Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
thanks for the tip but what do you mean that i should 'pick it up at the end of the lease?' to my understanding, my down payment is not refundable and even if i were to lease another merc, the dealer said i would have to put in another down payment from scratch - essentially i'll be paying another $25k+ for another merc (down payment + monthlys for 39 months)... is there something im missing?

as for the power trai, i think i am the only person on this forum that was happy with the gen1 power train. it's an economy car and i simply wanted to be able to get around town. as a joke, my friends would say that the gas pedal on the xB gen1 only made the engine louder :D haha
from another gen 1 and Mercedes owner I have an ML350 Bluetec I would agree that the gen 1 had enough power, it never felt slow
Old 02-13-2012, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
from another gen 1 and Mercedes owner I have an ML350 Bluetec I would agree that the gen 1 had enough power, it never felt slow
To be honest, I easily have more than enough power with my xB2 (though to be sure, it's occasionally fun that way ). I actually think I'd have been happy with a 2.0L, perhaps even the Rumion 1.8L. I really don't think most people need anywhere near the power modern automobiles provide. Is it really all about the race from one red light to the next? The cost of fuel is far more a concern to me !
Old 02-13-2012, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
I agree, until I put 2 or 3 people in it, then I would have to whine the crap out of it just to get up a hill. Of course some of my friends aren't fly weights lol.

The xB2 has a decent amount of torque, but I wouldn't complain if there was more. I personally don't care about mpg all that much, but I know most folks do.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VENisME
I agree, until I put 2 or 3 people in it, then I would have to whine the crap out of it just to get up a hill. Of course some of my friends aren't fly weights lol.

The xB2 has a decent amount of torque, but I wouldn't complain if there was more. I personally don't care about mpg all that much, but I know most folks do.
I agree, I would be very happy with more power in exchange for less mpg. I am only getting 21 city right now anyway. As long as I am getting around 20 I am happy.

If I wanted to save the world and gas money I would get a Prius or something equal to it.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
^^^ BINGO!

@jnaval - the e350 is amazing. It literally feels like you're driving the comfiest couch on the planet powered by an amazing engine. It's a very smooth car and I have been bitten by the Mercedes bug. I plan on getting an s550 in a few years. mine had the p2 package, panaroramic sunroof, gun metal gray exterior and white interior... the car is a work of art on wheels. the ipod integration with the car is one of the nicest ones i've seen - so fluid and easy to use, not cumbersome while driving. in short - mb knows what they're doing.

The benz has been good - some minor technical glitches though (passenger side window motor went bad, quirky problems with auto-up on the windows leaving the window open sometimes, et al).. these are very minor compared to what happened at 1800 miles....

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w212...-one-time.html

I've had the car for like 2+ years now and it only has 14k miles on it - that's another reason i dont want an expensive car - i barely drive. but what sucks is that i had almost 40k miles on the box and i never had a single MINOR OR MAJOR issue with it... at 14k miles, the benz has some quirks that i am actually quite surprised to find...

but i digress. i want an xB again because it was such a fun car to drive. i parked it anywhere and didnt care about it. it got awesome gas mileage, it's big, it has some great standard features and for the price, i could not find a comparable car. when i bought my 06 xB brand new, i told myself i would never sell it.... idk why i did... i honestly regret it... it had almost 40k miles and i didn't have a single issue in the almost 4 years that i had it... if i had to make the choice again between keeping my 06 xb and getting a new benz, i would keep the box without hesitation.

just for comparison sakes, if you take the down payment + the 38 monthly payments for my e350, you can almost literally lease an xb for FOUR 3-YEAR LEASES IN A ROW for the same cost of the benz for 3 years....... my e350 has almost every option (sticker was almost $70k) except massaging seats because i didnt want to die in a car crash after falling asleep after a killer massage :D

