Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

magnaflow hi flow cat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:37 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

Default magnaflow hi flow cat?

so i plan to replace our huge scuba tank with a magnaflow hi flow cat but i just had some questions

so iv heard ppl do this and they used 2 or more high flow cats
is there any benifit to more than one?
will it make it not as load but breath better?

and if i do replace it will there be an loss of back pressure or torque?

thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think there are several benifits to putting 2 or more hi flow cats in place of the scuba tank. one, it will keep the emissions down, possibly better than stock with 3 (1 or 2 if you're still running the stock exhaust manifold). 2, you'll get a more aggressive exhaust note without it being stupid loud, ricey and calling attention from the po-po's. and C, (hope people caught that) you'll be taking some restriction from the exhaust flow, which in turn will help the engine breath better, boost economy and also cut back on emissions. plus you won't have that stupid tank under the car anymore. i'm running a header (strup baby) which removed the primary cat. its helped my mileage quite a bit, but i don't like the fact that some of the emission system has been removed. this summer, i plan to put 2-3 cats in place of the scuba to help flow, sound and help so my part with the global warming conspiracy (no one take offense, please!!) the only problem with removing any emission system is that a lot of shops don't like to do it if the car has less than 50,000mi on it. in most states its illegal to alter or change the cats prior to that. it can be done, and many have. it all comes down to personal choice. i say do it, but thats just me.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

um cats kill power bad i would just run one cat
Old 05-04-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Your 'scuba tank' is not a cat. That is a muffler. Your cats are in your header (your headers dump directly into your first cat) and down around your mid pipe. Yes there are two already on your exhaust from the factory.

Cats are full of fiberglass that help aid in emissions and DO NOT aid in power. Also cats won't give you a nice sound like whitebreadbox is speaking of.

If you want to free up your exhaust, I suggest changing out your 'scuba tank' with a straight through exhaust muffler (something like a dynomax or magnaflow) and completely removing the resontator in the axel back or replacing it with a higher flow resonator/glasspack.

The choice is yours, but adding cats to your exhaust is probably the worst thing you can do to your exhaust. I suggest keeping your exhaust tubing the same diameter to help aid in bottem end torque along with the free flowing mufflers, cats and resonators. That will give you a nice setup for a much cheaper price than that of a full exhaust system from online.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey i have more exhaust work done to my car then any one here inside of that scuba tank there is a cat out car has 2 cats one in the resonator and one in the header trust me i know this i was the first person to hack off my resonator we dont need to go there lol i have my stock resonator sitting in my garage there is a cat core in it
Old 05-04-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg becky look at her but
Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and by the way cats are made with ceramic metal composite
Old 05-04-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when ppl say silencer do that refer to a cat? also whats the difference between cat and a resonator?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Cory, I assure you that just because you have "the most done to your exhaust" that doesnt make you more knowlegable than me. I assure YOU that that big scuba tank in the middle of the car is not a resonator. It is a muffler. The cylinder shaped item towards the rear is a resonator. I have yet to take a look at our cats, but I doubt Toyota would put a cat inside of a muffler. I will have to disagree with you until I look for myself.

I understand you think that because you have more exhaust work done, you know more, but that is not necessarily the case.

Oh ad by the way, they are not made of ceramic metal composite. That is a double negative. Ceramic is a clay like substance, while metal is...well a metal. A cat is made of more or less fiberglass. I have gutted many of cat in my 19 years of age and I assure you its fiberglass.

A silencer is a resonator. Usually a silencer has perforated holes along the walls of the pipe and a straight through design.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

sorry mr sizzource

i took my car in to Midas to have straight pipe put in place of scuba tank

they called it a Resonator
but couldn't take it off because there is a cat in it
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

sorry mr sizzource

i took my car in to Midas to have straight pipe put in place of scuba tank

they called it a Resonator
but couldn't take it off because there is a cat in it
Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. would it be a good idea just replacing the scuba tank with a one hi flow silencer and delete the 2nd one by the muffler?

2. replace the scuba with a straight through muffler also delete 2nd cat?

3. which one will be the loudest setup?

