Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Interior black mold

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 AM

Default Interior black mold

Hello. I have a 2009 xb and I took it into the dealer where I purchased it because the a/c quit working. It still had cold air but it was not blowing or circulating and condensation was also dropping on my feet when I drove. So they pulled up the carpets to see what was going on and found a lot of black mold. So much that the techs stopped working on it because its a health hazard and they think carpets needs to be replaced. We don't have an answer to what is happening with the a/c because they want the mold cleaned before they continue.

My question is, do you think that the mold clean up should be part of the warranty job? I purchased a mopar vehicle protection plan (because I bought it used at a dodge dealer). The tough part is we still don't know what is wrong with the a/c and if that's covered yet.. Had anyone had to do a mold clean up before?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear about your trouble. a quick google search says to use lysol products like you do at home. someone used a windex+vinegar solution (50/50) too. another person said to put dry air pellets into the car that would absorb excess moisture after you have the car cleaned up and have a new carpet installed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...ficial&spell=1

as for the mold clean up / warranty coverage - the mold clean up should be covered IF AND ONLY IF a manufacturer defect caused the water to leak into the car in the first place. regardless, the dealer has probably seen this issue before (the mold issue) so it would be worthwhile to ask them how much they would charge to remove it. otherwise, ask them how they plan on removing it and do it yourself at home.

hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also check this thread out - this may be why water is leaking into your cabin in the first place.

http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-ge...ger-floor.html
Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member

If you can get access to an air compressor blow air through the ac drain tube. More than likely a spider web is causing the blockage. As far as mold is concerned, you really don't want to mess with that yourself. Contact your insurance agent and see if remediation would be covered under your policy.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lysol may not be the best for mold infestations. If the carpet takes longer than 24 hours to completely dry (carpet and backing), the mold will grow back. This stuff is best left to the pros after the leak is taken care of.