Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Throttle Body Spacer, Read All before post

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:25 PM
SKI
SL Member

Default Throttle Body Spacer, Read All before post

I have read all the post up here on throttle body spacers. I do not want to start a discussion or fight about if they work or not. My question is i have a AEM full cold air intake. I am wondering about the installation part. Will the intake still bolt up to the mounting point down by the fender wheel well area. Also did anyone have to buy a new throttle body gasket before install? I have heard no issues out of short rams, but full intakes i have heard mixed reviews. Any info would be welcomed.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 AM

There's plenty of room for adjustment in the silicone hose fittings so I imagine you'd have no issues. I've got the AEM but not a TB spacer.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 PM
SKI
SL Member

It fits fine with the AEM intake
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

How are you liking it?
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
SKI
SL Member

I like it, it does make a whistle noise, hard to hear it over my exhaust. It may have given a little more pep. But I have enough bolt on's it is hard to tell.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't believe in the typical advertised TB spacer. However, I made my own smooth bore spacer (no whistle or other swirl claim) and I definitely believe in its contribution to my vehicle behavior (xB2). Depending on the specific power plant and air flow plumbing, spacer contribution is a possibility, but whether it actually delivers depends on the specific configuration and associated power plant. Make no assumptions concerning this, it depends entirely on the individual case.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pyroman131
^ In what way was your vehicle's behavior affected? I am interested in your impression.
Sorry for the long delay in responding to your inquiry. (Damn, well over a week ! Just not here often.) My smooth bore spacer (no whistle) provides a clearly noticeable increase in mid range torque with my xB2. The difference is noticed specifically on upward slopes. The yesteryear swirl design accomplishes nothing for our modern engines, merely adds turbulence which impedes air flow, not enhances it -- does nothing for modern port-injector fuel mixing.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I search but could not find a diy for a 2011 xb throttle body spacer. I just purchased the jet tb spacer and would like to install myself. Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i still have mine that i got from trev. so far no complaints!
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DJ_FroZone
i still have mine that i got from trev. so far no complaints!
Thanks dude ! I've checked mine a couple times and no sign of degradation. I still remain anti the typical commercial swirl designs, not intended for our modern engines. No way I'd remove mine, pleased to have it installed!

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-15-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, reviews are mixed and most positive reviews are from v8 and truck owners. I decided to give it a shot and see. I'll let you guys know what I think of it once installed. I'll try to install tomorrow.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by naresh
Yea, reviews are mixed and most positive reviews are from v8 and truck owners. I decided to give it a shot and see. I'll let you guys know what I think of it once installed. I'll try to install tomorrow.
There's a reason for the typical truck and V8 applications. They use either carburetor or otherwise centrally located injector fueling and the runners allow distance to assist the fuel to blend with the deliberately turbulent air. This can work well in those applications, but that's entirely different from our engines (and most other modern engines). Vortex or other air swirled designs are totally inappropriate for our engines. Injection is at the intake port, not a centrally located position.

I'm not saying you'll see no benefit (though not really expecting much), but you'll likely lose relative ground due to the deliberately introduced air turbulence, plus you'll be stuck with the annoying whistle associated with those swirl designs. Many truck owners like that (a turbo flavor?), but it's hardly a high performance attribute.

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-15-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks I appreciate the info. Do you mind if I pm you once in a while for advice on upgrades for my rs8 xb.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The whistling sound is something I'm definitely not interested in. I'm actually trying to get mine interior to be quieter. But I got a heart attack about 2 months ago. Recovery has been slow but great. So I can't work on the sound deadner part. I have all the deadner already.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks I appreciate the info. Do you mind if I pm you once in a while for advice on upgrades for my rs8 xb.
Congrats on your RS8, I surely hope you enjoy it (still appreciate my 2008 !) Unfortunately, I don't much frequent the board anymore (other distractions), still, I'll try to do better. My very best wishes and to be sure, PM is the best way to contact !

The whistling sound is something I'm definitely not interested in. I'm actually trying to get mine interior to be quieter. But I got a heart attack about 2 months ago. Recovery has been slow but great. So I can't work on the sound deadner part. I have all the deadner already.
God! Please be careful and try to protect your heart, heavily a dietary and exercise consideration as I understand. Nothing matters more than that (and your family) and many open themselves up to the issue without realization.

I disagree with the swirl spacer design for most modern cars, but it's what's reasonably available on the marketplace. I fashioned my own because I saw no better solution and was interested in the result. Your result will surely be no less interesting and I look forward to how it works out ! Take care of yourself dude!

Last edited by TrevorS; 03-15-2014 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't install yet. Soon tho
Old 03-25-2014, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll watch for your result!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it possible to take an aftermarket TB spacer and have it bored smooth? Or better to just have one made by a machine shop? I would like to see a mild bump in midrange power. There are plenty of hills here, it doesn't struggle but I also have an INJEN CAI, and a flowmaster custom cat back exhaust. And looking in to doing custom scuba delete for in between smog checks.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer, Read All before post