Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Aftermarket Stereo

Hope this isn't a broken record topic, but I got my XB2 on 7/11, and have been loving it since. My question is electronic... My friend is a Pioneer dealer, and gets all for cost. I did not go with anything more than a base radio for my XB2. If I swap my base Pioneer CD player out for a more upgraded style from Pioneer, will my I-POD & AUX jacks still work, and will my wheel audio controls still work. Are they simply "Plug & Play" because I am going from Pioneer to Pioneer? Or will there be a need for adapters and wiring altertions? Or will it simply not work? If anyone has any input it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any input on 20 inch rims on the XB2. If there is any shaving, or extreme loss in turn radius, and what is the max. size tire you can put on the rims.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Radio:
Unless you change from the stock Pioneer to the stock upgraded radio you wont be able to to use the Aux/IPod or the steering wheel controls. When you change radios there are separate plugs for the aux/ipod that cant be plugged into an aftermarket radio. I think Eclipse makes a system in which you can use the steering wheel controls but I think thats it.

Rims:
Dont know about the turning radius (i dont think it should affect it) but it is do-able. I know there are a couple of people with them on.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are several with 20's, check the Wheel and Tire sub-forum. I have 18's on mine with a 40 profile tire and there is still plenty of room.

As far as the stereo, I second Whispaz post. Unless you were to get the Upgraded Scion OEM radio, you will loose the functionality of those hook-ups.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by techgeekwill
As far as the stereo, I second Whispaz post. Unless you were to get the Upgraded Scion OEM radio, you will loose the functionality of those hook-ups.
That's a bummer, that's why I got the stock radio so I could upgrade to a better aftermarket model AVIC - 3 since the upgrade model looked to not add much other than be able to add an amp, be nice if the steering wheel controls could work on the after market models!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is an aftermarket module that will allow you to retain the steering wheel control. I think its made by pac.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by golfbiz
That's a bummer, that's why I got the stock radio so I could upgrade to a better aftermarket model AVIC - 3 since the upgrade model looked to not add much other than be able to add an amp, be nice if the steering wheel controls could work on the after market models!

I could be wrong. The AVIC D3 may be compatible with those hookups. But it may require some funky wiring.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah pac makes a interface for the stering wheel controlls but the deck you get has to have a wireless remote.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whazup2488
yeah pac makes a interface for the stering wheel controlls but the deck you get has to have a wireless remote.
Not true. The AVIC-D3 that I used had a small input jack in the back.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Originally Posted by whazup2488
Not true. The AVIC-D3 that I used had a small input jack in the back.
Did the Ipod jack work with the input jack or just the steering wheel controls? thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think its just the steering wheel
Old 07-29-2007, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the D3 with steering wheel controls, iPod, bluetooth, nav, dvd and satellite only cost me $1300. While the iPod is not hooked into the stock connecter, I like that I can have my iPod hidden vs seen.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by golfbiz
The lack of a direct interface to the Scion stock iPod and Aux inputs shouldn't be a deal breaker for you, especially if you go with an AVIC head unit. The AVICs have a mini-jack interface for external remotes. The PAC SWI-PS (Steering Wheel Interface for Pioneer and Sony) is the one you need to keep the steering wheel controls of the Scion. You'll need to solder a resister (provided) and connect about 4 wires. Fairly simple actually. As for iPod and Auxilary inputs, if the AVIC model does not have it built in, you can purchase modules for it. I have the Z2 and bought the iPod interface. That, along with the built in AUX and AV inputs are better than the factory one, and you can place them in places better hidden than in plain sight -- the glove compartment, for example.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see, simple...... :D