Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Another question for AVIC-D3 Owners

Old 07-06-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another question for AVIC-D3 Owners

I'm thinking about installing the deck myself. Its been a while since i did my own deck install and was curious if anyone could tell me if the crutchfield harness is a complete harness.
Is it a simple plug in, place the antennae for the nav, and go deal? Or am i going to have to fiddle with some wires.
Also, are there any cheaper places to pick one up? Looking for a reliable seller, not really interested in ebay either. I can't find him now, but there was a seller on that posted on scionlife a while back that was shipping them with a harness for a great deal. If he's still doing so, has anyone used his harness? Was there any "extras" involved in the install for the speed wire, parking break wire, etc?

What about 2008 xB Steering wheel controls, do we lose them or is there an adapter out yet?

Thanks in advance! These are all questions i couldn't locate with search :\
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

The deck is easy to install on your own. I'm not sure if the Crutchfield harness is similar to the Metra harness I used, but I'm sure it's very close. I know that wiring codes have to be the same for all harnesses. Just match the colors.

Plug and play? Not THAT easy, but not that difficult. Well, you have to find the speed sense wire and the reverse wire and use the D3's supplied wires to tap into them. Also, if you're not bypassing the unit, you'll have to find the parking brake wire (I bypassed mine in my tC, so I'm not really sure how to do it correctly )

As for sellers, I bought mine from Scionizer07 here on SL. I sent him a PM and he got me a good price on the D3, a Metra dash fill-in kit (for the tC) and a wiring harness.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Another question for AVIC-D3 Owners

If the Crutchfield harness is similar to the Metra, which should be the same for all late model Toyotas, then it won't be a problem.

I suggest spending an hour when you receive it to solder the harness wires to the D3's wires. Use heat shrink insulation if you can. The Crutchfield one will probably have the color codes listed for the wires. Simply match these with the wires on the D3. If the Crutchfield has two wires for illumination, use the one that is Orange/White. This should be the correct polarity or the Scion. The other one would will not be used.

I assume you'll be doing the bypass for the D3, so routing the parking brake sensor shouldn't be an issue for you.

The VSS (speed sense) wire is the purple one located on the same factory wiring harness as the steering wheel control wires. The reverse signal is located under the dash on the left of the steering wheel. Most wire locations can be found by following the factory navigation installation manual, which can be found at TRD Sparks. These instructions are 90% applicable to any aftermarket nav unit. Also read the End All sticky in the ICE forum.

This was all the information I needed to install the Z2 in my xB. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the information guys. I had read earlier about people trying to find the VSS wire and there was a bit of a debate on if they had located it or not.

Sounds like i'll be saving my self a few hundred bucks with a self install after all :D
Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
SL Member

But will the sterring wheel controls still be able to work with this or not?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Linx
But will the sterring wheel controls still be able to work with this or not?
Not without a converter like the PAC SWI-PS unit. The Pioneer units (at least for the Z2) has a miniplug for a remote control extension. The PAC unit plugs into that and you'll need to connect a few wires (as well as an inline resistor) to the Scion wire harness to install it.