i can afford another benz, even the s-class, but i just want something carefree... plus, i got bitten by the travel bug and would rather spend my $ on flights to miami than on a car i barely drive ;-) haha
You make some damn good points. I completely understand about the pricing. Hell that's the reason I ended up with an xB. It was pretty much all I could afford after drowning in my Mazda 6 wagon lease. My 09 scion xB has spent plenty of time in a shop, with nothing to show for it. hell it's 10X worse than when it went in. How do you still not fix a known creek in the dash? It's 2012 and they still can't figure out what to do. How about the loose bolts in the b pillar? Again, simple stuff that even and entry level car shouldn't have to deal with. I know I didn't but a Lexus but a honda fit, nissan versa, toyota yaris, are all put together better than the xB. If i wasn't so damn upside down, I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat... About your wheels, I work at a tire shop and I see this kind of thing ALL the time. From Benzes to VWs to Toyotas to Fords. It's nothing new and it's not just your car. I totally understand your frustration, but it's physics. Hit the pothole at the right angle and speed.. it's gonna happen. A car came into work today all 4 wheels bent. Don't get me wrong it sucks, but you're not alone...

Originally Posted by AAG
Do not buy one until they upgrade the ancient powertrain. I'm sorry but a 2012 model anything should not have a 4 speed auto.
Couldn't agree more. Why in 2012 is there still a 4-speed transmission?? Mind Boggling. Just think what better gas mileage we'd get with one more gear.

Originally Posted by pyroman131
A lot of people bash the power train, but that torque has always come in handy when I needed it. My xB stock can really gun it sometimes when I need that power.

And with bolt-ons, although only minimally faster, helps out tremendously, too.

You might want to give the new xB a test drive and see how it compares to your old box. It's totally different, not nearly as economy-oriented as your generation was. You'll notice the increase in power immediately.
I agree about the torque. It amazes me the passing power my little $h!tbox has. Even my wife liked driving it (pre coils) because of the pickup it has. Just don't expect great gas mileage and you'll be pleasantly surprised!!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get great torque from my 2008 as well as 27+ mpg. To be sure, I'd prefer even greater mpg, but how one drives hugely impacts that ! I personally drive primarily for mpg -- though, lack of highway miles has to limit that .
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xb2 has a dope power n speed if ur looking to have fun. I've done almost ever bolt on mod currently out there.If you do it right it can have close to mid range v6 power. And mines an auto. I hate the 4spd but it gets the job done!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Darrenohooligan
You make some damn good points.

I appreciate the kind words. I even looked up the tire/bolt patterns on the current xB and the rims that i currently have on the benz will fit an xB if i decide to get one :D

but yeah, i had such a horrible experience with the wheels/tires and there was actually a lawsuit put together by maybe 200 people against mercedes benz because their rims are of inferior quality. not sure where that went though.

anyway, a friend of mine has a versa and im digging those as well... but the xB just has more options and the interior is nicer.... no matter what car i compare the xB against, the xB always wins for price & what you get :D

the only positive thing i can think of is that most of the other cars i am considering (versa, element, civic, etc) is that you can negotiate those prices if you are buying the car out right with cash, which i plan to do for my next xB.... when i purchased my first xb, the dealer would not budge on the price.....

Last edited by midtowndesi; 02-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the time is nearing!!!

My benz goes back to MB in about 4 months. I've been thinking about it over the last few months and I'm 99.9% sure that I'm getting a 2012 WHITE xB because i miss my 2006 white xb so much >:D

Does anyone know of any Scion deals or anything going on around year end?

I plan on getting it with auto trans, front+rear sway bars, foglights. I think that's it for me - i'm really not a big mod person.....
Old 08-27-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
I'm pretty sure there's no info out yet regarding a next version -- if there were, I'm pretty sure I'd have spotted a thread on one of the forums I frequent. I guess the 2014 model year is a possibility since they did a refresh for the 2011.
I forget where I read the info but the XB is no longer. I didn't read this entire thread but I know for sure that xb is no longer. the orignal plan for Scion was to create one model let it run a short course and stop it. the orignal xb was so successful they refreshed it to the current xb2. According to the article I read, I wish I could find it, it will be no more!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are right - there is no "redesigned 2013" model xB. from what i have read, the 2012 will be the last year and, also from what i've read, they are not planning on making something to replace it (as of yet...)

so that's the other thing i'm wondering... get a 2012 xb or go to another company? i dig the nissan versa but they're not as appealing to me as the xb.

i actually had a nissan versa sedan as a rental last week and it was so much fun to drive - reminded me a lot of the xb gen 1.. very light steering wheel, very nible, good handling...... but the versa sedan is like getting a toyota echo! dependable but YUCK in terms of style l0l
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't go nissan. Get a xb, scion is always in THE TOP for quality and dependability. If I am not mistaken we are number one according to consumer reports.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think that Scion has something planned to replace the xB or they will slowly die! In my opinion, the TC is the only Scion left that would generate sales. The new Subaru/Scion FS-R is getting into a price area where you have lots of choices with other car lines.

