Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion Navigation System Subwoofer Install DIY - W/ Nav Fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion Navigation System Subwoofer Install DIY - W/ Nav Fix

Took care of this today, so, why not help out you all.

Disclaimer: Be Careful. Disconnect the battery before you start. If you break your nav system doing this... well, you did it wrong.

Helpful Links:
Toyota Hiring Harness Diagram - Look at the '87+ one (duh). Someone posted the old one somewhere else, kinda threw me off.
Line Output Converter- This is what I used

Steps:
1) Pull out headunit. (If you can't get this far, stop, seriously, get someone else to do it)
Picture of back of HU (haven't found a good one anywhere else)

Plugs you'll use Left to Right...
[Left Most Plug]: 12v+ ignition wire used for trigger wire
[Next]: Rear Speaker Wires
[Empty]
[Next]: Contains Purple Wire to cut and put switch for Randode's Nav fix.
[Biggest Plug on Right]: Not used

[Top Plug]: Has red parking brake wire to be grounded, and green wire to be cut (Also only for Randode's Nav fix.)

2) You can go any which direction you want here, but lets just start with wiring the line output converter.
You need to/should tap into the rear speakers, so following the Wiring Harness Diagram above, find the Rear Right/Left speaker wires.

For you lazies it's in the plug with 5 wires:
White - Rear Right -
Red - Rear Right +
Yellow - Rear Left -
Black - Rear Left +

The Line output converter comes w/ a book for where to plug in each thing, but again:
A5 - Left+
A6 - Left-
A7 - Right+
A8 - Right-

3) Wire the trigger (or whatever you wanna call it) wire. The one that'll tell the amp to turn on. It goes to the Gray 12V+ Ignition Wire on the 10 pin plug.

4)
Run the Power Wire from the battery. There's part of the wiring harness running through the firewall above the gas pedal. Cut the nipple off the part in the engine bay side, and shove the wire through there.

5) RCA Cables. Connect em to the Line Out Converter and run em to the trunk. [No picture]

6) Ground. There are several bolts in the trunk near the spare tire. Pick one.

7)
Plug in the amp/sub/etc & test.

My ghetto rig for the moment (ignore that the carpet hadn't been put back down), need to build something sometime.

And some pictures for Randode's Nav System bypass (missing the last step, need my wife to tell me which is the purple wire - damn colorblindness )
UPDATE: Purple Wire found... It's in the connector w/o the Blue wire.

Red Parking break wire moved and grounded:

Green Wire to cut:

Cut Purple Wire and add a switch:

Enjoy!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think you did a great job showing and explaining. Maybe others are in awe of what you did or too scared to do it
Old 09-11-2007, 11:27 PM
SL Member

It couldn't be more clear to me. Great job! Looks exactly like what I want to do as soon as I save $ for my sub/woof, or rims/tires, or springs, or...heck, I've only had mine since 09/08/07and I have a mile long list of things I want to do to her...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

may i ask what is going on in picture 6 with that 8 gauge wire hooked up to a 16 gauge wire? i see its power but you really shouldnt do that u have a thick wire with power being drawn from the battery to a thin wire which could get smoked if too much current is running through
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At first I thought you were talking about the remote wire, since it's a much larger gauge than what's on the wiring harness....

Though yea, I know what you're talking about after looking at the pictures. It's the way this amp is. It's quite old. Instead of having the 3 places where you'd just connect your Power, Ground, Remote and hold em in with a screw, it's an adapter cable that plugs into the amp, where you connect the wires coming from the adapter to the wires you added elsewhere throughout your system. I ran a system on that amp for 4 years in my other car with no problems. And don't worry, the final connections weren't with electrical tape... I just wanted to test the system before everything was connected.

At some point I'll build a box, maybe get a new amp, even though this one puts out more than enough with having an open trunk.

