Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Scion Navigation System Subwoofer Install DIY - W/ Nav Fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew it had to be something like that.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I been studing this to long....There are two different ways from what I see. For the dvd player to work while driving you ground the red wire? and fro the nav fix you cut the green and extend both to a toggle switch? Is this correct? The purple wire is throwing me off I guess.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bashor1
I been studing this to long....There are two different ways from what I see. For the dvd player to work while driving you ground the red wire? and fro the nav fix you cut the green and extend both to a toggle switch? Is this correct? The purple wire is throwing me off I guess.
do all of it, in addtion to the dvd, you'll also get full function of the nav and ipod controls, for you wife to use of course
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I plan to do it, I just wanted to know if the the wires I mentioned was right. I looked under the dash and above the fuse box and didn't see the green wire, is it above the stering colume? Thanks
Old 02-23-2008, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got your message, i'll just post this here for everyone else, you have the purple and green backwards

Red Wire - Parking brake sensor - Ground it

Purple Wire - speed sensor - Switch it (cut the wire, put one end to one part of the switch, the other end to the other side - i used extra wire to extend it out to my glove box - though honestly, i NEVER turn the switch back on on the GPS works fine w/o it, it's the speed sensor, the only issue is tunnels and HEAVY cloudy cover)

Green Wire - um, reverse? - Cut it and walk away. (it's UNDER the steering column, near the fuse box near where your left knee would be while driving.

DONE!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, Thank you very much, I may try to get this done today.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:04 PM

on my car my green wire ran behind the glove box and my purple wire was yellow. is there a way i can just run it to like my rear defrost button or something? i dont want to add ANOTHER button. would like to just tap into something else.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by insaneintenti0n
I got your message, i'll just post this here for everyone else, you have the purple and green backwards

Red Wire - Parking brake sensor - Ground it

Purple Wire - speed sensor - Switch it (cut the wire, put one end to one part of the switch, the other end to the other side - i used extra wire to extend it out to my glove box - though honestly, i NEVER turn the switch back on on the GPS works fine w/o it, it's the speed sensor, the only issue is tunnels and HEAVY cloudy cover)

Green Wire - um, reverse? - Cut it and walk away. (it's UNDER the steering column, near the fuse box near where your left knee would be while driving.

DONE!
I think I get what you are saying, so the additional harness is for the dvd safety feature and for the speed sensor? Where exactly does the purple wire connect and will it work without messing with this? Thank you.
Sorry I am extreamly tired been in Iraq working 12's for too long.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just did this on shasta mc nasty's '08 xB last month. Found out there a few steps you can ignore completely... Particularly if you did the nav install yourself. Which is what it sounds like.

Purple - Ignore... don't even bother connecting it
Green - Ignore
Red - Ground it anywhere

that SHOULD work. You should be able to watch the DVDs anywhere, the GPS should work (except when in tunnels because you don't have the speed sensor hooked up), and you can modify your GPS destination while moving.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I got a question for ya..I dont have the Nav, but the premium hu.. is the amp remote turn on still the Gray wire?? I would think its the same, but....Thanks..
Old 05-30-2008, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would like to say yes... the wiring harness should be the same regardless of the HU you have.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
BY the way...
I have done this stuff myself..
installed spoiler, changed head unit, door speakers, installed illuminated door sills, changed guage cluster lights & H/AC contol lights.. & a few other things.. I am confident that Toyota had BETTER still stand behind their warranty.... Even though I did the stuff myself....
good luck... jh
If you're talking about the VSAs sold as Toyota extended warranty you need to make sure that you read everything in your agreement before you talk about what they BETTER do.

They only cover OEM parts installed by the dealer. After market radios and speakers are NOT covered nor is any damage to other parts cause by those parts, ditto with the new lights in your cluster and AC.

I say all this not to be a dick but because I don't want to hear you cry when you call me asking why I denied your claim.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 AM

Default 09 Scion Nav Fix

Just wanted to let everyone know the NAV fix works for the 09 as well. The only problem I have run into is finding a switch. Does anyone know where I can find a switch for an 09. The O8 switches do not fit. My dealer told me they wanted $85 for 1 switch.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM

I did the Navi Fix last night... Took a little over an hour.... thanks for the help with the pictures...
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by insaneintenti0n
Just did this on shasta mc nasty's '08 xB last month. Found out there a few steps you can ignore completely... Particularly if you did the nav install yourself. Which is what it sounds like.

Purple - Ignore... don't even bother connecting it
Green - Ignore
Red - Ground it anywhere

that SHOULD work. You should be able to watch the DVDs anywhere, the GPS should work (except when in tunnels because you don't have the speed sensor hooked up), and you can modify your GPS destination while moving.
Just to let you guys know I did this the other day and it worked but every time the car started to move over 10mph it would stop displaying the video, I think you still have to do the purple line (VSS). I'm going to get a switch and try it this tomorrow or friday but other then that this thread is very helpful! Thanks!!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 AM

i too just did this. i grounded the red wire left the green cut and also the purple. navi works good but when a movie dvd is playing it cuts out when you move, so i'm thinking the purple needs to be switched as mentioned.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM

What's the purpose of grounding the red wire for the parking brake. My friend with an 08 tc just cut the wire and his works perfectly fine. Is it a warranty issue or is it a model issue. It doesnt seem hard to do, I was just wondering if anyone had an answer to that
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the parking break supplies a ground signal when it's applied to the nav to let it know it's parked. if it's constantly grounded, then it'll always see that signal.

if your friend's works, then yay.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice i just did this to my navi and it worked but i had to use the switch cuz the navigation never responded but yeah THANK YOU !!!!! ohh and the 08 tc has a yellow wire.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
Dont know about that. BUT I do have a comment on your Extended warranty price you paid...
read page 2 of this thread....
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...870582#2870582

remember.. you DO NOT have to purchase the warranty from the dealer who sold you your scion.. You can buy it anywhere!!! & Prices DO differ for the exact same warranties.

BY the way...
I have done this stuff myself..
installed spoiler, changed head unit, door speakers, installed illuminated door sills, changed guage cluster lights & H/AC contol lights.. & a few other things.. I am confident that Toyota had BETTER still stand behind their warranty.... Even though I did the stuff myself....
good luck... jh
that warranty you got blows, .. most are 100k mile warranties from toyota extra care.. not just a 75k.. fyi...

Quick Reply: Scion Navigation System Subwoofer Install DIY - W/ Nav Fix