Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

White Filter/Screen In Top Half of the Airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default White Filter/Screen In Top Half of the Airbox?

Does anyone know what the white screen/filter thing is in the top half of the airbox? I put my K&N drop in and saw that at the top.

Since it's removed with a CAI anyway, I figure the airbox could do without it also. I'm thinking about taking it out and adding that to my free intake improvement post. Just wondering what the hell it is.

Mike
Old 08-24-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not 100% positive but I believe that extra white mesh filter (charcoal?) in the airbox is to prevent the escape of unburnt fuel vapor into the atmosphere through the airbox. I have no idea how restrictive it is.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:51 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

^^ correct.. it is a charcoal filter.

it doesn't really hinder airflow as much as most people expect.. but it's main purpose is for emissions.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks guys. I searched and found a lot of threads from the tC forum about it. Everyone said the same, that it's for emissions. I don't have to worry about emissions here (WV). Plus, one would have to look inside the airbox to know it's not there.

So I decided to take it out of mine. It actually seems to accelerate a little smoother now. That could just be in my head though. But with the hose to the air box moved down to the bumper and the charcoal filter removed up top, it's a nice little free improvement with the stock intake setup.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW, I just wanted to give you props for your CAI airbox mod and write-up. I think it's a great cheap mod. I did something similar to my Dodge Dakota by removing the airbox snorkel and replacing it with a 4" flexible duct that ran right behind the grill for a semi-ram-air setup.

The first mod I did to my XB was remove that air intake hose completely. It actually improves the air intake position a little bit (lower) and sounded good. I never thought about running it to the grille but like your idea.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks man. I think removing this charcoal filter and re-routing that hose to the bottom then adding an aftermarket drop-in filter is probably the best one can do if they don't want the added noise of a CAI (although I love the sound).

Plus it's stealth, so if someone is in a hardcore emissions state, it's not gonna stand out like a CAI. That and it's free other than buying a drop-in filter (~$40).