Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Other Supercharger Thread (non-TRD)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Other Supercharger Thread (non-TRD)

Since Paul has put up his supercharger build thread I figured I would put mine up as well.

At the heart of it we are using the same basic S/C, an Eaton M62, but are going about it quite differently so we will have very different builds.

I'm designing all of this around the Eaton M62 off of a Nissan Frontier. This is a newer Gen 4 unit with the by-pass built into the S/C housing. I wanted this build to look as stock as possible and to that end discovered after a little searching and poking around that there is actually a fair amount of room on the back of the 2AZ-FE engine in our cars. Once the intake manifold is removed there is plenty of room to fir the S/C back there. Even better, since the 2nd gen xB uses an electric power steering pump, there is an idler pulley in place of where the usual power steering pump sits on other versions of this engine.

Super charger bolted up to the stock power steering pump location on the right and supported on the left.
Name:  0304152158_zpsaonahv0l.jpg
Views: 19087
Size:  88.8 KB

The great advantage to this is that the S/C pulley lines up almost exactly where the idler pulley was.
Name:  0304152157_zpsykpi5swm.jpg
Views: 18912
Size:  44.0 KB

This will let me use a stock sized belt, so no searching for a belt that fit and is 7-rib. And that presented it own problem. The stock pulley system on the xB uses a 7-rib setup. The pulley on the S/C has a 6-rib design. Now I could have run a 6-rib belt and called it a day but I don't like to do things like that. After a few e-mails I found a guy, Nate, at Smoothflow Supercharger Pulley who was willing to make a new modular pulley system for me with a factory diameter pulley but with 7-ribs. There is also a great advantage in doing the modular pulley design because it means if I decide later that I want more boost I just need to remove 5 Allen bolts to change the pulley. Not un-mount the whole S/C to have the pulley removed.

New Aluminum pulley.
Name:  0423151122_zpsmiqttfzr.jpg
Views: 19237
Size:  211.9 KB

And the Allen bolts to swap it.
Name:  0423151122a_zpsg89v4nwq.jpg
Views: 19200
Size:  260.5 KB

Now the downside to mounting the S/C on the back of the engine is that it will not fit there with the stock intake. Also with the pulley size on the S/C it'll be putting out about 9 psi of boost. Creating way more heat than the engine can handle. This means that I need to fabricate a new intake manifold and incorporate a form of intercooling as well. There is not enough room for the new intake manifold and all the piping needed for an air-to-air intercooler so that means the intercooler will be air-to-water. After spending some time via email with one of the techs at Bell Engineering the two heat exchanger sizes needed where determined and once the intake manifold is built it will incorporate on the top side a mount to the head, intake runners, and velocity stacks. While on the bottom end it will integrate the water side heat exchanger of the intercooler and mounting flange for the S/C charger while leaving a path for the bypass valves air flow to go around the intercooler in idle and low rpm operation.

Water side heat exchanger.
Name:  0223151246_zps5jrldcsl.jpg
Views: 18990
Size:  90.2 KB

Aluminum intake flange, oval runner stock, and oval velocity stacks.
Name:  0513151415_zpscvwvtcer.jpg
Views: 19165
Size:  776.5 KB

There is still a lot of other stuff to deal with like extra fuel, engine management, power handling, and the such. To these ends I have upgraded 550cc fuel injectors to replace the stock 320cc units. The clutch has already swapped for a TRD unit that is designed for the added power level. I'll be using and AEM F/IC piggyback controller. The cylinders will be bored to 89mm and honed, both intake and exhaust paths will be ported and polished in the head, the cams are being swapped in favor of a set of Brian Crower Stage II unit with matching valve springs and retainers. And Wiseco pistons with Molner rods will replace the stock pieces.

As the build progresses I'll be updating this thread. Enjoy.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:28 AM

I prefer the predictable horsepower and boost of a supercharger over a turbo and have been looking into where and how to go about installing one in my 13 XB. I have put in several Jackson systems into Honda products but sadly they don't play with Toyota. I love your posts. and chance of seeing the mounting arrangement and pump layout from different angles. BTW thank you for inspiring.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haven't done anything on this. Life keeps getting in the way and other projects.