I bought an overhead console off of eBay that had a Homelink module so I could customize it for my 05 xB. Just wasn't a lot of good opportunity on that car but today during the xB2 disassembly, I found a great location for the module that I have.
This is what I started out with kinda. I removed just this module from the overhead console from a Kia Sedona.
This is the box that's underneath that gray plastic.
I trimmed most of the black plastic housing that was unneccessary. Then I worked on the center console to allow the unit to fit in the front of the center console, under the shifter. I drilled the holes below with a unibit. You have to be very precise so those rubber buttons will line up right.
This is the hole I made so that the module would fit. This is a view from the underside of the center console. Notice the tee nuts i put in.
This is the OEM piece without any cutting and what I had to work with
Those tee nuts are so that I could have the Homelink unit pressed against the wall of the center console. See the machine screws pressing against the back of the Homelink unit??? Not too tight or the buttons won't work!
This is what it looks like now from the side:
And this is the view from the top. Now you know where I put it???
The Homelink units just need power and ground. There was no constant 12v I could find in the center console so tomorrow I will just hook up 12v somewhere under the dash. That will be a cinch. The buttons can be pressed and they click like the originally did. It's a little tricky making sure everything is centered right. If I tighten the machine screws too hard, the rubber buttons go off center and they don't press in correctly.
I like this location a lot because it is easy to reach and it is not easy to see. Doing this anywhere else on the car would have left it in plain view or made it difficult to reach. The hardest part is drilling out those holes with the unibit because it's just not easy to get them centered correctly. I used the gray plastic trim taped up against the center console to get some small pilot holes drilled.
There was quite a bit of cutting with the Dremel, a lot of test fitting to make sure everything went together correctly. The top piece of the console had to have a vane trimmed off from it's underside (really easy) to allow it to snap back on the top.