Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Power outlets

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Power outlets

So has anyone added power outlets to your box yet? I'm thinking about adding a couple right next to the cig lighter outlet. Any ideas? Pros? Cons?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Power outlets

Originally Posted by KevinTxB
So has anyone added power outlets to your box yet? I'm thinking about adding a couple right next to the cig lighter outlet. Any ideas? Pros? Cons?
I think it's a good idea. There's a lot of wasted space in the center stack, and it's something that is definitely missing. Even the Matrix has one (I've always hated that car).
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should I plug into the existing cig outlet or go straight to the battery thru the firewall? I'm a noob to these things so I don't want to f anything up.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by KevinTxB
Should I plug into the existing cig outlet or go straight to the battery thru the firewall? I'm a noob to these things so I don't want to f anything up.
That depends on how many watts you'd like to have available. I would think that anything less than 200 watts is ok to tap into the cigaratte lighter leads. For higher watts, you'd probably want to go directly to the battery, and add some sort of relay to open the circuit when the car is off, that way you're not draining your battery. This may not be something you want to undertake by yourself if you don't understand electronics/electrical systems. I don't wholly understand it myself.

You'll probably also need to run an extension from a remote AC recepticle to the actual inverter, since you can't place that in the center stack (not cleanly anyway). I haven't found one online yet.

If all that is too complicated, you could route an additional DC plug to somewhere hidden, and just plug in an off the shelf inverter for laptops and mount it somwhere -- perhaps under the seat.