple AFR settings but I've found the SSE's 1 step enrichment to work very well. Basically in vacuum I'm running 14.7:1 managed by the ECU. As soon as boost hits the SSE triggers and the ECU now commands 12.3:1. When the ECU enters open loop I get 11.5:1.

One of the TC guys is also running the SSE with the Greddy Emanage Ultimate since the GEMU also lacks any sustainable closed loop tuning. He loves it too. If you have any questions you'd like to talk about in more detail, PM me and I'll give you my phone number.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you are having a fueling problem then I take it. Did the turbo setup you have not come with anything for tunning it or is because of the overall combo of the auto transmission and the turbo.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by horsefeathers
So you are having a fueling problem then I take it. Did the turbo setup you have not come with anything for tunning it or is because of the overall combo of the auto transmission and the turbo.
You must have missed the four mentions of his Unichip in the previous two posts and the fact that the Unichip can't tune closed loop. The trans has nothing to do with it. The only way to tune closed loop is to modify the AFR sensor signal so that the ECU thinks the AFR is lean and adds more fuel making the AFR richer than the targeted stoichiometric 14.7:1 AFR of gasoline.

Here's a good read: http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf
Old 03-27-2012, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
You must have missed the four mentions of his Unichip in the previous two posts and the fact that the Unichip can't tune closed loop. The trans has nothing to do with it. The only way to tune closed loop is to modify the AFR sensor signal so that the ECU thinks the AFR is lean and adds more fuel making the AFR richer than the targeted stoichiometric 14.7:1 AFR of gasoline.

No I didn't miss the mention of the unichip at all. I was simply curious what fuel management setup up came with the turbo kit he has and why there is a fuel mangement issue with it. I am really new at tuning any import and I am simply trying to sort out in my mind the issues at hand so I don't have the same ones down the road. If the unichip only tunes open loop what is being tuned with it? Also I only mentioned the transmission because shifting points were mentioned and that it could be a deal breaker for us autos my friend.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:53 PM
SL Member

Exactly, which removing the front 02 put it into open loop and no longer does fuel trims* essentially lying to the stock computer that its always seeing 14.7 no matter what im running. The problem with that being is it seems to be reverting back to an orig state and still leans its self out after a certain point. PM coming fred! need your brain hehe.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 PM
SL Member

No I didn't miss the mention of the unichip at all. I was simply curious what fuel management setup up came with the turbo kit he has and why there is a fuel mangement issue with it. I am really new at tuning any import and I am simply trying to sort out in my mind the issues at hand so I don't have the same ones down the road. If the unichip only tunes open loop what is being tuned with it? Also I only mentioned the transmission because shifting points were mentioned and that it could be a deal breaker for us autos my friend.

Yes the unichip came with the turbo setup, A friend of mine (owner of Fastscions.com) Is running the same setup on a manual without issues at all. However manual / auto are two different beasts by the fact that all shift points etc are handled through the ecu, lets just say it does a lot more than the manual. Not saying that is the reason, plus he does not have the cams so that could play a part it me needing more fuel.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2695/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2696/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2697/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111536/article.html

IMO there are 3 ways to boost your car:

1) Learn everything you need to know and DIY
2) Buy a proven kit and pay a proven tuner to install and tune it for you
3) DIY without #1 and fail

I apoligize for not having time to explain how modern engine management systems work and which piggybacks do what and how well but if you look at the volume of information contained in the 5 articles I've linked to I think you'll understand. As for the Unichip, it lacks a wideband O2/AFR sensor signal modifier which is why it can't tune closed loop. The linked articles explain everything else.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
Exactly, which removing the front 02 put it into open loop and no longer does fuel trims* essentially lying to the stock computer that its always seeing 14.7 no matter what im running. The problem with that being is it seems to be reverting back to an orig state and still leans its self out after a certain point. PM coming fred! need your brain hehe.
A number of TC guys have successfully tuned their cars with the primary AFR sensor removed. I believe it is possible but then you end up with a static tune that can't adjust to altitude, temp, etc. Far from ideal IMO.

It was good talking to you last night Dustin and I hope the SSE does the trick for you. Looking forward to some good news.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 AM
SL Member

Everyone loves pics

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070843990.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070859821.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070878745.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070897489.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070913059.jpg  

Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 AM
SL Member

More pics

Attached Thumbnails Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070949969.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070964424.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333070982190.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333071003340.jpg   Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333071021345.jpg  

Old 03-30-2012, 01:31 AM
SL Member

Attached Thumbnails Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!-uploadfromtaptalk1333071110471.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2695/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2696/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2697/article.html

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_111536/article.html

IMO there are 3 ways to boost your car:

1) Learn everything you need to know and DIY
2) Buy a proven kit and pay a proven tuner to install and tune it for you
3) DIY without #1 and fail

I apoligize for not having time to explain how modern engine management systems work and which piggybacks do what and how well but if you look at the volume of information contained in the 5 articles I've linked to I think you'll understand. As for the Unichip, it lacks a wideband O2/AFR sensor signal modifier which is why it can't tune closed loop. The linked articles explain everything else.
Thanks alot Fred I will look these over these articles soon. Maybe I could scope out your car next time I pass through Balitimore" I always like stopping at Baltimore Coffee".
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amazing car you have set the bar high!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThatGuyAtGeweke
More pics

why do you still have the trd box in and why are you still running uni-chip. nice build
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spoke to Fred about help with going F/I without a rebuilt tranny 4 months or so ago. I seriously can't wait to. I'm in the process of acquiring parts for my built exhaust and hopefully can have that done in the next few weeks (possibly with a center exit), then I just have to work hard over the summer to get the cash I need for the turbo. I would love to have my box running how yours is. Hopefully in a few years!

Another quick note, I know I saw an AWD swap on an xB. Have you considered doing something along that route for your box? You've completely rebuilt your engine, why not your drivetrain? You would lose some power due to the extra weight of your drivetrain, but it would be interesting to see. Kinda my dream, personally.

Quick Reply: Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!