I believe there is something coming down the pike to replace the xB.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbscion
I think that Scion has something planned to replace the xB or they will slowly die! In my opinion, the TC is the only Scion left that would generate sales. The new Subaru/Scion FS-R is getting into a price area where you have lots of choices with other car lines.

I believe there is something coming down the pike to replace the xB.
Well, I can't easily consider replacing my xB2, but afterall, I've modded it out the whazoo (you might say it's pretty much tailored for me ). I've read great reviews on the FR-S, but it's a question of what you're looking for. Hey, maybe the KIA hamstermobile is the best fit !
Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you for the input, guys!

I am considering something for utility so the TC/FRS are totally out for me... besides, I think the FRS is very expensive for a scion but I am sure you get the performance/handling they are advertising... but it's not for me.

I personally don't like the look of the KIA... i dig the nissan cube but it's too small on the inside. the xB is the perfect combo of size, price, features and reliability! i miss my 06 box so much bc it was incredible how reliable it was - something that mercedes could never match regardless of how smooth the ride is!

I like the nissan versas (sedan and hatchback) so those are an option... i'm paying in all cash which scion dealers don't care about but if i walk into a nissan dealer, they will probably give me a nice chunk off the price of a versa.... so this is what im thinking... but again, i prefer the xb size..... but then again the versa gets better gas mileage.... (i was always fine with the 106hp of my 1st gen box, never complained about it! i want better mpg over performance)
Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Go with the Kia Soul if you want something similar to the xB. Similar dimensions, looks better (2012+ models), more features, 6 speed transmissions, and better fuel economy.

My wife is in need of a new hauler soon and although she loves my xB, I wouldn't buy her a new one. Its outdated vs the competition.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I for one love the 4-speed in the xB honestly... peppy and it doesn't hunt through gears endlessly. I hate touchy 6-speed transmissions. Five is a good compromise, but 6 is overkill...
Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Invertalon
I for one love the 4-speed in the xB honestly... peppy and it doesn't hunt through gears endlessly. I hate touchy 6-speed transmissions. Five is a good compromise, but 6 is overkill...
Peppy is not what I would consider the 4-speed auto. Its what I first test drove and I was disappointed to say the least. Had it not been for the 5-speed manual, I would have never bought the xB (I hated the auto that much).
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HMMMMMMMM.... i was about to order my 2012 xb this week until i saw this:

http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-ge...9-2013-xb.html

from the site:

Team Scion!

Get ready for the arrival of the 2013 xB! It will feature a few exterior and interior tweaks along with the addition of a few new colors. It’s slated to arrive February 2013.

Overview of the 2013 xB changes:

Exterior

* Front lower grille painted gloss black
* Rear bumper adds diffuser blackout
* Front bumper adds LED accessory lamps

Interior:

* Center IP color change to bronze tone
* Seat insert color change to bronze accents
* AC control dial adds chrome surrounds
* Interior lamp auto cut
* Removal of rear door panel cup holders
* Front map pocket shortened by 2 inches
* Front floor mat hook shape change

Color

* Add: Absolutely Red (3P0) and Nautical Blue Metallic (8S6)
* Delete: Stingray Metallic (8T4) and Elusive Blue Metallic (9AF)

2013 xB Colors

040 Super White

1F7 Classic Silver Metallic

209 Black Sand Pearl

3R0 Sizzling Crimson Mica

4V0 Army Rock Metallic

3P0 Absolutely Red

8S6 Nautical Blue Met

Images and pricing details will be disclosed shortly.

so it looks like there will be a 2013.... in that case, im going to hold off on my order.

interesting because i have found no other information on the internet!

Last edited by midtowndesi; 11-26-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Scion xB & Release Series info. Lots of pics of my White 2013 "build" on p8+