4. which setup would have a higher flow?

i was thinking of replacing the whole piping and leave it w/ a stock muffler for now just wanna see how loud would this be.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks sp2 there is a cat in the mid car resonator and there is a cat in it do i need to say it again there is a cat in the mid car resonator also a cat is made up of

" The term Catalytic Converter covers the stainless steel box mounted in the exhaust system. Inside the cover is the catalyst, a ceramic or metallic base with an active coating incorporating alumina, ceria and other oxides and combinations of the precious metals platinum, palladium and rhodium. The base can be protected from vibration and shock by a resilient ceramic or metallic 'mat'"

your 19 calm down its ok you will be ok get over the fact you just got owned and it will be ok

and daily i had a strup header replaced my resonator with a high flow cat and 2.5 inch pipe and had the trd axle back here is what it sounded like at each step

first stock with no resonator just a high flow cat and trd axle back
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sp17pP1mM6c

now this is same set up with a strup header on

http://youtube.com/watch?v=l_2dd4PLqOw

i sold the strup header to go with a turbo set up i will be running a straight through 3 inch no muffler no cat unless its god awful loud then i will throw on a glass pack
Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
Your 'scuba tank' is not a cat. That is a muffler. Your cats are in your header (your headers dump directly into your first cat) and down around your mid pipe. Yes there are two already on your exhaust from the factory.

Cats are full of fiberglass that help aid in emissions and DO NOT aid in power. Also cats won't give you a nice sound like whitebreadbox is speaking of.

If you want to free up your exhaust, I suggest changing out your 'scuba tank' with a straight through exhaust muffler (something like a dynomax or magnaflow) and completely removing the resontator in the axel back or replacing it with a higher flow resonator/glasspack.

The choice is yours, but adding cats to your exhaust is probably the worst thing you can do to your exhaust. I suggest keeping your exhaust tubing the same diameter to help aid in bottem end torque along with the free flowing mufflers, cats and resonators. That will give you a nice setup for a much cheaper price than that of a full exhaust system from online.
WOW, i've never heard anything so wrong in my whole entire life... and i've got a few on you bud. the scuba tank is a 3 way cat. it has a catalytic converter and a resonator in one giant package. and a cat having fiberglass in it. HA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter and read the technical details. and by removing the 3 way cat/resonator and putting in a high flow (the ones without the fiberglass packing) cat will infact produce more sound and better power. do some homework and research before throwing out info like you've just done.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks whitebread lol i didnt want to get to tech with him
Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SiZzOuRcE
Cory, I assure you that just because you have "the most done to your exhaust" that doesnt make you more knowlegable than me. I assure YOU that that big scuba tank in the middle of the car is not a resonator. It is a muffler. The cylinder shaped item towards the rear is a resonator. I have yet to take a look at our cats, but I doubt Toyota would put a cat inside of a muffler. I will have to disagree with you until I look for myself.

I understand you think that because you have more exhaust work done, you know more, but that is not necessarily the case.

Oh ad by the way, they are not made of ceramic metal composite. That is a double negative. Ceramic is a clay like substance, while metal is...well a metal. A cat is made of more or less fiberglass. I have gutted many of cat in my 19 years of age and I assure you its fiberglass.

A silencer is a resonator. Usually a silencer has perforated holes along the walls of the pipe and a straight through design.

WOW cory, sometimes ignorance is bliss. sometimes it makes you want to punch babies. in this case, i'm just laughing at this 19 know it all. its ok though, we know the truth. i just pray this guy never gets a job as a mechanic!!! fiberglass in a cat... HAHA
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol mufflers have glass in them lol its ok i think i was the first to start hacking things off my car lol
Old 05-04-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
lol mufflers have glass in them lol its ok i think i was the first to start hacking things off my car lol
yes, you probably were.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i member i get done with the sawsall and take a look down it and say F*(*&^* that sucks lol
Old 05-05-2008, 12:51 AM
sp2
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

haha
wow
look what i started?
i think ima go with 2 hi flow cats
cuz i got the borla dual and has no muffler
and gunna get the weaponr headers when they come out