Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2015 Back-up Camera Sound-Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2015 Back-up Camera Sound-Off

My 2015 Xb is my third Xb. I did not buy it for its back-up camera but I have to say that the camera is junk. The view provides no green/yellow/red grid overlay nor is it coupled to any proximity sensors in the rear bumper. It's just a camera that gives you a view so distorted that it's the equivalent of looking through a wide angle peep hole on your front door via the concave right side mirror. Yes, you can see something back there but the view is so distorted that I deem it more harmful than helpful. If I were a Toyota exec I'd be worried about a possible lawsuit in the future.

There are so many aspects about the Xb that I love but I hate it when Toyota/Scion takes a cheap and half-ash approach to things . . ., "Hey, it's 2015. We have to do something different from the 2014 model. Let's put a piece of sxxt back-up camera on it and raise the price of the car a bit."

I'm posting this because I am hoping someone in the Toyota/Scion organization reads this feedback on the camera and puts it right on future models. And while they are at it, how about a six-speed transmission auto and manual?
Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 PM

I have a 14 XB with a Camera in it and its quality is totally fine, the lines being absent is a small draw back but otherwise it works perfectly fine and the picture quality is good. Not sure if you have a defective one or what, but it works well as a driving AID in combination with being attentive.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ravendarat
I have a 14 XB with a Camera in it and its quality is totally fine, the lines being absent is a small draw back but otherwise it works perfectly fine and the picture quality is good. Not sure if you have a defective one or what, but it works well as a driving AID in combination with being attentive.
I'm glad you are happy with yours. Mine is not defective, I do have a clear picture but without reference and distorted depth perception it's not much of an aid. I can I assure you I am attentive. And I have decades of driving experience (safely) without a camera so I can deal with it. But I own another brand of car with a back-up camera, with the grids, and coupled to a proximity sensor. That's the standard in my opinion. I remain disappointed with the Scion system.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to agree, the camera is crap but then I have never used any backup camera so I have not point of reference. I don't quite understand how I am supposed use the camera, the distance is horribly off. Even today, I could not even judge how far away from the curb while I was while parallel parking but the bottom right corner of the right mirror showed me just fine. I just glance at the camera to see if a kid is back there and then resort using all 3 mirrors like I have been doing for the last 30 years of my driving life. Personally, I feel backup cameras and parking sensors are making everyone worse drivers.

I have only had my 2015 Scion for a week, maybe over time I will get use to the camera.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

if you don't like having a Camera there.....you can always call the NHTSA....Govt mandated by 2018...Toyota has always been preemptive about mandates so the camera's were likely installed to avoid consumer outcries for safety..

The rule follows an outcry from consumer groups and by families touched by tragic back-over accidents, especially those involving children. They have pushed hard against more delays in the rule.

"We are committed to protecting the most vulnerable victims of back-over accidents — our children and seniors," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement.
Under the rule, all vehicles would have to give the driver a view 10-foot by 20-foot zone directly behind the vehicle. There are also requirements for image size and other factors that all but require rear-view cameras as the only solution that complies.
Congress passed a law ordering the DOT to have a rule in place by 2011 to require cameras or other backup warning devices on all new cars and light trucks. The original goal was for them to be required on all light vehicles by the 2014 model year, however, there have been multiple delays over the details.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:37 PM

I agree it is not on par with my dad's challenger back up cam, but if you utilize it as an aid to driving and not your soul source in how well you park, I think it's a nice little tool to have. I simply look at the back of my bumper to see how much room I have left. I don't use it to parallel park and judge how far I am from the curb, I use the years of driving experience as well as the side mirrors.

I was just thinking to myself last night that the more I drive and use the camera as a tool, the more I'll be able to judge how close I can get without backing into anyone.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member

Back up camera was ok but I've backed up without one for over 50 yrs.... didn't really need it.... Didn't like the touchscreen head unit so I went to a 2013/2014 head unit.
2015 one is for sale...
Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nhel
Back up camera was ok but I've backed up without one for over 50 yrs.... didn't really need it.... Didn't like the touchscreen head unit so I went to a 2013/2014 head unit.
2015 one is for sale...
I always wanted to update my head unit. How much are you selling yours?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default Head uhit

Selling for $125 plus shipping...... 303-919-0359 or nhel13@hotmail