Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Recommended maintenance on 08 XB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Recommended maintenance on 08 XB?

My 08 XB is closing in on 40,000 miles ( I know not much) but its been mostly city miles so those are a bit worse on the car. Twice now I have felt my car kind of idle funny like it wanted to lag or die after coming to a stop at either a stop light or stop sign. Curious what things I should look into for a tune up. Thinking plugs and fuel filter possibly? It hasn't had anything done to it other than the basic oil changes. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our 09 xb has about 47K miles on it and it does the same thing. I've looked at the plugs and it isn't that - but it is something worth checking. Fuel filter no.
It's most likely a small amount of carbon buildup in the idle air circuit blocking the tiny amount of air let into the engine at idle. Most cars have one of these, it is designed to precisely meter the air going to the engine while the throttle plate is closed.
It's a little hard to get to at the back of the engine (follow the air intake tube) and if you get tired of shifting to neutral lights, it might be worth trying to clean this out.

Note to self: Do a video on this topic - until then here's some fix examples
Old 02-25-2017, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I heard from another thread that 08+ on the xb don't have that little hole for the icu valve cleaning and the air is controlled by the computer.