Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Front Headrests - Visibility

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Front Headrests - Visibility

I'm sure we're all trying to cope with the lack of visibility on these new cars. So far, I removed all 3 rear seat headrests and that helps a lot. But the front seat headrests are much taller than they need to be. If I turn my head to look out the driver's side, I find myself looking at my headrest. In order to see out the back side, I have to push myself up far enough to look over the top of the headrest (and I'm not short - 5'11"). I figured that if the headrest were a couple inches shorter, visibility would be much better, yet the headrest would still protect my head. I tried driving without the headrest, and found visibility to be great but felt a little bit unsafe. My question is, would there be some way to get shorter headrests made for these cars? Just go to an upholstery shop? Or maybe the demand would be big enough to have a sponsor sell them? Toyota seems to be so focused on head protection, yet fails to understand that the ability to see is far more important. You can't rely solely on mirrors. Any information on getting shorter headrests would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't really experience any of these problems...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't really have those problems either, but I would guess an upholstery shop would be the best place to start. Any small shop should be able to just do your car without having to do tons of them.

Good luck and I hope it solves your visibility issues
Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed the same thing w/ the head rests. Particularly when i test drove. I turned around to look out the driver side and found the headrest staring me in the face.

I do wonder what Toyota is thinking when it comes to visibility. No windows in the last foot of the xB, and the tC's C pillars are not at all forgiving.