Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Door circuit

Old 09-03-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Door circuit

Hello!

Can any one tell me if the xB2 door circuit is the same as the Gen1? I've read about the door lock control potential expense/disasters in the Gen1 if wired incorrectly. I'm interested in wiring CCFL's to operate when any door is opened. Has anyone done this successfully in a xB2?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you said "interested in wiring CCFL's "
I am sorry for being ignorant... & I have though about it alot.. BUT what is a CCFL??
thanks.. jh
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

cold cathodes

more so CCFL = cold cathode fluorescent lamp
Old 09-04-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks squallheart/// I see now....
well I am gonna take a good guess a this question...
I have MYSELF installed the illuminated door sills in my xb2. & they come on when the doors are opened... No problems thus far..
I even went as far a switched out my dome light with 4 LEDS on a seperate board.. & they all come on along with the doors opening & closeing...... I dont see any reason why CCFL's would be any different...
You just got to figure out where to wire them to.... be kinda hard to find where the dome light wires appear under the dash... If you had the illuminted door sills aready.. you could just 'tap' into those wires. hey wait.......
I could take a pic of where mine are 'tapped' into in the passanger side.... then you could use those power points.. IF YOU DARE!! lol.
lemme know... & I'll snap a pic if you need one......
I already thew away the instructions......sorry.. jh..
Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
I have MYSELF installed the illuminated door sills in my xb2. & they come on when the doors are opened...
Hi mimmbomb:

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the installation instructions at:

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PTS21-52080inst.pdf

After gandering at them (and I have to admit that I'm an electrical novice) I was (perhaps incorrectly) under the impression that the driver sill only goes on when the driver's door opens, etc.. Can you verify that any door switch will light up the sills? (You will have to manually press/shut the door switch for the sill you're viewing.)

I even went as far a switched out my dome light with 4 LEDS on a seperate board.. & they all come on along with the doors opening & closeing...... I dont see any reason why CCFL's would be any different...
I was thinking along the same lines that tapping into the dome light would be the simplest way to go, but from reading the gen1 guys' experiences, the dimmer/door lock control causes problems with CCFL ballasts (low voltage makes them buzz)--which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

It seems the solution is to tap into the circuit before the door lock control, but I'm not sure at this point where exactly that unit is located on the gen2.

You just got to figure out where to wire them to.... be kinda hard to find where the dome light wires appear under the dash... If you had the illuminted door sills aready.. you could just 'tap' into those wires. hey wait.......
I could take a pic of where mine are 'tapped' into in the passanger side.... then you could use those power points.. IF YOU DARE!! lol.
lemme know... & I'll snap a pic if you need one......
That's extremely kind of you. Thank you. But I think if you can verify that all individual doors operate all sills, I can do as you suggest and tap into the sill connections.

Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK I had to wait till dark to do your test..
The lights operate independatly to each door...
With both door open.. both lights are on...
By pressing one of the door close switchs..... that light went off while the 'other side' light stayed on with the door open..
Same for the other side... It went out when that button was pressed while the opposite side stayed on....
good luck figguring this one out.... jh

ps.. didnt do any of the rear doors. They stayed closed during this test.... sorry about that...
Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok bench2 I have come up with 2 different sceniors for you.
1) CCFL's come with 2 tubes per set right?? & they are in-expensive..
Soo you get 2 sets of them...
Set 1 install under-dash ,1 tube on each side of center & wire it to the drivers side door switch.. This way when that door is opened.. BOTH sides of your floorboards will light up!
Do the same for your second set.. One tube on each side of center..Wire it to the pasanger side switch.
When the passanger side is opened.. BOTH sides of the floorboards light up!
When BOTH DOORS are opened, the floorboards will light up really bright as all 4 tubes are now glowing... now onto second solution
2) Go with the more expensive LEDs..( strips or bundles) & wire them to your dome light..
They will work with the dome & dim & fade out when supposed to.
I changed out my dome to LEDs & they work perfectly..
see link..
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=191219

PLUS.. I noticed... then when i approached my car this morning & hit the 'un-lock' with the key fob remote.. the car un-locked AND... the blue dome lights came on as well!!.. I never noticed that before... pretty cool, I thought...
good luck... jh
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

OK I had to wait till dark to do your test..
The lights operate independatly to each door...
With both door open.. both lights are on...
By pressing one of the door close switchs..... that light went off while the 'other side' light stayed on with the door open..
Same for the other side... It went out when that button was pressed while the opposite side stayed on....
good luck figguring this one out.... jh
Thanks for the verification, jimmbomb. That's how I thought they'd behave based on the instructions.

ps.. didnt do any of the rear doors. They stayed closed during this test.... sorry about that...
No problem. I suspect they won't operate the fronts. Thanks again for taking the time to look for me.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:02 PM

Ok bench2 I have come up with 2 different sceniors for you.
Thanks for the suggestions, jimmbomb. But I think all I need is to locate the door lock control (DLC) and even better, get a wiring diagram. The Gen1 guys figured out how to bypass the dimmer for all 4 door operation. My suspicion is the Gen2 is wired similarly, but I'm hesitent to start fishing around blind because a new DLC costs $450 in the Gen1!

Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bench 2....So did you ever find the dome light wires UNDER your dash??
I am wanting to install foot well LED's under the dash & wire them to the dome light. Now I took apart the B-pillar & found NO wires running up to the roof.. So it's NOT there... Can you tell us which wires under the dash supply the dome light?? thanks.. jh
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 AM

So did you ever find the dome light wires UNDER your dash??
The kids started school this week, so I that project was put on the backburner.

I am wanting to install foot well LED's under the dash & wire them to the dome light. Now I took apart the B-pillar & found NO wires running up to the roof.. So it's NOT there... Can you tell us which wires under the dash supply the dome light??
Sorry, but I don't know. My efforts up to this point have been searching for the door lock control (if it exists on the Gen2) in the dash. In the Gen1 it's under the speedo. I haven't gotten around to removing the speedo to have a look yet. If I get it figured out (or if I blow out my DLC--God forbid!) , I'll post.

Best!
Ben
Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 AM

I too am trying to tap into the dome light wires for my puddle lights but I can't seem to find them.... anyone have any luck yet? I want my puds to fade on/fade off just as the dome light does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! A DIYWP would be priceless!
Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbyvonne
I too am trying to tap into the dome light wires for my puddle lights but I can't seem to find them.... anyone have any luck yet? I want my puds to fade on/fade off just as the dome light does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! A DIYWP would be priceless!
I found a few links the tell you how to do just that!! Can you show us what 'puddle lights' you choose?? I am this close to ordering some, but am still un-decided on which ones to get.. What ones are you getting???

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=117628

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122266

Good luck & please reply as to which puddle light set you are going with...
jh