Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

sub option and opinion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default sub option and opinion

So the original plan was under seat subs but it would take me awhile to find time to build it. Now the plan is to buy one for the trunk area. The options are JL Stealthbox or this other one from ebay. The cheapest I found for the stealthbox was around $600. For the JL the break down would be like $250 for sub by itself and $350 for the box. The ebay one is $250 for just the enclosure and no sub. Which one to get? I cannot seem to find that much people who installed the ebay one unless I searching under the wrong keywords.

thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scion-xB-08-...item3a8450263f

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-ste...ration-2-07-up
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are plenty of people that have bought ebay set ups, but they usual include the enclosure and the sub. The sub is what everyone has a problem with for that it's junk. The enclosures do contribute to sound quality a bit, but obviously not nearly as much as the sub itself. The sub is where you're money's at. If you are worried about fitment because it's ebay, then I wouldn't worry too much. If they are guarenteeing fitment, then you're good. You can get a nice sub for less than $350 so you stay under that $600 mark, but I'm not sure your budget on this. You know you need an amp as well, yes? Either way, that enclosure will be fine.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by criminaltc
There are plenty of people that have bought ebay set ups, but they usual include the enclosure and the sub. The sub is what everyone has a problem with for that it's junk. The enclosures do contribute to sound quality a bit, but obviously not nearly as much as the sub itself. The sub is where you're money's at. If you are worried about fitment because it's ebay, then I wouldn't worry too much. If they are guarenteeing fitment, then you're good. You can get a nice sub for less than $350 so you stay under that $600 mark, but I'm not sure your budget on this. You know you need an amp as well, yes? Either way, that enclosure will be fine.
thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 AM

Remember, the JL setup is specifically designed and tested to work with the JL sub meeting its enclosure specs. The other one you would need to find the sub to fit the enclosure based on the enclosures specs. You can put the best sub in the world in any box but its not going to work if its not meeting the needs of the sub.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice inclosure. I wish I could get one for each side. I have 2 fosgate p3 12"
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chefhow
Remember, the JL setup is specifically designed and tested to work with the JL sub meeting its enclosure specs. The other one you would need to find the sub to fit the enclosure based on the enclosures specs. You can put the best sub in the world in any box but its not going to work if its not meeting the needs of the sub.
true
Old 12-22-2013, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, you can use any speaker that works in the internal volume of the JL enclosure. You can adjust how the speaker sounds by adjusting it's internal volume and port length using Theil-Small calculators. Your bass can be tight (but not excessively deep, a value of .505). A real heavy bass, value of 1.5, but sloppy. The middle is .707, generally what most enclosures are built to.

In conventional speaker building, you select the driver, based on about how big you want the enclosure. Then, using Theil-Small calculations, build the enclosure. Careful attention needs to be made in order to make the box as rigid as possible: cut accuracy within 1/32", all angles within .5 degree, screws, glue and sealant for all joining pieces. Then stuffing the box with fiber fill and experimenting by adding or removing the fill to get the smoothest sound. You'll need good tools and the willingness to throw out pieces that don't work. It's a bit of work and if you're not comfortable with power tools, it's best to practice a lot or buy and enclosure.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I built this box for my car using a jl 10w6v3 in spare tire well with amps and all. I used a spacer over it with a shelf so I could haul stuff and still have stereo. It sounded awesome, and I still had my hatch

Name:  IMG_20130408_114433_zps38956156.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  68.2 KB

I also built a box for a friend who has the jl stealthbox with 12w3 in it. He wanted something like pic above, so I did same thing for his. It sounds a lot better than the stealthbox, plus it didn't cost much to build
Old 07-27-2014, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2012lavabox
I built this box for my car using a jl 10w6v3 in spare tire well with amps and all. I used a spacer over it with a shelf so I could haul stuff and still have stereo. It sounded awesome, and I still had my hatch

I also built a box for a friend who has the jl stealthbox with 12w3 in it. He wanted something like pic above, so I did same thing for his. It sounds a lot better than the stealthbox, plus it didn't cost much to build
Do you have pics of what it looks like underneath.