Epidemic Water Pump Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

So I checked the coolant level this morning and sure enough it's low again, it's a little above the low mark. I added some more fluid to it which was only a few ounces at the most. I did notice that the same pink build up stuff on my hood liner is building up around the coolant cap (around the threads). I'm going to go buy another one in a bit from the dealer and hopefully this fixes it.

Last edited by AAG; 10-03-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AAG
So I checked the coolant level this morning and sure enough it's low again, it's a little above the low mark. I added some more fluid to it which was only a few ounces at the most. I did notice that the same pink build up stuff on my hood liner is building up around the coolant cap (around the threads). I'm going to go buy another one in a bit from the dealer and hopefully this fixes it.
Yeah I drove my Tc this morning and then let it idle in the driveway for quite some time, turning the heater on and off, AC on and off, nothing I did however helped me locate exactly where the leak is coming from. It's definitely leaking onto the belts because that's whats making the perfect line on the hood liner. Please let me know if the new cap solves your issue, that seems like an easy fix, but I'm skeptical that's the actual problem. I want to take mine in but I know the dealer is going to gouge me just to diagnose the problem, if they can even diagnose it.

Last edited by Omikron77; 10-03-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Omikron77
Yeah I drove my Tc this morning and then let it idle in the driveway for quite some time, turning the heater on and off, AC on and off, nothing I did however helped me locate exactly where the leak is coming from. It's definitely leaking onto the belts because that's whats making the perfect line on the hood liner. Please let me know if the new cap solves your issue, that seems like an easy fix, but I'm skeptical that's the actual problem. I want to take mine in but I know the dealer is going to gouge me just to diagnose the problem, if they can even diagnose it.
Are you out of the powertrain warranty period? I belive it should be covered under that. I'll be calling my dealer on Monday and taking it in sometime this week. The techs at my work (Ford dealer) confirmed that its the water pump.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Default Warranty

I'm still under the 5year 50,000 mile mark....so I'm good there I guess.

I believe water pumps are covered under the power-train warranty, I'll have to check more closely. I guess I hope mine is also the water pump so it doesn't cost me anything to fix. Although the water pump failing after only 12,500 miles is kind shocking don't you think? Doesn't give me a lot of confidence in this car going forward... Maybe I should have went with my first choice an Acura RSX

Keep us posted...

I'll be trying to get an appointment at the dealer ASAP and I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know on the chevy v8 the water pump has a 1/8 1/4 hole in the water pump that will leak if the pump is going out not sure if the xb has one or not .
Old 10-03-2009, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Perhaps it is related to the noise I hear during cold startups... Its almost like a whining, rocky noise near the pulley area. Hmm
Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would change the water pump the bearings are shot is my guess. dont put it off till it locks up and your belt flys off then you will need to buy that to.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im thinking its the bearings... I hate design flaws cause I feel like its just gonna happen again and its already happened to us...

I went out to look and I also see spray on the A/C line near the water pump and also on the bracket connecting to the motor from the motor mount which is also right near the water pump... its def from the water pump. Im thinking bout taking the car in.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they must use the same bearing in the rear wheel bearings mine locked up at 49,000 miles
Old 10-05-2009, 07:28 PM

Default ?

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
they must use the same bearing in the rear wheel bearings mine locked up at 49,000 miles
I'm not sure what that even means? Your backwheels completely locked up at 49,000 miles? That's insane....

Anyway I have a appointment at the dealer on Thursday to have mine looked at. When I talked to the Tech he seemed to be aware that this was a common problem with the 2AZ-FE motor. It didn't sound like this was the first time he's heard the phrase..."pink line on my hood liner" .... he did confirm that it's covered under the power train warranty so that's a good thing I guess.....still makes me uncomfortable...

Anyway I'll keep you all posted on what goes down.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This same thing happened to me about two weeks after i bought my car. My old man nothiced a small line of coolant spray on the hood insulator, he knew right away it needed a water pump (he has been a tech for toyota for 20 years) He said that our four cylinder motor is comon for blowing the seal behind the water pump. So 99% sure it is covered under warranty. It only took my old man 20 mins to change every thing out belts seals w/pump
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed my coolant is low now as well...
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 PM

i found a small leak in mine after, closely examining it for 2 hours straight, ordered a new plastic resevoir tank and OEM fluid at http://toyotpartszone.com

cheaper than i expected. Should be coming soon
Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2AZFEMTM1F7
This same thing happened to me about two weeks after i bought my car. My old man nothiced a small line of coolant spray on the hood insulator, he knew right away it needed a water pump (he has been a tech for toyota for 20 years) He said that our four cylinder motor is comon for blowing the seal behind the water pump. So 99% sure it is covered under warranty. It only took my old man 20 mins to change every thing out belts seals w/pump

Wow this is really starting to look like a widespread problem.

I'm curious did you replace yours with the OEM pump or is there a better one out there that would be less likely to leak in the future?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No better pump just the oem replacement, but it is a common problem...just out of my curiosity are most of these problems happening around thirty, or around sixty thousand miles??? Mine went almost exactly at thirty every one in the shop agreed that they seem to go in increments of thirty, even the camrys go bad. I would be curious to see if toyota changed manufacturers for the pumps
Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2AZFEMTM1F7
No better pump just the oem replacement, but it is a common problem...just out of my curiosity are most of these problems happening around thirty, or around sixty thousand miles??? Mine went almost exactly at thirty every one in the shop agreed that they seem to go in increments of thirty, even the camrys go bad. I would be curious to see if toyota changed manufacturers for the pumps
Mine is a 2006 with only 12,600 miles on it, so maybe it's an age thing instead of a miles thing? I don't know...I just know my car is basically brand new so I don't know.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My level seemed to be fine until my last check... I am at 34,500 miles...

I think it will be going to the dealer in the next few weeks here.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I called and made an appointment to take my car in Thursday as well. I mentioned the low coolant tank and white line on the hood liner and the assistant manager didn't seem too shocked. I'll talk to him more when I drop that car off and try and get more info for everyone.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Question,

I have 34,500 miles now... Would this be covered under bumper-2-bumper warranty (@ 3yr/36k) or the powertrain one? (@ 5yr/60k).

Just so I know how soon I need to get it in! I plan to next week though.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You all should check the belt tension as too tight a belt can stress the water pump. I had my first pink spray just like you guys under the hood over the belt area a couple of years ago on my 06xB and got the gallon of the pink coolent from the dealer and added some to the overflow tank which was really low. I probably leaked when my engine got hot a couple of times in the 205 - 210 degree area with the fan screeming away. Since then there has not been any problems and I am only at 28,500 now after almost 4 years. The coolent has a sealer in it and if you do have a rumbling in the water pump it could be bad bearings from too tight a belt.

Quick Reply: Epidemic Water Pump Problem!