Go Back   Scionlife.com » Scion xB 2nd Gen » Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge » Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

Default rear speakers quiet

Anyone else that has the base stereo have very low output on the rear speakers? I can't hear mine unless the fader is all the way to the rear, and even then they are super quiet, 80db or so at max vol.

I am going to remove the deck to see if there are any wiring problems, but short of that, I just wanted to see if it was normal. Might be a deck issue too. Hrmmm.

Thanks for any input. ;)
Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
5 Year Member
Safetyguy 114/M

I noticed the same thing. There is a HUGE accoustical void/emptiness behind the front seats. I went to a stereo shop and they recommended replacement speakers with pivoting tweeters to address this. Let me know if you decide to do this. I am a bit surprised more people haven't complained about this. I noticed it right away during my test drive.

Safetyguy
Safetyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
SL Member

city-soundzdotcom 30/M

You know what would be funny, if the factory wired one rear speaker up backwards, this would cause a low volume because one speaker would literally be opposite of the other speaker and cancel eachother out. Crazy but true, maybe not tho. Need new speakers....Check it out!

City-Soundz.com
Dont forget the DASH!!

Want to read my feelback?
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180777

Want to leave me feedback?
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=180777
city-soundzdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:33 AM   #4
SL Member

XBFred 44/M

didn't notice, after I got it first thing I did was fade stereo almost all the way forward. I am not really into my sounds coming from behind me.
XBFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 AM   #5

BigBHaller 40/M

Send a message via AIM to BigBHaller
Default Re: rear speakers quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Erik
Anyone else that has the base stereo have very low output on the rear speakers? I can't hear mine unless the fader is all the way to the rear, and even then they are super quiet, 80db or so at max vol.

I am going to remove the deck to see if there are any wiring problems, but short of that, I just wanted to see if it was normal. Might be a deck issue too. Hrmmm.

Thanks for any input. ;)
Yes, I noticed exactly the same thing!

I ordered the AVIC-Z2 and will be installing it next week. If it continues to do the same thing, then I'll know it is the wiring. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
SL Member

jackjon 32/M

the factory rear speakers are smaller. they are 5.25 while the fronts are 6.5. you can mount 6.5's in the back, with an adapter bracket.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #7

BigBHaller 40/M

Send a message via AIM to BigBHaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjon
the factory rear speakers are smaller. they are 5.25 while the fronts are 6.5. you can mount 6.5's in the back, with an adapter bracket.
I don't think it's due to the size. There is such a disparity between the volume levels of the front and back that it seems like the rears have been attenuated. I played with MCGong's SNS and his was more closely matched, yet still not equal. Perhaps it's just the base radio...?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

shorberg 35/M

watching this topic

<---interested in knowing too
Springfield, MO.
shorberg@gmail.com

Shine-N-Dine Every Third Saturday Night (Apr-Oct) Shine-N-Dine is a monthly meet-n-greet in Springfield MO for local tuners and enthusiasts to join up and share ideas
Scion Pinups
shorberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
SL Member

Bigfieroman 30/M

Send a message via AIM to Bigfieroman

Smartass said the rear speakers are 6.25? Anyone actually have confirmation on this (more than looking through the grill)?

Haters GO HOME! If you like the Gen 1 better, stay in the GEN 1 FORUMS!
Bigfieroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
5 Year Member
SL Member

Malibu_Rapper 114/M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfieroman
Smartass said the rear speakers are 6.25? Anyone actually have confirmation on this (more than looking through the grill)?
I confirmed with Smartass in that thread that the speakers is actually 5.25"

He said a 6.5" speaker will fit. It's very easy to see through the grill that it's a 5.25" speaker.
Malibu_Rapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
SL Member

mikemann 39/M

What I'm curious about is...is it worth it to replace the factory speakers if your not going to do a HU swap or amp install.

My brother has a silver xb2 and it has the base/stock radio. I think it sounds pretty decent stock. I am getting a white xb2 with the premium hu and I wouldn't mind doing a speaker upgrade, but honestly that's about it.

I know how I am and I can get crazy with the upgrades. ;-)

I was thinking about just getting something off crutchfield in what they consider high-end.

Think I'll see a difference, or total waste of time and money?

