Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Seat height?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Seat height?

Is the Seat height the same in the 2008 compared to the previous ones?

It's been over a year since I sat in the original and I can't remember.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-26-2019 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 07-29-2007, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The driver's? Not sure, but remember the driver's side is adjustable..
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Liquid-R1
the driver's side is adjustable..
Yes, but not by all that much. It does help with the seat angle though.

Adjusted fully down.

Adjusted fully up.

Sorry about the lousy cell phone cam pics. I took them while at a dealership looking at the new xB.

I actually have the same question as freckles. Because some of the reviews say that you sit lower in the new xB. But I'm wondering if they just mean that because of the higher beltline, it makes it seem like you are sitting lower. And the roof is a bit lower on the gen2 so that could be a factor as well. I haven't measured/compared the actual distance from the floor for the gen1 and gen2. But that would be the actual test as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by toronado
And the roof is a bit lower on the gen2 so that could be a factor as well.
Are you sure? I thought the roof heights were about the same.

edmunds.com lists 63" for both 2004 xB and 2008 xB:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...1/pageNumber=2
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...9/pageNumber=3

toyoland.com lists 64.6" for gen1 and 64.7" for gen2:
http://www.toyoland.com/scion/scion-xB.html
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Also, I just noticed that Edmonds.com and Toyoland.com both list the front headroom of 46.1" for Gen1 and 40.0 for Gen2.

So at least on the surface of it, it looks like Gen2's front seat height could be roughly 6" higher than that of Gen1 (if we can assume about the same roof thicknesses), given that they seem to have about the same roof heights.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-26-2019 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 07-29-2007, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyopet
Also, I just noticed that edmonds.com and toyoland.com both list the front headroom of 46.1" for gen1 and 40.0 for gen2.

So at least on the surface of it, the gen2's front seat height could be roughly 6" higher than that of gen1 (if we can assume about the same roof thicknesses), given that they seem to have about the same roof heights...
OK... first of all, seat height , headroom, and vehicle height are all separate dimensions. And less headroom in the 2nd gen could actually translate to equal seat height for the 1st and 2nd gen, but with less headroom in the 2nd gen due to a lower roof. Or, if the headroom is less in the 2nd gen they might have reduced the height of the seat (relative to the floor of the car) accordingly to maintain relative headroom. But this is just speculation since I've not actually measured anything myself.

Now... about the vehicle height... I've seen different specs floating around but have generally seen 1st gen 65" and 2nd gen 63". But the whole problem with these specs is you don't know where they are measuring that on the 2nd gen. If the 65" is accurate for the 1st gen, (and I believe it is) it is a good measure of how high the roof is (at least on the outside) over the driver's head since the 1st gen has a perfectly even roof from front to back. But the 2nd gen's roof is lower in the front and higher in the back. So if the 63" spec is a measurement of the roof at its highest point, then that could mean that the roof is lower than 63" at the point that is directly over the driver's head. So my guess would be that the difference in specs that you see is due to different measuring methods and a lack of standardization thereof.

But what really counts as far as seat height goes (as far as I'm concerned) is how far the seat cushion is from the floor of the car. In other words, it's not so much how high you sit relative to the street and other cars, but how high off the floor of the car you are in that matters most.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

But the 2nd gen's roof is lower in the front and higher in the back.
I wasn't aware of that...

But what really counts as far as seat height goes (as far as I'm concerned) is how far the seat cushion is from the floor of the car. In other words, it's not so much how high you sit relative to the street and other cars, but how high off the floor of the car you are in that matters most.
OK, I just assumed freckles01 was interested in the height of the seat relative to the road surface (vs. car floor) but perhaps I assumed wrong there...
Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default seat height

does anyone have the dimensions of seat height measured from the floor of the car and from the ground on the 2006 or earlier?

i saw the 2006 xb ground clearance is 6.1" vs 2008 5.1". so unless the height from the floor of the car went up 1" i suspect the seat height went down 1"

will the lower ground clearance make the front bumper more prone to scratches? i remember seeing a lot of scrapes in the original.

[/quote]
Old 07-29-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: seat height

Originally Posted by freckles01
i saw the 2006 xb ground clearance is 6.1" vs 2008 5.1". so unless the height from the floor of the car went up 1" i suspect the seat height went down 1"
I wouldn't deduce anything about seat height from a ground clearance number. Ground clearance is just the distance from the road surface to the lowest object on the underside of the car such as an oil pan, or suspension component, etc. Basically, it's a measurement of the tallest object you can safely drive over or "clear" without it striking something underneath the car.