Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

POWERHOLE: thru the fire wall!!!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 AM
5 Year Member

Default POWERHOLE: thru the fire wall!!!

So... I wired the rca's to the pass side like in the first gen, all was happy it went well!
got to the drivers side and the power wire and realized there was basicly nooo way my little wire was going thu. spent three days after work everyday for three or four hours before i realized..............scion knew.

they only knew that we needed to go thru the wall.

not what side we would try to go thru!

on the passenger side there is a hole in the boot that leads to a nipple, that is a very cuttable nipple, and viola a clear thru the fire wall.

they made it for a 8 gage, its perfect for an 8 gage.

Im running a 0.

enter the lube! two straight guys (at least as i see it personally, not that i shun other lifestyles, i dont) should never (remember straight!!) need to use KY lube with each other. i now uhhhhhh, understand? so anyway you can,if properly motivated shove a 0 gage pole in a 8 gage hole.

i know this thread is worthless without pics, we got done after dark so bear with me, also i think this is my first post on the XB gen2 boards, so welcomes and Hi's are welcome.

-T-
Old 08-02-2007, 03:32 PM
SL Member

Default Re: POWERHOLE: thru the fire wall!!!

Originally Posted by Tstrel
on the passenger side there is a hole in the boot that leads to a nipple, that is a very cuttable nipple, and viola a clear thru the fire wall.
In my best Homer Simpson impersonation.....

Mmmmmmmmm, nipples.

they made it for a 8 gage, its perfect for an 8 gage.

Im running a 0.
D'oh!
enter the lube! two straight guys (at least as i see it personally, not that i shun other lifestyles, i dont) should never (remember straight!!) need to use KY lube with each other. i now uhhhhhh, understand? so anyway you can,if properly motivated shove a 0 gage pole in a 8 gage hole.
There is wire lube. Buy it in a bucket. It's great fun. For pulling wire, that is.
i know this thread is worthless without pics, we got done after dark so bear with me, also i think this is my first post on the XB gen2 boards, so welcomes and Hi's are welcome.
-T-
Can't wait to see the pics. My only real concern would be with interference, or picking up some noise from the power wire, if it's too close in proximity. But I'm glad there's a place to run a wire! I'm doing mine probably tomorrow night.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: POWERHOLE: thru the fire wall!!!

My understanding from some people are extremely knowledgeable is that you do not pick up noise this way. If you have noise, it is most likely another issue. Now, like you I have always heard this and have yet to run them together, but some pretty high end installs have them together with no problems

Originally Posted by Govt_Man
My only real concern would be with interference, or picking up some noise from the power wire, if it's too close in proximity. But I'm glad there's a place to run a wire! I'm doing mine probably tomorrow night.

Thanks for the info!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM
SL Member

I think the cables make a big difference as well. It's pretty common to pick up some noise. I know I've found some at home and at work, and have to be mindful of where I run wires. I think most decent cables for car audio (especially in a high end install) would prevent any noise or interference.

Maybe I'm wrong. Someone call Mythbusters.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I think that 12v and 115v would be a bit different.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
SL Member

Very true, though I don't know if it's actually the voltage or the amps. I'm certainly not saying you're wrong. I've heard it a lot, and I know some other folks say it doesn't matter. Maybe it really doesn't. That will make my life easier this weekend when I put my subs in.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Here's a couple shots of that passthru. The nipple is on the engine side.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:22 PM
SL Member

oh, sure, cheat and drop the glove box. pansy. j/k

Thanks for the pics. I took some, but never posted them.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Signal (RCAs) cable, shielded or not, IS susceptible to noise induction if it is run in too close a proximity to power or ground wire and connections. If you must pass the two across one another, do so at or as close to a 90 degree angle as possible to minimize the possibility of inducing noise.
For the most part, audible noise is caused by a poor ground connection or ground loop, but any induced noise can and will reduce the quality of your audio at higher gains. Save yourself the hassle and keep your signal as far away from power and ground as possible.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? Do you have measurements or any kind of documentation? I have always heard that, but have recently been involved in a car audio forum with some people that are extremely knowledgeable. Multiple IASCA champions, amp makers, engineers etc. and many of them say that it doesn't really matter.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

niiice. i was going to change HUs this weekend but i'll be using 4g. should be easier, less lube
Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for this. I woulda hit the same problem cause I always run power on the driver side. You saved me hours.

BTW: This has to be the only post I've ever seen about install subs with the most sexual innuendos ;)
Old 08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm going to try it today.

how do you remove the glove box?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:42 PM

To remove the glovebox, open it, unsnap the damper, (the little air shock that slows down the opening of the glovebox), on the right side. Then squeeze the sides of the glovebox together and open it further, it will unhinge itself. There is a diagram in the owners manual. Look under 'changing the air filter.'
Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by XBFred
really? Do you have measurements or any kind of documentation? I have always heard that, but have recently been involved in a car audio forum with some people that are extremely knowledgeable. Multiple IASCA champions, amp makers, engineers etc. and many of them say that it doesn't really matter.
I am a former IASCA competitor and Orion Team Xtreme Member from back in the day with many years of experience installing, tweaking, and modifying car audio gear. It has been my experience that passing signal too close to anything that gives off an electrical field can cause noise induction. Anything that passes current gives off some sort of electric field. The more power, the larger the field. The larger the field, the higher the likelihood of noise induction. This is common electronics. Even though power and ground cables and connections do not give off a massive field, they still DO produce enough field to induce noise if the signal is within the field for a prolonged stretch of area. The easiest way to avoid this possibility is to separate the signal from power and ground. Shielding has significantly reduced noise induction, but it has not entirely eliminated it. Rather than take the chance, I find it easier to keep my signal and power/ground wires and connections as far apart as possible.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm planning on running 0 gauge as well.
By the way, hello and welcome.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did it. I didnt use any type of lube and it still went through. I just had to pull slow.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did it. I didnt use any type of lube and it still went through. I just had to pull slow.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy double-post Batman! lol
What gauge did you use Whispaz?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 AM

Default firewall hole on drives side

I also hit the same problem but not for a stereo. I looked and looked the read here and then saw there is one also over the accelerator pedal. The pedal has a modual on it. The wire coming out of it goes to a lume that goes through the firewall just like the one on the passengers side. So there are two, one the drivers side and one on the passengers side. Thought this might help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: POWERHOLE: thru the fire wall!!!