The other question I have is, has anyone also measured mounting depth as well. Do we have any issues there? I was looking at xbfred's thread on sound proofing the car and the one shot of his doors shows the speakers. They use a weird housing adapter to sort of bring the speakers out....

http://www.htubayarea.com
Owner - HobbyTown - Concord, CA
mikemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #12
Carr73 114/M

My premium is the same way. I can't even hear the back
Carr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 AM   #13
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

well, I removed the factory rear door speakers and replaced them with some Audax 5.25" 2-way coax's from Madisound.
The OEM rear speakers are actually about 6", and they are integrated into the large, angled adapter plate. To fit ANY aftermarket speakers, you will need to buy or make an adapter plate for the new ones to fit into the door hole. In doing so, you could fit a 3.5" to 7" woofer there easily. (5.25" and 6.5" are most popular)

The front doors use different speakers, a bit larger, but when going aftermarket, you can use any size you want really.

Also, speaker sensitivity (loudeness per watt) has nearly no difference based on size alone. Several other T/S specs will dictate how loud a given driver is (above about 200hz).

I am still trying to find time when my wife is home to tear her deck out and troubleshoot both the wiring and the deck itself for where the problem lies. I will keep you all updated.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
5 Year Member
SL Member

roXor_boXor 60/M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Erik
well, I removed the factory rear door speakers and replaced them with some Audax 5.25" 2-way coax's from Madisound.
The OEM rear speakers are actually about 6", and they are integrated into the large, angled adapter plate. To fit ANY aftermarket speakers, you will need to buy or make an adapter plate for the new ones to fit into the door hole. In doing so, you could fit a 3.5" to 7" woofer there easily. (5.25" and 6.5" are most popular)

The front doors use different speakers, a bit larger, but when going aftermarket, you can use any size you want really.

Also, speaker sensitivity (loudeness per watt) has nearly no difference based on size alone. Several other T/S specs will dictate how loud a given driver is (above about 200hz).

I am still trying to find time when my wife is home to tear her deck out and troubleshoot both the wiring and the deck itself for where the problem lies. I will keep you all updated.
OK I'm not sure I'm following you Erik.
You replaced the rear speakers.
It does not sound like that fixed the level issue if you are planning to tear it apart to find where the problem lies.
Is that right?
I am definitely following this since I notice that it takes a setting of 5 (of 7) to the rear to sound decent. Seems way excessive.
2008 Classic Silver Automatic with MobileHID 5000k's, Fogs with yellow Hella bulbs, LED Tail Lights, Tint, TRD Springs and rear Sway Bar, Spoiler, Axis Decade 19's, overhead console, RAZO RA118 shift ****, 120 sq ft of eDead and Parrot bluetooth so far....
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/a...t-shot-web.jpg
roXor_boXor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 AM   #15
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

nope, new rear speakers didn't help the problem. I am pretty sure its in the deck, but I am going to play with wiring and maybe open up the deck itself and see if there is anything I can do at the component level.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #16
marathonmarty 68/M

Default rear speaker output

You need to set-up the audio system for the xB. When it comes from the factory the system is set to tC by default. Push the SSP button in the middle till you hear a beep and th edisplay will show tC. Turn the volume control **** on the left and it will change to xB. Voila! Totally different sound! The dealer techs are supposed to do this before they sell the vehicle but they don't. I've owned 3 Scion products so far ('05 xB, '06 xA, and presently the ownwer of a new '08 SW xB) and none of them were set up correctly. By the way, this is all explained in the back of the manual for the audio system. Sometimes it pays to read them.
marathonmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #17
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

thanks Marty, I will go play with that right now ;) I read the manual as far as reprogramming the welcome message and that was it. I should know better, I am an electronics tech.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #18
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

damn, its a no-go. It was already set to XB. I tried all three, xb, xd, tc and none fix this issue. I don't have time to tear into it untill saturday, so I will post what I find.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #19
SL Member

mikemann 39/M

yeah I have the premium radio and already tried this. There is actually two ways to change this and they appear to be independent of each other.

on the premium with the radio on you can hold down ssp. With it off you can hold down menu.

What's weird is you can set them differently. xb on one tc on another etc.

Mine were both TC from the dealer. I've tried every combination possible and I cannot discern much of difference between any of the setting. The only one that seems to make much of a difference is "flat" and to me it's not for the better.

http://www.htubayarea.com
Owner - HobbyTown - Concord, CA
mikemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 AM   #20
5 Year Member
SRT4Erik 41/M

The different car settings for SSP is mainly just for EQ/time alignment. It shouldn't have anything to do with the actual "volume" output of the rear speakers.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Scionlife.com
Scion TC

Paid Advertisement

Tags
low, quiet, rear, scion, scionlife, speakers, volume, wiring, xb, xb2, xd