And thanks for all the praise guys.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good job, insaneinteni0n....... I would have thunk that dammn SCion would'ave put line out's on that dammn radio in the first place.. what were they thinkig???.. jh
Old 09-20-2007, 12:07 AM

Hey guy quick Question I bought the extended warranty with my new BSP XB and i wanna do my own DIY amp and sub. Does it void any part of my warranty. I don't wanna have the dealer do it cause its gonna cost a grip and i want the learning experience. What does everyone think?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ToFu_Blk
Hey guy quick Question I bought the extended warranty with my new BSP XB and i wanna do my own DIY amp and sub. Does it void any part of my warranty. I don't wanna have the dealer do it cause its gonna cost a grip and i want the learning experience. What does everyone think?
Dont know about that. BUT I do have a comment on your Extended warranty price you paid...
read page 2 of this thread....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...870582#2870582

remember.. you DO NOT have to purchase the warranty from the dealer who sold you your scion.. You can buy it anywhere!!! & Prices DO differ for the exact same warranties.

BY the way...
I have done this stuff myself..
installed spoiler, changed head unit, door speakers, installed illuminated door sills, changed guage cluster lights & H/AC contol lights.. & a few other things.. I am confident that Toyota had BETTER still stand behind their warranty.... Even though I did the stuff myself....
good luck... jh
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the advise, and I'll definitely try to shop around for cheaper warranty.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We've donte the shopping for you.. you WONT find a cheaper deal than this.. Now I aint making any commish from this or referrals or anything.. just trying to help you guys get the most of your money.. check the above post & click on the link.. read the thread. & call Troy at Toyota of Greefield . He is the real deal & the cheapest...
I mean, lets say you paid 17,300 for your scion.. & the dealer across the street will sell you the same one for 16500.. Who are you gonna buy from???
the guy across the street?? BUT only you cant visit his shop, you have to call him.. Same car.... returnable..... 700 bucks cheaper..... no brainer
Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

insaneintenti0n, just wanted to say thanks for sharing the info and pics!! (I never saw Randode's guide, only yours). I took care of it yesterday and it was surprisingly easy to do based on your post. I don't think I could have done it without the pictures you took. Though I think I might have benefited if it were a post on the nav bypass all on its own, sometimes the sub/amp instructions threw me off.

CUTTING THE GREEN WIRE:
I had a bit of trouble figuring out which one was the right one. So hopefully this helps the next person. On cutting the green wire, the one you want to cut is ALONE (not tied in a big group to other wires, it's just on its own as it gets tucked behind the steering wheel). Also, it has little spackles of silver on it every inch or so.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for that more clear picture, unity303. As i'm sure you noticed, getting a camera there wasn't impossible, but wasn't fun.

Glad i could help out, this 'mod' has come on handy on several occasions. Like alleviating my boredom for my hour+ drive to work and from work.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Just wondering about location on some of these shots? I know the red wire is under/near the parking break. I know the purple wire that needs a switch is behind the head unit/nav system. Can the lone green wire be cut behind the head unit as well or is it located behind the fuse box?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can the lone green wire be cut behind the head unit as well or is it located behind the fuse box?
Plipto, I am positive there is a green wire you can clip from the head unit, but I've never seen any info on where that green wire connects back to the head unit. I guess if you had a voltmeter (or whatever they're called) you might be able to perform tests, but I would just play it safe and go behind the fuse box. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Thanks unity303...Im still reluctant to tear apart the whole console and head unit to do this fix....but I'll give it a go.
Thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dam where was this thread when i needed it ! nice write up
Old 02-17-2008, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really want to thank you for posting the nav fix. Make's it look easy. Does this also fix the DVD player so it will play in drive???? If not how do I di that???
Old 02-17-2008, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bashor1
I really want to thank you for posting the nav fix. Make's it look easy. Does this also fix the DVD player so it will play in drive???? If not how do I di that???
yes, this will fix that too
Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are people doing trying to watch a DVD while driving?

Seems a lot like the lady who put a hot cup of McDonald's coffee between her legs while driving,
then was surprised when she burnt herself.

I repeat: Common sense is not common...
Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want the front to be able to play for my wife while driving 11 hrs on vacation....

Quick Reply: Scion Navigation System Subwoofer Install DIY - W/ Nav Fix